PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Good Backup

mbruno
Aug-16-2014, 3:29pm
Hi all,

So I recently bought a Gibson F9 but I've had to bring it to the shop for some basic repairs (not thrilled with that but what are you gonna do). I noticed that the frest on my current beater mandolin (Morgan Monroe MMS-4F) are really worn and need dressing / replacement. Considering the cost of fixing up my beater mandolin, I've started to think about getting new mandolin and selling the Morgan.

I have this debate going in my head now about looking for another higher quality mandolin similar to the Gibson (but not a Gibson) or looking for another lower quality like the Morgan. I'm leaning towards something in the middle around the $1k - $2k marker max. Thankfully it's been a good year for me and, for the right mandolin, I can move higher than that range if needed - but I like the F9 right now as my main (provided the issues with the frets are resolved).

Anyway, I'm curious to know what people have as their back-up / festival bringing / beat up don't really care too much mandolin. Any inexpensive brand sounding good? I don't like Eastman btw.

samlyman
Aug-16-2014, 3:40pm
My back-up is a Kentucky KM 950. It has radiiused frets that are wide so it plays very similar to my Collings. I got it used for about 80% of retail from a Cafe member and am very please with the quality.

Sam

Jim
Aug-16-2014, 10:07pm
If I had 1k to 2k I'd run right back up to Arvada and buy the A50 I played at The Olde Town Pickin' Parlor. Of course it would become my Good Mandolin not my Backup. However, at $1350 it was real nice.

bart mcneil
Aug-17-2014, 11:22am
Your budget, it seems to me will get you a really nice sounding mando. Consider the Big Muddy at around $1000 new.... A wonderful sounding instrument if you will accept an A style, Lots of comments on these on this site. American made if that is important to you.

stevedenver
Aug-17-2014, 11:44am
I bought a Rigel A plus deluxe specifically for a back up and 'not so safe area to play or go back to the car at 1 am' mandolin, and grab and go Get up John tuning.

It is pretty decent for BG chops, cant say it barks, but it meows with great authority. It is perhaps the most versatile one I own tonally. Fairly loud, decent projection but not a banjo killer by any means. Does swing , jazz, gypsy, BG, irish, rock and blues including slide all very well.

They are particularly great amplified or micd. Action-wise they play better than many high end mandos, imho. They can be plugged in and best of all, are very stable once tuned. Intonation is superb as is upper fret access and action.

I think they are great mandos, but because they are not traditional in design, to some extent, they are overlooked.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Aug-18-2014, 2:53pm
Think about an A model for your backup. You can get more mandolin for your money and they look different-you get some variety. A Gibson A-9 is in your price range for sure at prob $1000-$1200, Used Collings MT is at the upper end, Ratliffe RA5 on the cafe now for $1200, lots of other makers come up on the cafe at the upper end for good quality as well. You could probably get a lower end used Northfield f5 at the upper end of your price range as well and some of those are really good mandolins.

Eric C.
Aug-18-2014, 2:58pm
KM950 new or used. Can't beat the price.

Sterling
Aug-18-2014, 3:02pm
I'm very happy with my Eastman 615. It will be my back up when my Jacobsen mandolin is finished. I also really like the Eastman 315.

J Mangio
Aug-18-2014, 3:18pm
My go to mando is an '02 F9, second in line is a my '12 KM-1000; they both have a 1 1/16" wide neck at the nut, and
the same neck profile... works for me.