PDA

View Full Version : Wilson WF-5 #018

craigw
Aug-19-2014, 3:52pm
After taking a break from building in 2013 (I already had too many that needed new homes) and spending more time doing repairs and reconstruction, here is my latest WF-5 mandolin that just got strung up this past Saturday. This one is faux tortoise bound with all gold hardware (James tailpiece, Cumberland Acoustics bridge, Gotoh tuners with 20s period correct retrofitted screws) 12" radius fretboard with .080 EVO Gold frets. The top is bearclaw red spruce and the back, sides and neck all eastern red maple. It's finished with a combination oil varnish and Truoil. I'm well pleased with the tone and volume right out of the box. Tone is clear and complex and seems to have good Bluegrass woof. I'm set up to do some commercial videos in a sound studio this weekend on this one and a few others that I'll be taking back to Raleigh to show at the IBMA trade show in a few weeks. I'll try and post some vids here and on youtube before too long.

Steve Sorensen
Aug-19-2014, 6:34pm
Ironically, we live 80 miles from each other, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in Raleigh!

Steve

OldGus
Aug-19-2014, 6:59pm
It looks wonderful. I think this one will age gracefully...

Skip Kelley
Aug-20-2014, 10:21am
Craig, wonderful work as always!

juneman
Aug-20-2014, 12:40pm
Hi Craig, nice work! look forward to seeing you at IBMA again this year and talking shop.

Walter Johnson 'JUNE' mandolins and guitars

craigw
Aug-20-2014, 12:45pm
Thanks for the nice comments, guys. Skip, you gonna be at Raleigh? I was hoping to meet up with you there last year.

Skip Kelley
Aug-21-2014, 5:17pm
Craig, I plan on being there one of the days. I'm looking foward to meeting you!

craigw
Aug-25-2014, 8:13pm
We did a series of video ads yesterday for a few mandolins I have a available. I'm posting a link to a bonus video we did that includes #018. It was not a part of the ads since it was only strung up about a week ago and missed the still shots as well as video interviews. I got a couple of really good friends, Paul Barton and Patrick Sauber to play in the ads and they indulged this old geezer in a little extra fun after the ads were done. Paul is on the left with the A model and Patrick is on the right with #018. Yours truly is in the middle with #009 which is also still available. here is the link: http://vimeo.com/104351839

Skip Kelley
Aug-26-2014, 7:15am
Craig, that some great picking on some great sounding mandolins!

JAK
Aug-26-2014, 6:11pm
Good sounds there!