PDA

View Full Version : Other than Chris Thile's Loar(s) ...

MK in NC
Aug-14-2014, 11:23pm
... does anyone know what he's playing during his shows with Nickel Creek?

During tonight's gig in Cary, N.C., Thile played most tunes on a Loar, but he also played an A-style with f-holes and an A-style, oval-hole mandola.

Whatever he plays, he's pretty amazing. And his Nickel Creek pals are great, too.

Troy H
Aug-14-2014, 11:32pm
I want to know which mandolin he was referring to when asked how he planned to spend his genius grant.

CES
Aug-15-2014, 12:40am
I wasn't there :( so can't comment first hand, but the mandola referenced is probably his Flatiron Bouzouki, which I first remember seeing on "Smoothie Song" back in the day...

And, yes, he pretty much rips whatever he picks up. That said, there's a YouTube vid of him with Sometymes Why playing Ukele on a song called "Too Repressed," which is very "adult content," hence no direct link. I don't play Uke, but followed some links to Uke boards where he caught flack for "playing it like a mandolin." Guess the criticism just never stops, lol...

pheffernan
Aug-15-2014, 5:24am
I believe that in addition to one of his Loars he plays a Smart mandola and a Flatiron bouzouki; I say one of his Loars because he bought a second (#75318) just two away from his first one (#75316) with his MacArthur Genius Grant.

Larry S Sherman
Aug-15-2014, 6:37am
...there's a YouTube vid of him with Sometymes Why playing Ukele on a song called "Too Repressed"

Brief hijack: I saw Sometymes Why a few times and they were incredible shows. I saw them open for the PBros, and although there was some band mixing they didn't do "Too Repressed" together. All three ladies are amazing talents.

Larry

/end hijack

Dotneck
Aug-15-2014, 7:07am
I have to agree...great show in Cary last night. The mandola was used on the Smoothie Song....

Marc Ferry
Aug-15-2014, 7:25am
Thile often plays a Flatiron zouk which has a pretty cool tone. Did he play that at the show?

Ed Goist
Aug-15-2014, 7:26am
... does anyone know what he's playing during his shows with Nickel Creek?

During tonight's gig in Cary, N.C., Thile played most tunes on a Loar, but he also played an A-style with f-holes and an A-style, oval-hole mandola.

Whatever he plays, he's pretty amazing. And his Nickel Creek pals are great, too.

Hi MK; I saw Nickel Creek with opening act The Secret Sisters (http://www.secretsistersband.com/) last month in Cleveland. Great show!

Chris Thile played his 1924 Loar-signed Gibson F5 on all but two songs. He played his Lawrence Smart A-style Mandola on one song, and his Flatiron bouzouki on a spirited version of Smoothie Song.

MK in NC
Aug-15-2014, 7:57am
Using YouTube as a reference point, it was indeed a Flatiron bouzouki (not a mandola as I earlier suggested) on "Smoothie Song" last night.

Ed, did Chris Thile make the same apology in Cleveland about that great song's unfortunate name? (He said something last night about having titled that song when he was much younger.)

Better yet, did he, Sara, and/or Sean say, "Hello, Cleveland!"

Ed Goist
Aug-15-2014, 8:32am
Yes on all counts.
Sean Watkins (especially) was a hoot!

Capt. E
Aug-15-2014, 9:21am
Does he still play the Dudenbostel F?

Tom Smart
Aug-15-2014, 12:10pm
I've posted this before, but here's a photo his Lawrence Smart mandola, taken about nine years ago when it was new.

jefflester
Aug-18-2014, 4:42pm
Does he still play the Dudenbostel F?
No, sadly.

Caleb
Aug-18-2014, 5:38pm
There is some video out there in YouTube land where I've seen Thile jamming with Edgar Meyer on a Collings A-style.

2 cents worth:
I don't know which one it is, but the Dudenbostel with the busted headstock and the word "HOLE" engraved on the truss rod cover, has the best tone I've ever heard from Thile. He played that one in the Bach documentary. Just magical tone to my ears. I have no idea why he stopped playing those and favors the Gibsons. I get the mojo/tradition thing with a Loar, and that he can afford one, and that it's certainly his choice, but the Dudenbostels were really something special to me.

Timothy S
Aug-26-2014, 6:11pm
If I remember correctly, the Dude you're referencing is #5. To my knowledge he still has it, just doesn't use it for live shows any longer. I agree that that particular instrument has something special. Listening to that rendition of the Prelude from Partita No. 3 is what inspired me to begin learning Bach on the mandolin. Curious, especially since I avoided Bach like the plague when I studying piano (I wanted to be a concert pianist). If only I could have that mandolin...

jefflester
Aug-26-2014, 6:55pm
There is some video out there in YouTube land where I've seen Thile jamming with Edgar Meyer on a Collings A-style.
Believed to belong to Edgar.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?45171-Thile-Playing-a-Collings-A-Style-Mando&highlight=edgar+meyer+thile+collings

Zissou Intern
Aug-30-2014, 7:48am
I believe Edgar's son played a Collings A about 10 years back, when he took lessons in the shop where I worked. If it was on loan from Edgar, it may have been that mandolin.