PDA

View Full Version : Mando Comparo? Loar LM 500 v Loar LM 520 v Kentucky KM 675?

jmh81
Aug-28-2014, 8:18am
Hello everyone!

I am new to the mandolin cafe forum but have been a reviewer of the website for the last year. I am a 10+ year guitar player but picked up a mandolin earlier this year and wish I had begun playing mandolin 10 years ago instead! I currently play a Washburn M1S. It is a nice beginner mandolin but I am finding myself out growing it and wanting a mandolin of all solid woods. I can't help but want a F-style as well. The three mandos: the two Loars and one Kentucky all seem pretty comparable (in style, price, materials). Just looking for thoughts and feelings on them? This is likely to be my mando for the next 5 years until (if needed) another upgrade might be required. Interested in how they open up, build quality, durability, etc! Thanks for any feedback!

multidon
Aug-28-2014, 8:47am
The Kentucky actually costs a couple hundred more most places than the Loar models you specify. The Loar 600 is closer in price. They will all be a little rough in fit and finish especially around the scroll at that price point. In the Loar models favor you get an ebony fret board and bridge as opposed to the Kentucky rosewood. But with the 500 series you get poly finish while with the Kentucky and the Loar 600 you get lacquer. That being said all other things being equal I prefer the sound of a Kentucky generally. You do have to judge instruments individually though. Play first if you can. Listen to the sound samples on The Mandolin Store web site. And buy it someplace that does a professional set up as part of the price. Really you can't go too wrong with any of your choices. Another you may want to consider is the Eastman 315. Good luck!

jmh81
Aug-28-2014, 8:52am
Should also mention the Washburn M3SW. I am really looking for a good F-style mando with all solid wood construction for around 500 new or less used.

Folkmusician.com
Aug-28-2014, 11:14am
I would say that the LM-520 is really the only choice around the $500 mark (at least if we are talking new). The M3SW is not in the same class as the other mandolins mentioned (Kentucky, The Loar, Eastman).