PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron OM at McCabe's

Petrus
Aug-22-2014, 12:36pm
Here's something I didn't know they even made: an octave mando, by the folks that made all those cool Flatiron pancake style mandos. I saw it at McCabes in Santa Monica the other week. NFI, it's out of my price range (about a grand) but if anyone is in that area and interested in this sort of instrument it might be worth stopping in and taking a look (if it's still there.)

allenhopkins
Aug-22-2014, 9:35pm
The Flatiron "3's" are good instruments. I've owned my 3K for nearly 30 years now, gotten a lot of mileage out of it. Price is at the higher end of what they seem to go for, but not unreasonable.

delsbrother
Aug-23-2014, 2:18am
How'd it sound?

trevor
Aug-23-2014, 2:45am
There's plenty around, they pop in the classifieds fairly regularly. Chris Thile plays one.

Petrus
Aug-23-2014, 3:17pm
It sounded pretty good. The thing that surprised me about the Flatirons (the OM as well as the mandos) is how small the body is. In the photo you can see a bit of a Trinity College OM hanging next to it and you can get idea of how small the Flatiron is by comparison. But it still produces a good sound.

trevor
Aug-23-2014, 3:30pm
Agreed, the mandolins have remarkably small bodies, I always marvel at how they produce so much sound.

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-23-2014, 3:31pm
Flatiron OM's/Zouks produce a much bigger sound than the TC's...