PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A4 fret repair

Plainsman
Aug-31-2014, 5:44pm
I had an earlier post for a missing turner screw (thanks Gail) for this circa 1916 Gibson A4 that I am trying to revive after it being hid under a bed for past 45 years. After cleaning it up i discovered some fair damage to first 3-4 frets and actual grooves in the fret board (butchered). It still plays (sort of) but needs fret work and notice the "custom" string grooves on the nut. I have a local luthier that I plan to turn it over to but wanted to see if anyone had encountered anything like this and if the fretboard can be salvaged with filler or something without replacing the fretboard. My desire is to try to keep it as original as possible, yet I also want it set up to play as well. It is a fine old instrument that has been mute for almost half a century, so I think it deserves some TLC and enjoy it for its original purpose. Any advice, experience or tutelage I can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

sunburst
Aug-31-2014, 7:17pm
No problem. You should see some of the fingerboards (and "custom" work) that come through repair shops.
You'll be looking at a complete re-fret (includes milling the fingerboard level) and a new nut, but that's appropriate for an old instrument. If some of the trenches in the 'board don't mill away when it's leveled, it's not big deal, other than cosmetics.

peter.coombe
Aug-31-2014, 8:37pm
Yep, doesn't look too bad to me, I have seen far worse. Remove frets and nut, level fretboard, re-fret, new nut and should be fine.