PDA

View Full Version : Goldtone solid body

Jon Hall
Aug-19-2014, 10:05am
Do any of you own a Goldtone GE-4 or a GE-5, electric solid body mandolin?
Would you recommend one?

lorrainehornig
Aug-19-2014, 11:45am
I have a JBovier ELS solid body electric. It's pretty cool and has a great sound. It has 4 strings instead of 4 sets of 2 strings. As for recommending one, it depends on the sound you want. You can really rock out on these. I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy my acoustic mandolins more. I never tried an acoustic electric.

Tom C
Aug-19-2014, 12:21pm
I have a 4 string but never used it in a live setting. I found most people I know in rock bands bands don't need another guitar to sit in.... being that is what is sounds like. They prefer to have me for the mandolin sound. I do think it's very cool for the $250 range. E string can be weak like all the rest around that price range. Play it through an acoustic amp and sound warm and jazzy, or play in though an electric amp like a Fender blues jr and with right effects it can sound pretty raunchy. I'll have to pick it up again.

Folkmusician.com
Aug-19-2014, 10:55pm
I have setup/sold a couple. It is kind of cool. They need setup work when new but otherwise made well. I also like the KM-300.

darrylicshon
Aug-19-2014, 11:33pm
I have played one i liked it , i have had a epi mandobird they are nice also but i have been making my own latley , and mostly octave mando solidbodies , but i play alot of heavymetal thru my octaves , i really like 5 strings , it lets me play all of my songs i play on guitar on the mando, that low c helps alot