PDA

View Full Version : Fret board extender

John Bertotti
Mar-18-2005, 9:02am
I am thinking of using a couple pieces of cf to strengthen the fret board over the body and eliminating much of the fret board extender. Anyone care to point out why I shouldn't? Seems like a good idea at the moment. Kind of make a thinner profile above the body. Thanks John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

sunburst
Mar-18-2005, 10:37am
No, I can't think of why you shouldn't.
Do you want the carbon to go through the neck and continue into the extender?
If so, you'll probably have to put it in after the neck is installed.

There is not really much need for stiffness in the extender, when you think about it. It's just a little short piece of board, and it's usually ebony, and "nobody plays up there anyway".

John Bertotti
Mar-18-2005, 11:24am
Thanks John, I still intend on having a small extender for aesthetics but want to trim it up a bunch. Kind of stream line it. Some of them just look too bulky for may. I would like it to still be functional. I may do just as you suggest and add the cf after the neck and all is on. That way I know how much room I have. Thanks John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

sunburst
Mar-18-2005, 12:11pm
Don't send me that one for a neck re-set! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

John Bertotti
Mar-18-2005, 12:26pm
You're killing me here John! ROTFLM
I am actually looking at a way it would be integrated into the neck so when it is pulled it would not be attached to the top. I post a pic when it is done. Still experimenting. Thanks John

I just realized I need to build something. Stop experimenting and build something. All I've done for two years is experiment then toss the scrap. Time to finish the few I've begun. WKAE UP CALL. Thanks John

Dale Ludewig
Mar-18-2005, 6:46pm
John- the neck reset thought. Mine too. Maybe I'm goofy, by I think the extender does a lot to reinforce the neck/body joint at that point, up tight to the cross piece and glued to the top........

Dale

Paul Hostetter
Mar-18-2005, 7:48pm
I agree the extender helps reinforce the neck angle, but consider the violin family: no extender in front of the "overstand," no dovetail, just a simple mortise and the "button" to anchor the neck to the back to keep its angle. A violin has less pull on that joint than does a mandolin, certainly, but a cello has proportionately a great deal more. And people really do play out there!

sunburst
Mar-18-2005, 7:54pm
Dale and Paul, I agree that the neck joint is reinforced by the extender. I just don't think the stiffness of the material of the extender changes that very much.
Even if you play notes on the extender regularly, how hard do you press the strings down on the frets, and how stiff does it need to be to resist that pressure? Could CF be overkill?
I've started using red spruce for extenders. It has about the highest ratio of stiffness to weight, and it expands and contracts the same as the top it is glued to, so the glue joint has minimal sheer stress.
It seems to work fine, and shaves a couple of grams off of my mandos compared to ebony, rosewood, or maple.