PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Record

Fretbear
Mar-18-2005, 6:22am
Bill Monroe has been said to be the only person ever inducted into four halls of fame:
Bluegrass
Songwriter's
Country Music
Rock & Roll
Does anybody know if it is true that no one else has ever been in four halls of fame (even other ones) I am writing some liner notes and want to be sure of the facts...

twaaang
Mar-18-2005, 10:07am
Wish I was free to help you dig on this. The first ones to come to mind that I'd want to rule out are Elvis and Bob Dylan, for sheer output and spanning of musical categories. Ray Charles? Less-visible perennials like Ry Cooder? Maybe some other "authority" has already done the legwork for you, such as the Guinness Book of World Records. Good luck with this, and I appreciate your scruples on the point (compare with Aaron Burr's definition of the law: "Whatever can be boldly asserted and plausibly maintained", which appears to suffice for much of journalism as well).

And I assume the scope of this is strictly musical, so you don't have to worry about how many sports halls-of-fame honor Jim Thorpe? -- Paul

GBG
Mar-18-2005, 10:22am
Rock and Roll?

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Mar-18-2005, 10:30am
I remember reading that in "Can't you hear me calling".

Except, isn't it the Bluegrass Hall of Honor?

Rock & Roll-there are some documented conversations of Elvis and the Bill Haley talking about their some of their biggest influences....B.M. was in there. Blue Moon of Kentucky was one of Elvis earliest hits.

Jim Gallaher
Mar-18-2005, 10:44am
Yep, he's in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. It freaked my teenage daughter out when I pointed out his suit and hat in the display case, as well as a brief explanation of his influence on Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.

I recall a reference to the effect that Carl Perkins' first words to Elvis were along the lines of "I hear you're a fan of Bill Monroe..."

evanreilly
Mar-18-2005, 10:49am
Yes, William Smith Monroe is in all four places of musical reverence.
There is a great live studio recording of the 'Million Dollar Quartet', which includes Elvis, doing a whole series of Monroe songs.

Moose
Mar-18-2005, 11:08am
Yep!! - Hey Evan there's a story - as told to me by Charlie Louvin - that after the "break-up", Ira came back to visit the Ernest Tubb Midnite Jamboree ; he didn't bring his mandolin; Mr. Monroe "loaned" his(THE)!) F5 to him to work the Jamboree that nite!!. The Mutual Admiration Society...,eh!? - http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Fretbear
Mar-19-2005, 1:55am
I've done some more research and while he is not a member of THE songwriter's Hall of Fame (Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, etc.) he is of The Nashville Songwriters Foundation Hall of Fame. Even without that, he is the only person ever inducted into all of the other three.