PDA

View Full Version : shutt style mandolin

musichouse
Aug-16-2014, 12:37pm
I'm new to this forum. Here are some pictures of an unknown brand Shutt style mandolin I picked up recently. It is in very condition. It is well built and very sturdy. No cracks. Sounds sweet. I have seen a few examples of mandolins like this but nothing with the details of this one.

Cheers John

F-2 Dave
Aug-16-2014, 1:05pm
The checkerboard binding and pearloid headstock are really cool. Nice looking wood all over. Neat mando.

Bruce Clausen
Aug-16-2014, 1:42pm
Sounds sweet.

I'm curious what people mean when they say this. Always sounds a little negative to me, like maybe they mean not much volume, not much punch or edge or top end or projection. (All of which I think of as essential in a mandolin.) Can you describe the sound of yours another way? Better yet, maybe post a clip of you playing it.

In any case, great find! Nice looking unusual instrument and seems well made.

And welcome to the forum!

Bill Snyder
Aug-16-2014, 2:10pm
Bruce, I think your idea of "sweet" must come from the description of a sweet, little, old lady.
When I think of sweet being used to describe an instrument, a car engine, new jobe, etc.. I think of it meaning great, or wonderful or desirable.

Bruce Clausen
Aug-16-2014, 3:26pm
I think you've hit it, Bill. Thanks!

musichouse
Aug-16-2014, 3:54pm
Thanks for your points friends. Bill has explained exactly what I meant. I wasn't trying to describe the instruments tonal complexities.
The instrument does have a lot of volume. Lots of bass and bright upper register. It seems well balanced to me. I am quite delighted
with it. I won this in an a local auction for $50 up here in British Columbia. cheers -John

JeffD
Aug-16-2014, 9:38pm
I had custody of a Harmony Shutt mandolin for a while. Great bright sound. Very very light instrument. Loved it.

bart mcneil
Aug-29-2014, 6:45am
Oh boy! You did quite well! There are plenty of us looking for just such a mando but they are not common and one it that condition can bring a pretty decent price. If at some point you want to sell it you will find interested folks on this site.

red7flag
Aug-29-2014, 10:12am
Nice instrument. Has a very solid look. Maybe was hand made. Would the back and side woods be rosewood? (Excuse my woods ignorance?

Bill Snyder
Aug-29-2014, 9:48pm
Back and sides look more like walnut to me, but it is hard to tell from a photo.

morgan
Aug-30-2014, 6:25am
Fretted Instrument Workshop in Amherst MA has a "La Melodia by Shutt" mandolin listed that is a similar design to yours, altho the dimensions look a little different and there are numerous more subtle differences. They describe it as " circa 1930. The first modern F-hole mandolin design, pat. 1910. Sounds great. w/original hardcase. $995" There's a photo of it on their facebook page; you need to scroll down a ways. Congrats on the find (and the price!)

delsbrother
Aug-30-2014, 12:48pm
Yeah, that's a real Shutt. The one being discussed in this thread really doesn't have anything to do with Shutt at all. It's like "the Loar" doesn't really have much to do with THE Loar.

musichouse
Sep-01-2014, 3:37pm
I think the back wood is walnut not shire yet. I may sell this at some point. Not sure what kind of value to put on it.