PDA

View Full Version : My worst ever MAS attack yesterday

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 12:36pm
It started when I got to play my teachers F5L a while ago. Right then I put it on my
bucket list. I been cruising Ebay and the classified.

Yesterday it hit me and knocked me senseless. There were 8 Gibson F5s on ebay and 3+ here. I have a little stash of cash but not quite enough, because as usual, I start looking at something sensible for me and quickly escalate.

I'm amazed how MAS can make you so crazy. I was acting like one of Robin William's routines when he was running back and forth talking in many voices ( I miss him).

Well I survived without doing anything stupid, like selling my car.

So help me with some suggestions for a Good used Gibson F5L for my bucket list. I'm for asking help. With the signature confusion I have. Budget 4-6K. I want something used, that will hold it's value for my sons. Not an investment just not a loss

Thanks

Oh yeah, it has to say "The Gibson" on the head.

Denman John
Aug-17-2014, 1:25pm
Isn't that what Visa cards are for? :whistling:

darylcrisp
Aug-17-2014, 1:28pm
what is the difference between the F5G and F5L?

this one though not the L model, could be trusted
http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9925

i personally would keep watch here in the classifieds or have TMS keep you on speed dial in case of a trade in-ebay deals scare me-the box of chocolates(never know what you are getting).

you might check MusicOutlet in Sevierville, Tn. They had a couple higher end Gibsons a few weeks back-all new though.
a couple other places to keep in mind-although the price will be current value i'm sure:

carter vintage(nashville)
Fiddle n Fret(asheville NC)
Mass Street music(great folks)
Trinity Music(small shop but well trusted)
gruhns
cotten music
pick N grin in nashville

good luck
d

William Smith
Aug-17-2014, 1:32pm
Any Gibson F-5 will hold value if not go up. I'd save a bit more and get a MM. Just decide what era ya want. Play a few if possible cause they all are a bit different in ways. I'd go for one of the Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F-5's! I believe ya can't go wrong! And MAS will drive one knuts!

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-17-2014, 1:36pm
I think used Sam Bush F5's are the best bang for the buck you can get right now. They usually go for about $5K - they cost $10K retail... I've never played one I didn't think was great...

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 1:51pm
Isn't that what Visa cards are for? :whistling:

I have a few of those, no balance either. That's what scares me.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:01pm
what is the difference between the F5G and F5L?

this one though not the L model, could be trusted
http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9925

i personally would keep watch here in the classifieds or have TMS keep you on speed dial in case of a trade in-ebay deals scare me-the box of chocolates(never know what you are getting).

you might check MusicOutlet in Sevierville, Tn. They had a couple higher end Gibsons a few weeks back-all new though.
a couple other places to keep in mind-although the price will be current value i'm sure:

carter vintage(nashville)
Fiddle n Fret(asheville NC)
Mass Street music(great folks)
Trinity Music(small shop but well trusted)
gruhns
cotten music
pick N grin in nashville

good luck
d.

Looks like you have been having a little MAS yourself :grin:

The G does not have a back binding, not for my bucket list..

A lot of them on ebay seem to have something between the lines that makes my hair stand up. Like "this is a .... but" .

OK, What is TMS?

Darren Bailey
Aug-17-2014, 2:02pm
Having read a number of these discussions/threads I would suggest a number of alternatives. The first is to take a second job, work through the nights for eight months (minimum) so that you have enough unseen cash that the wife doesn't suspect a second hand instrument coud possibly have cost so much. This option may leave you too tired to play in the day so I wouldn't personally go for this.
The second most popular option seems to be just saving up your pennies and being patient. Do you have this kind of willpower? If not, we'll have to move on to more realistic options.
There are a number of ways you can obtain a decent mandolin but you're going to have to hold your nerve and maybe jetison any sense of moral framework. Do you have a decent set of kidneys and no family history? If so a trip to India might be expedient. What about your kids? Two kidneys always seems unnecessary in the young. You might consider befriending an aging wealthy neighbour who looks a bit peeky and hope they include you in the will. Do you have any pets? You might train them to perform entertainign tricks and take to the road - but be careful, dogs and cats can be notoriousy unfaithful.
Other than that you might practice hard on what you aready have and enjoy the mandolin the universe has given you. Not exciting but your fingers will make it work.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:11pm
Any Gibson F-5 will hold value if not go up. I'd save a bit more and get a MM. Just decide what era ya want. Play a few if possible cause they all are a bit different in ways. I'd go for one of the Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F-5's! I believe ya can't go wrong! And MAS will drive one knuts!

The weird thing about MMs is there are some ferns out there that have MM on the label, but they are not the 16K MMs there is one on the bay now. The 16K MM has Varnish,, flower pot and one piece red spruce tops. The one on ebay now seems to be a fern with the MM on the label.

From all that I read I am wanting one of Derrington-Roberts-Harvey F5L Ferns. I don't see myself ever having the cash for a real MM.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:12pm
I think used Sam Bush F5's are the best bang for the buck you can get right now. They usually go for about $5K - they cost $10K retail... I've never played one I didn't think was great...

I did not realize that thanks.

Charles E.
Aug-17-2014, 2:12pm
Lou, when you say "signature confusion" are you referring to who signed the label? The reason I ask is because, after a look in the classifieds, I see one F5-L signed by Bruce Weber and one signed by Danny Roberts. The Danny Roberts asking price is a little bit more but both are in your stated price range. They both look like nice mandolins, good luck with your MAS and let us know what you decide on in the in the long run.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:17pm
Having read a number of these discussions/threads I would suggest a number of alternatives. The first is to take a second job, work through the nights for eight months (minimum) so that you have enough unseen cash that the wife doesn't suspect a second hand instrument coud possibly have cost so much. This option may leave you too tired to play in the day so I wouldn't personally go for this.
The second most popular option seems to be just saving up your pennies and being patient. Do you have this kind of willpower? If not, we'll have to move on to more realistic options.
There are a number of ways you can obtain a decent mandolin but you're going to have to hold your nerve and maybe jetison any sense of moral framework. Do you have a decent set of kidneys and no family history? If so a trip to India might be expedient. What about your kids? Two kidneys always seems unnecessary in the young. You might consider befriending an aging wealthy neighbour who looks a bit peeky and hope they include you in the will. Do you have any pets? You might train them to perform entertainign tricks and take to the road - but be careful, dogs and cats can be notoriousy unfaithful.
Other than that you might practice hard on what you aready have and enjoy the mandolin the universe has given you. Not exciting but your fingers will make it work.

That's funny.

Good news, no wife and two kidneys, Her lawyer over looked the kidneys:grin:

Bad news I'm retired whatever I spend is gone.

JAK
Aug-17-2014, 2:19pm
There is a 1990 Gibson F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA, around 5K I think. Info and pictures at Gryphon's website.

Charles E.
Aug-17-2014, 2:19pm
Well I am no expert on Gibson F5-L mandolins but this looks pretty sweet......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78686

NFI

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:24pm
Lou, when you say "signature confusion" are you referring to who signed the label? The reason I ask is because, after a look in the classifieds, I see one F5-L signed by Bruce Weber and one signed by Danny Roberts. The Danny Roberts asking price is a little bit more but both are in your stated price range. They both look like nice mandolins, good luck with your MAS and let us know what you decide on in the in the long run.

Yes the impact of the signatures on perceived value. It looks like Charlie, Dave, and Danny are the ones .

Thanks

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:29pm
Well I am no expert on Gibson F5-L mandolins but this looks pretty sweet......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/78686

NFI

Yes it looks sweet but I don't know about the Weber signature. Is it going to sound like a Gibson of a Weber?

JAK
Aug-17-2014, 2:43pm
The F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments is Montana made, signed by Steve Carlson, who was "The Man" at Gibson Mandolins for a number of years. There are threads on the Café regarding Steve and the quality of mandos signed by him, FYI.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 2:56pm
It's in my range. I don't know anything about Steve . I'll check

darylcrisp
Aug-17-2014, 3:03pm

Looks like you have been having a little MAS yourself :grin:

The G does not have a back binding, not for my bucket list..

A lot of them on ebay seem to have something between the lines that makes my hair stand up. Like "this is a .... but" .

OK, What is TMS?

TMS(themandolinstore). Dennis and Brian have a high reputation for providing well setup and fair priced instruments(i'm sure you know that by hanging out here). When i had a specific desire for a used Weber, i talked with Dennis and Brian, and within 3 weeks they found a perfect fit for my needs-with a very fair price. The setup is wonderful and it plays great.

MusicOutlet did have a MM model, not sure of anything about it as it was not what i was looking for-they had a nice set of Gibsons-not sure about the L model.(this store sells only new, and quite honestly does not provide the setup care of an instrument like a couple of the other shops mentioned-pretty much you get it how it left the factory/shop).
Check SmokeyMountainGuitars in Pigeon Forge, Tn(about 12 miles from MusicOutlet). He takes trades and might have some Gibsons.

good luck
d

There was a used Sam Bush at FiddlersGreen(i think on consignment)$5500 range.

darylcrisp
Aug-17-2014, 3:14pm
The F5-L at Gryphon Stringed Instruments is Montana made, signed by Steve Carlson, who was "The Man" at Gibson Mandolins for a number of years. There are threads on the Café regarding Steve and the quality of mandos signed by him, FYI.

and Gryphon has a very good reputation for providing well setup instruments. that means a lot.
d

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 3:35pm
I can't find any info about the workmanship of the Gibson during Steve Carlson's time. I only found a comment about him being there during Gibson's "Renaissance" Are they up to the level of the current guys ?

stevedenver
Aug-17-2014, 3:36pm
lou, while there are greater 'experts' than I around here tenfold,

I have a Roberts 02 F5 fern. the specs changed significantly, for the better as I understand, once derrington was in charge. That being said, typically an F5 (L) (fern) will have the master model label, but it isn't The Master Model costing 3x as much. MM have red spruce tops as well, and this is imho, a better top wood, but, Sitka , as used on ferns, is still very nice.

I agree about the Sam Bush version being great values. These and, frankly a fairly priced fern (that is an F5L with fern and triburst finish, should be in your range. The Harveys are reputed to be the best, but, they are also significantly higher in price, due to scarcity and the sellers ability to command a higher price. I cannot comment on value. often, small improvements in sound and or details cost dearly.

I think you should get a good feel for market values, be careful about fret wear (a pricey repair) and overall condition.

There is something I think you should know. All will say play first, if you can. I live in Denver, and had a hell of a time finding upper end mandos, no less at a competitive price. Sometimes you need to take your best guess, and if you can, rely on a reputable dealers guidance. Another thing, and you cannot help this, is that dialing in a discerning mandolin ear takes time.

I have a discerning guitar ear, and it wasn't the same because I had not as much time and experience on mandolins. You may have to pay your nickel and take your chances. A Gibson, I agree, is money in the bank regarding resale. So are Collings, but, they have a different sound, and its not a one is better IMHO. Collings, however, are really really consistent FWIW.

I would buy from a reputable dealer with a no issues return policy, ie you pay shipping both ways if you are unhappy. To me, that aint ebay. There are exceptions im sure.

F5L (ferns-ie the headstock inlay pattern as opposed to the flowerpot with torch) comes with a square TKL case stock, typically a burgundy colored lining with matching velour and sateen shroud (the blanket that lays over the mando).

fwiw, I bought my fern, sight unseen, from an NYC dealer. It kept me very happy for 5 years, when I decided it was time for more.
I bit the bullet, due to a stupidly low price. I was glad it did.

I buy based on the model/year/ and most importantly condition. I agree Roberts Harvey Derrington will do you well. I buy used.

When, exactly was the Derrington era and the spec revisions you ask? I believe 1998, and certainly specs changed by 1999 as I recall. Derrington closely copied the Lloyd Loar specs, including neck joint, top grading, braces etc.

Varnish is nice but takes a bit more care and is more delicate, and unforgiving. I have 2 with varnish, and while they are great, I love the resistance of nitro (laquer). A very few ferns had red spruce and varnish. they are the rarity.

I suggest that you make yourself happy sooner rather than later. when I got my fern, it was a huge inspiration. I took lessons. I stringly recommend this.

I played briefly in a folk rock band, then started a BG band, and play jazz/swing with friends too. It will make your life better by being able to play with others, and, it wont take that long to get there with daily practice and LESSONS. You will have joy and pride in your gibby.

the mando road is calling out to you Lou!

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 3:42pm
Thanks Steve.

I believe you are correct. I'm 64, so I only have about 30-40 years left to learn the mandolin. I need to get busy.

Astro
Aug-17-2014, 4:03pm
Steve nailed it on all counts.

I just got a great mando. A Harvey F5G. And although I liked it fine right off the bat, it took me several days before I got a hint of what I really had. At 2 weeks now I'm still amazed. It takes some time. Anyway, I dont think you can go wrong with the one for sale used at The MAndolin Store. I would have bought it if mine didn't come up on the classifieds. Just ask them to be honest regarding how good it is. I would think being on consignment it might could go for close to 4k. Its about the same as mine but is bound on back whereas mine is not bound on the back. Otherwise I think the specs are the same. If its got tone like mine, and you are looking for that type Gibson tone, then I think its worth it.

UsuallyPickin
Aug-17-2014, 4:56pm
Well Lou ....... I play a Carlson signed F5L ..... the fit finish and tone are excellent..... I wore the frets off of it .... The reason you don't see many of them for sale is that the folk that own them are keeping them. Flatiron mandolins from the Carlson period are excellent also and hold their value, though they have a different tone than the Gibson models. Read a discussion of X versus tone bar bracing. Gibson has made a large number of excellent mandolins over the years. You need to play as many of them as you can get your hands on. Go to stores and festivals and workshops and play any that you can get passed to you. They are all slightly different but by in large hold their value well in the used category..... Luck.... R/

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 4:57pm
Hey guys does changing the tuners to waverlys and doing a speed neck hurt resale on an F5 Fern?

RichM
Aug-17-2014, 5:26pm
Changing tuners rarely affects value, if you retain the original tuners. In most cases, tuners can be swapped out with zero modification to the instrument, so original tuners can always be restored later. And really, I don't think changing in quality tuners like Waverlys is likely to have much impact on the value of a contemporary Fern.

Speed necks are another matter. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, but the reality is that your changing the instrument in a way that is not easy to put back the way it was. It sounds like you are planning to own this mandolin the rest of your life, so have the speed neck if you want it. If you're looking at a Fern that has a speed neck, and wondering if it should be a different price than one without, I would say no.

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 5:41pm
Changing tuners rarely affects value, if you retain the original tuners. In most cases, tuners can be swapped out with zero modification to the instrument, so original tuners can always be restored later. And really, I don't think changing in quality tuners like Waverlys is likely to have much impact on the value of a contemporary Fern.

Speed necks are another matter. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, but the reality is that your changing the instrument in a way that is not easy to put back the way it was. It sounds like you are planning to own this mandolin the rest of your life, so have the speed neck if you want it. If you're looking at a Fern that has a speed neck, and wondering if it should be a different price than one without, I would say no.

Thanks Rich

Yes found one at a dealer already done.

darylcrisp
Aug-17-2014, 9:53pm
Lou
another thing I might suggest is posting here on the forum asking for anyone living near a shop to go play the instrument and report back to you-if you find one of interest. I've done that a couple times on steel string guitars and I've had excellent results(twice I've had known players to volunteer and they even recorded and sent soundclips).

and I highly agree with Steves post on page one regarding all the excellent points he brought out to think on.

I don't see it advertised on the website, but TMS does a custom store build with Gibson(you get on a wait list, they sell before they come in), I'm not sure what all is on the build, thinking its in the mid $5500 range or so, it appears to be a very nice Gibson and a couple folks here on the forum have this model and love it-might be worth checking into).
d

Lou Giordano
Aug-17-2014, 10:23pm
I found one here in the classifieds. I am having the seller overnight it. I should have it this Tuesday.

But which one :grin: You'll have to wait and see :whistling:

Thanks everyone. You guys have been a huge help.

stevedenver
Aug-18-2014, 8:04am
how exciting-how decisive!

congrats

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 8:16am
how exciting-how decisive!

congrats

Thanks Steve. Easy to be decisive when you have good info.

Mike Scott
Aug-18-2014, 9:19am
Wow! That was some case of MAS. Glad you came through it OK. Congrats on the Gibson.

William Smith
Aug-18-2014, 9:37am
Sweet. Post pix when ya get. You'll be happy camper/picker.

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 11:17am
Sweet. Post pix when ya get. You'll be happy camper/picker.

You can bet I will !

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 11:22am
Wow! That was some case of MAS. Glad you came through it OK. Congrats on the Gibson.

I think what made it so intense for me was the fact that it is my "Bucket List" Item It had to be right. It's way out of my league, skill wise and budget wise. In a way I'm making up for never getting a Harley.

Pasha Alden
Aug-18-2014, 11:40am
No suggestions from me, just a bucket of empathy.

DataNick
Aug-18-2014, 11:46am
I can't find any info about the workmanship of the Gibson during Steve Carlson's time. I only found a comment about him being there during Gibson's "Renaissance" Are they up to the level of the current guys ?

Congrats Lou on your Gibson MAS attack...LOL!

As a couple have noted, Steve Carlson was for a time in charge of mandolin production at Gibson when they were being made in Bozeman, MT. Bruce Weber eventually became the head luthier.

The differences between those era Gibsons and the Derrington era Gibsons forward are the detailed return to Loar specs.
Major differences are:

1. Neck joint: Bozemans are Tenon-Mortisse, Derrington/Harvey are Compound Dovetail
2. Carving graduations in the Derrington/Harvey are supposed to be as close to Loar graduations as you can get.

There are other changes that Charlie D. said in an interview were made by the end of 2001.

All of that being said, the Bozeman Gibsons can be excellent mandolins. I believe that mine is; not only by my ear, and the ears and playing experiences of my friends who have tried it, but by individuals such as Tom Mullen formerly of The Bluegrass Cardinals and Doug Dillard's band who promptly said this past weekend at Summergrass: "this mando is a hoss! It's one of the best I've ever played."

Also Nathan Livers of Michael Cleavland & FlameKeeper and Michael Cleavland himself both said it's a "great" mandolin.
Mine's been thru the ringer cosmetically, but it is a beast. That's MC in the pic who while playing it kept sayin "this is a real good mandolin, yup it's a goodin"

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 11:59am
Congrats Lou on your Gibson MAS attack...LOL!

As a couple have noted, Steve Carlson was for a time in charge of mandolin production at Gibson when they were being made in Bozeman, MT. Bruce Weber eventually became the head luthier.

The differences between those era Gibsons and the Derrington era Gibsons forward are the detailed return to Loar specs.
Major differences are:

1. Neck joint: Bozemans are Tenon-Mortisse, Derrington/Harvey are Compound Dovetail
2. Carving graduations in the Derrington/Harvey are supposed to be as close to Loar graduations as you can get.

There are other changes that Charlie D. said in an interview were made by the end of 2001.

All of that being said, the Bozeman Gibsons can be excellent mandolins. I believe that mine is; not only by my ear, and the ears and playing experiences of my friends who have tried it, but by individuals such as Tom Mullen formerly of The Bluegrass Cardinals and Doug Dillard's band who promptly said this past weekend at Summergrass: "this mando is a hoss! It's one of the best I've ever played."

Also Nathan Livers of Michael Cleavland & FlameKeeper and Michael Cleavland himself both said it's a "great" mandolin.
Mine's been thru the ringer cosmetically, but it is a beast. That's MC in the pic who while playing it kept sayin "this is a real good mandolin, yup it's a goodin"

Cool club to join.

Which one are you?

Oh, I'll let a little slip of info out before I get it . it's A Roberts . I just received the tracking number, delivery is tomorrow morning.

I'll do the pictures tomorrow ASAP.

Astro
Aug-18-2014, 12:10pm
I bet I know. :)

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 12:36pm
I bet I know. :)

I'll bet you don't :whistling:

Start a pool to see who gets it right, :popcorn:

DataNick
Aug-18-2014, 1:04pm
Cool club to join.

Which one are you?

Oh, I'll let a little slip of info out before I get it . it's A Harvey . I just received the tracking number, delivery is tomorrow morning.

I'll do the pictures tomorrow ASAP.

I'm the Brotha from a different mother on the right...LOL! And I look like trash after 3 days of pickin' and almost no sleep!

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 1:26pm
I'm the Brotha from a different mother on the right...LOL! And I look like trash after 3 days of pickin' and almost no sleep!

Cool , I would say happily trashed :mandosmiley:

stevedenver
Aug-18-2014, 4:31pm
well now that youre part of the Roberts club
and I presume new (ish) to mando??

heres a really good thing to read through regarding set up and adjustment

this is Rob Meldrums work on general mando set up, and can be a great help if youre new baby isn't to your liking or wasn't set up before shipping

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47496881/Mandolin%20Set%20Up/How_to_Set_Up_a_Mandolin.pdf

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 4:51pm

this is Rob Meldrums work on general mando set up, and can be a great help if youre new baby isn't to your liking or wasn't set up before shipping

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47496881/Mandolin%20Set%20Up/How_to_Set_Up_a_Mandolin.pdf

Yes it's about 10 years old.

Thanks fro the link

Charles E.
Aug-18-2014, 5:22pm
Congratulations on your new (used) Gibson Lou.

I thought it would be the Roberts one being sold by the Dr. from Tennessee, but I see that one is still listed.
Oh well, have fun!

Lou Giordano
Aug-18-2014, 5:42pm
Congratulations on your new (used) Gibson Lou.

I thought it would be the Roberts one being sold by the Dr. from Tennessee, but I see that one is still listed.
Oh well, have fun!

Almost.

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 10:48am
OK it's hear, 9:10 AM eastern FedEx came knocking at my door.

To end the suspense,I purchased the 2004 F5L Fern (Danny Roberts). I found it in our classifieds by accident. The title read 2004 Gibson Fern F5L so the search did not pick it up. It is a Fern but says MM on the label.

This is my very first used that was described as 9.9% mint or mint that actually was. Seller is a great guy and gave me a super Senior Citizen AARP discount.

It arrived in a Carlson case to boot. Amazing. I tuned it and its very playable , intonation and all. No fret wear at all.

Thanks to all for your great help.

Pictures coming right up. As soon as I get it to work:disbelief:

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 10:57am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/008.jpg

dulcillini
Aug-19-2014, 10:59am
Lou: I know where you are ! Be patient. There is some great advice from the posts above, so I won't repeat. If you are going the "pre-owned route" then I agree that a reputable dealer is essential. Many good ones out there are mentioned in the previous posts. I happened to go to Elderly once just to see what they have. Took a nice Collings F5 off the wall and it has been in my arms ever since. Didn't plan to buy it, but it just happened. My advice: Save your cash and try to build up some more and keep it at the ready. You will probably find the perfect mandolin completely unexpectedly when you aren't even looking. Deals come up. Sometimes folks need to sell great instruments quickly to generate cash. It happens. Just be ready. Have a general idea of what you want and give yourself a little wiggle room.

stevedenver
Aug-19-2014, 10:59am
Yes it's about 10 years old.

Thanks fro the link

Does this mean you have seen the material before?
fwiw, I think its still very helpful and relevant, 10 years old or otherwise.

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 11:01am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/026.jpg

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 11:03am
Does this mean you have seen the material before?
fwiw, I think its still very helpful and relevant, 10 years old or otherwise.

Yes I have but I still appreciate your help

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 11:09am

Now I get it . I was saying the Mandolin is ten years old . Sorry for the confusion. No sarcasm intended at all.

DataNick
Aug-19-2014, 11:33am
Looks like a keeper Lou!

stevedenver
Aug-19-2014, 12:27pm
nice mando

niiiice case!

so how does it play and sound?
has it met your hopes?

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 1:20pm
nice mando

niiiice case!

so how does it play and sound?
has it met your hopes?

I it plays great. Sound well, only as good as me, but I have a few years left in me to work on that. I hope :whistling:

I am hoping to get together with some good players to see what it can do. No, I'm not sending it anywhere :grin:

Denman John
Aug-19-2014, 3:34pm
Play it in good health and may you have many years together ahead of you. Now that you have your bucket list mando, hopefully the only purchases ahead of you are strings and new frets after you wear them down :)

Lou Giordano
Aug-19-2014, 3:46pm
Play it in good health and may you have many years together ahead of you. Now that you have your bucket list mando, hopefully the only purchases ahead of you are strings and new frets after you wear them down :)

Thanks for the kind thoughts John.

Kowboy
Aug-20-2014, 11:34am
Help a fellow out here please. Just exactly what is a MAS Attack? I have tried to figure this out on my own. IDK. Have the same problem at traffic lights, trying to figure out the license plates on cars. The light usually changes before I can figure some out. Thnx in advance; Kenny

pheffernan
Aug-20-2014, 11:43am
Mandolin
Acquisition
Syndrome

Lou Giordano
Aug-20-2014, 12:14pm
Here it is scooped and set up. With MD11s . What a bear, those tiny frets with DEEP slots. You can see in the second shot how much I had to remove to get past the slots :disbelief:

Thanks to all for your help and kind words.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/IMG_0259.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/sweet_lou/Gibson%20Fernn/IMG_0256.jpg

Jim Nollman
Aug-20-2014, 12:30pm
If I was in the market for a mandolin at the baseline price you have mentioned here, I would never buy without playing it first. I mean really, its would cost a very doable percentage to spend an entire day in Nashville, NYC, or the two or three other cities where stores carry dozens of high-end mandolins. And its not just Gibsons you get to try out, even if you are predisposed to that sound. After playing a few dozen of them, and keeping an open mind about it, you may actually find that you like a Mowry, a Smart, an Altman, a high-end Kentucky, etc, etc, so forth, even better.

Or if that airline percentage throws you off, I still don't recommend buying mail order, unless it also comes with a 48 hour trial.Too many things can go wrong.

Lou Giordano
Aug-20-2014, 1:24pm
If I was in the market for a mandolin at the baseline price you have mentioned here, I would never buy without playing it first. I mean really, its would cost a very doable percentage to spend an entire day in Nashville, NYC, or the two or three other cities where stores carry dozens of high-end mandolins. And its not just Gibsons you get to try out, even if you are predisposed to that sound. After playing a few dozen of them, and keeping an open mind about it, you may actually find that you like a Mowry, a Smart, an Altman, a high-end Kentucky, etc, etc, so forth, even better.

Or if that airline percentage throws you off, I still don't recommend buying mail order, unless it also comes with a 48 hour trial.Too many things can go wrong.

Very sound advice and I appreciated your trying to help.

There are a few points I would like to bring up.

I knew exactly what I wanted and I new exactly what I was willing to pay for it.

I know It was a roll of the dice but I came up a winner.

Lastly, I appreciate the fact that the venders help MC. I feel it is also good to support each other but buying in our classifieds. I feel it is one of the many benefits we get by being part of Mandolin Cafe

stevedenver
Aug-20-2014, 4:40pm
lou, you did a fine job on that scoop, perhaps the best ive ever seen, just looks elegant and appropriate,
and,
you have 22 frets-all the way up to D!!! (I hate 21 frets to C# personally)

stevedenver
Aug-20-2014, 4:58pm

you know, I aqree about playing first,
and that there is a great big wonderful world beyond Gibson and Collings
and to purchase only with a no questions return

but ....

I often cant-time, travel, tickets, hotel, meals, time away from office, etc.

I have found, other than one archtop and one les paul, and one brand new martin authentic with a factory defect, all some fifteen years apart, among a couple dozen long distance purchases,

I have had great luck in talking with the store/seller and asking questions. And reading here on the forum.

Its a lot cheaper to spend $200 round trip to return a mistake pruchase, imho. a quick trip to Nashville or LA would run, conservatively, $1500 all said and done, (and not in a nice or central hotel either) NYC thrice that,
-more fun, but ....well a lot more hassle.

Another factor, is, there are some online sellers offering prices that brick and mortar, other than guitar center, simply will not match.

For example I saved about 4500 off list price on one guitar new, and about $1600 in reality off the going street price. The guitar is so consistent, that frankly, if I got a mid level one instead of a smoker, im ok with it. I guess I assume, on any given day, at any given shop or etc., there are only so many in the herd, good bad or ugly.

The reality, is, that some instruments are pretty consistent in build, but more so, often one is not going to have a huge selection, unless one goes to Gruhn, Carter, etc. and then, one can be overwhelmed.

I can only do critical listening so long and then, it gets kinda blurry....you may not have this issue.

Lou Giordano
Aug-20-2014, 5:22pm
lou, you did a fine job on that scoop, perhaps the best ive ever seen, just looks elegant and appropriate,
and,
you have 22 frets-all the way up to D!!! (I hate 21 frets to C# personally)

Thanks Steve.

Funny thing is, I could not remove #22. The hole for the pick guard support shaft is right there in between 21 & 22.

I can't imagine ever getting up there to play. Who knows. Like I said before I'm 64, I might have another 30-40 more years to learn how to play.

One of the members here started to play at 70.:mandosmiley:

DataNick
Aug-20-2014, 5:23pm
Good on you Lou! You knew what you wanted and you took it!

Bravo my man!

Folkmusician.com
Aug-20-2014, 6:48pm
Nice Scoop.... Do I see a new sideline in your future? :)

Lou Giordano
Aug-20-2014, 7:30pm
Nice Scoop.... Do I see a new sideline in your future? :)

That would be interesting.

John Duncan
Aug-20-2014, 8:17pm
A good good friend of mine has a Roberts' Fern.

I love that mandolin, and I am very supportive (jealous) of your purchase.

He scooped the extension, too.

pheffernan
Sep-16-2014, 4:56pm
Looks like a keeper Lou!

Or not: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/79499

DataNick
Sep-16-2014, 5:08pm
Or not: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/79499

Well, we all do what we have to do...in the same week(last month), I got laid off, had an accumulated storage bill of $1k, and an auto repair necessary to keep me rollin in SoCal of $1500; so needless to say I get it!

I'm sure Lou would keep it if financially he could...

Lou Giordano
Sep-16-2014, 5:33pm
[QUOTE=pheffernan;1325089]Or not: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/79499[/QUOT

Wow, like I don't feel bad enough!!!. Cheap shot.

Timbofood
Sep-16-2014, 5:50pm
So sorry to hear this Lou, you were so tickled to find it at your price! Hope things look up for you.
My wife just broke her leg and may be losing her job on top of that! Life gets tedious, don't it?

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-16-2014, 6:04pm
Oh yeah, it has to say "The Gibson" on the head.

... no, it doesn´t. I´d advocate this: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001443.shtml

I can´t recomend this thread enough. You might be astonished at the value that you´ll receive for well under 1.000 USD. It might even come close to what you´d expect from a newish Gibson Fern. I would put up my old Strad-O-Lin against many newish mandolins if only for the beautiful vintage tone it oozes. It is plenty loud too. I do have a high powered mandolin. But that is a different league.

The spectrum is broad. Just an F-5 body does not make a beautiful toned mandolin. The scroll is not everything (got one and it´s nice).

Just for the record. It gets really bad when you go to TAMCO (http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/mandolin-luithers.html). It´s a mando-geeks nightmare/candystore.

What you´ll have to do is focus. What do really want. (me, I could do with a D-log Gil post 2000, maybe a Dudenbostel of sorts, oh yes... send me that Ellis that I played at TAMCO last year, or the Brentrup...).

Enjoy.

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-16-2014, 6:11pm
... didn´t read "the rest of the story"...

@ the OP: Don´t feel too bad. Enjoy what you have and visit TAMCO, Elderly, Gruhns, Carter Vintage, Grandpa Banana, Players Vintage Instruments etc. and form an opinion about what you like and really need (I could do with my Strad-O-Lin yeat I am very happy with my expensive mandolin). Good luck to wherever the hunt leads you.

Lou Giordano
Sep-16-2014, 7:06pm
So sorry to hear this Lou, you were so tickled to find it at your price! Hope things look up for you.
My wife just broke her leg and may be losing her job on top of that! Life gets tedious, don't it?

Thanks Timothy. There is an old expression, "this too shall pass" Sounds like you need to remember that too.

Timbofood
Sep-17-2014, 7:36am
Lou, I feel like that has been spanked on my forehead! I've been looking for a job for ten years now! I sure hope it passes, like soon. And not like a kidney stone!;)

Sven the Impaler
Sep-17-2014, 8:30am
I've played great, good, and not so good F5L's....they aren't as consistent as you'd think, unlike Collings, et al.

I recommend playing several before pulling the trigger (or at minimum have the right of return if it doesn't have what your looking for). It's a buyers market on these...they sell slow.

Take your time and enjoy the quest....the hunt should be as satisfying as the kill.

Lou Giordano
Sep-18-2014, 10:42am
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!

I just sold my Pricetone to a great guy. So it looks like I can keep my Gibson Fern.

OOh, It is one of the GREAT ones, not good, Great!!!!!!!!:mandosmiley:

DataNick
Sep-18-2014, 11:16am
That's really good news Lou!

Especially when it seems that the Gibby Fern is your heart's desire!

Best to ya Bro, and wear that thing out!

Lou Giordano
Sep-18-2014, 5:34pm
That's really good news Lou!

Especially when it seems that the Gibby Fern is your heart's desire!

Best to ya Bro, and wear that thing out!

Thanks Nick

Timbofood
Sep-18-2014, 6:40pm
That's great news Lou! You earned that mandolin!

Lou Giordano
Sep-18-2014, 7:00pm
That's great news Lou! You earned that mandolin!

Thanks Timothy but I can't take all the credit. It I think the Lord just wanted to hear me play it at church.

DataNick
Sep-19-2014, 1:27am
Thanks Timothy but I can't take all the credit. It I think the Lord just wanted to hear me play it at church.

There ya go!...Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might...

FLATROCK HILL
Sep-19-2014, 8:46am
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!

I just sold my Pricetone to a great guy. So it looks like I can keep my Gibson Fern.

That is great news and I'm happy for you at this turn of events. It does raise a question or two in my mind however.

If I had pulled the trigger (something I honestly considered) on your Fern, would I have been helping you out by buying it, or should I have felt guilty about taking it away from you?

Kennyz55
Sep-19-2014, 8:59am
That's a great thing about this Mandolin community the feeling of brotherhood. Lou spent quite a bit of time with me while we made the deal on his Pricetown.hhe educated be about Blue Chip picks let me use his. He spent a few minutes helping me work on my tremolo. But lastly he made a win-win for us and made me feel better about my spirituality.

Timbofood
Sep-19-2014, 9:05am
Tremolo, sorry.

Timbofood
Sep-19-2014, 9:10am
This is probably one of the reasons I keep on enjoying this site, the simple feeling of " We are on this bus together and it's better to get along and help than be cranky" Kenny, very nice of you to help another member out, we will reap what we sow.
Rhymes with tremolo, ho, ho, ho!

DataNick
Sep-19-2014, 1:18pm
That's a great thing about this Mandolin community the feeling of brotherhood. Lou spent quite a bit of time with me while we made the deal on his Pricetown.hhe educated be about Blue Chip picks let me use his. He spent a few minutes helping me work on my tremolo. But lastly he made a win-win for us and made me feel better about my spirituality.

Wow what a great outcome and testimony on Lou's behalf...Fantastic!

Lou Giordano
Sep-19-2014, 8:32pm
That is great news and I'm happy for you at this turn of events. It does raise a question or two in my mind however.

If I had pulled the trigger (something I honestly considered) on your Fern, would I have been helping you out by buying it, or should I have felt guilty about taking it away from you?

Wow That's a tough one but Of course it would have helped.

Reminds me of a very old joke. " definition of mixed emotions. Seeing you mother in law drive off a cliff in your new Caddy "

bah dump bump :whistling: