PDA

View Full Version : Alt-country bands with mandolin

mad dawg
Mar-19-2005, 6:22pm
Any recommendations out there for alt-country or roots rock bands that feature mandolin? I'm always looking for artists I haven't discovered to help stoke the fires driving my severe case of CDAS (CD Acquisition Syndrome). Some of my recommendations for such bands with mando include the Emma Gibbs Band, The Gourds, Whiskeytown, Jimmy Ryan / Blood Oranges, Hadacol, and Hangtown. (The mandolin isn't on all of these bands' tunes -- except for Emma Gibbs, Gourds, and Jimmy Ryan -- but it's all great music, IMHO.)

jmkatcher
Mar-19-2005, 6:39pm
My all time favorite alt-country band, Uncle Tupelo, has featured mandolin.

John Rosett
Mar-20-2005, 11:33am
i'd like to humbly suggest checking out my band, "cash for junkers". i play mandolin about 50% of the time, and the fiddle player plays some mando too.
you can hear some of our tunes at the website below.
john

Mteresko
Mar-20-2005, 1:42pm
Check out Big Smith "Gig", their live cd.

luckylarue
Mar-21-2005, 2:45pm
fred eaglesmith has a mando player in his band w/ a real interesting style, imo.

keith_rowan
Mar-22-2005, 2:05pm
check out Big Leg Emma if you are looking for new music.. very nice "Americana" feel/groove..
BLE site (http://www.biglegemma.com) #an upstate ny band, that is starting to tour a bit more..
Leftover Salmon (polyethnic cajun slamgrass)was always fun when touring, I've always enjoyed Drew Emmitt (http://www.drewemmitt.com/mainpage.asp) who is quite actively touring

be well
keith

David M.
Mar-22-2005, 2:47pm
Blood-Oranges had Jimmy Ryan on mandolin, but I don't believe they're a band anymore. Good stuff, especially their Corn River album.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Mar-22-2005, 4:40pm
That's Willie P. Bennett with Fred Eaglesmith. He been with Fred for many, many years. Quite the team, and Fred's band is topnotch. They'll be in Bellows Falls, VT for their annual weekend June 10-12. All acoustic show on the 12th - in a big historic meetinhouse with no electricity.
Willie truly shines playing acoustic, and he does the electric thing pretty good too.
Saw them when they rolled thru this winter and they were outrageous, as usual. Though not a Fredhead, I do think he's a must to check out. His songs reach deeply to the heart. Besides Willie, his two guitarists deliver beautifully crafted, and very differing, accompaniment. Flawless rythym section.

rasa

ira
Mar-22-2005, 8:29pm
jimmy is still teaching and playing in the boston area and beyond.

Mteresko
Mar-23-2005, 12:52am
Another vote for Fred and Willie P. Bennett. Saw them a couple or three years ago at the Freight and they were great. My favorite is "Live at the Paradise Motel", which seems to be unavailable now. Drop me a note if you want to hear it.

Furnman
Mar-23-2005, 9:42pm
I would recommend Cast Iron Filter, for one... very mando-centric, hip, and good.

If you like Whiskeytown (Stranger's Almanac is a ridiculously good album), check out Wilco's early major-label title "A.M.", back when they had a mando/dobro guy. Good stuff, more straightforward than their current (but likewise good) catalog.

ira
Mar-24-2005, 9:35am
cast iron filter is certainly mando centric - the kid is great. i saw them open up for railroad earth and was quite impressed. never thought of them under the alt country heading, but that certainly makes sense.

PCypert
Mar-24-2005, 10:48am
Hey,
Don't know exactly what you would classify, but I love the Be Good Tanyas. Great mandolin on a lot of songs. Plus good female vocals.
Paul

Dave Caulkins
Mar-24-2005, 12:35pm
Cast Iron Filter is one of my favorite cowpunk bands, great songwriting and downright manic playing. Steve Earle has some tunes with great mandolin. I wish Hank III would pick up a full time mando (I guess ban!o is coming first... at least he was looking). BR549 has mando, not full time, but its great Honky Tonk. Frogholler has mandolin quite a bit as well...

I recommend XM radio for those looking for new stuff, XM12 is the Alt. Country station and it ROCKS. There are also classic country and bluegrass stations.

Dave

earthsave
Mar-24-2005, 1:03pm
Bill Mallonee/Vigilantes of Love's CD Audible Sigh has a wicked slide mandolin solo on She Walks on Roses. They also have some other good mando picking on Solar System. Kenny Hutson was the picker on most. That boy can play anything.

Bill Mallonee Website (http://www.billmallonee.net)

JVESEY
Mar-29-2005, 11:22pm
If you like Whiskeytown (Stranger's Almanac is a ridiculously good album), check out Wilco's early major-label title "A.M.", back when they had a mando/dobro guy. #Good stuff, more straightforward than their current (but likewise good) catalog.
"That Guy" was Max Johnson, who is one of the Gourds (previously mentioned) who are rediculously talented and under rated. There's a ton of mando on all of their recordings. I personally think they've hit a high water mark on their last two records, "Cow, Fish or Fowl" and "Blood Of The Ram". They are a modern version of The Band. Good stuff.

mandoaz
Mar-31-2005, 1:50am
Hmmm...Since my separate post about Mando Saenz doesn't seem to be garnering that much response, I think I'll post it here too...

Mad Dawg, I think you'll find your CDAS fires further stoked if you pick up a copy of Mando Saenz's album Watertown. He's a new artist on the scene with a great debut album. His voice is sort of Steve Earle meets Lyle Lovett but he's definitely got his own unique sound. It's all set against a dusty backdrop of acoustic guitar, mandolin, pedal steel, and fiddle...

Seriously, I think anyone who likes the bands mentioned above would really like this guy...Check out his website, mandosaenz.com (http://www.mandosaenz.com), and give a couple tunes a listen...

BTW, I have absolutely no personal connection to Mr. Saenz...I just think this CD is awesome...Am I crazy or does anyone else agree?

Mike

withak
Apr-02-2005, 10:50pm
The Drive-By Truckers' "Pizza Deliverance" album has some nice mando on it on a few of the songs, the first track particularly.

mandroid
Apr-06-2005, 12:22am
McGnarlys Rant, comes by the coast, every once in a while, good fun.