PDA

View Full Version : Skype camera? (AKA: Resistance was futile)

belbein
Aug-07-2014, 8:09pm
Looks like I'm going to succumb to the zeitgeist and try lessons by Skype. Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of camera/microphone I need for my computer? It would be great if you had experience taking lessons this way. By the way, I'm running Windows 7 on ... I don't know, some big grey box and high speed internet. I think.

John Gardinsky
Aug-07-2014, 9:05pm
I just use a Logitech webcam I bought at Walmart. Nothing too fancy and it does a fine job. I use the built in mic. I tried an external mic and was having reverb issues. I think you'll find most of the limitations are caused by Skype and not your camera set up. I can recommend Snag It to capture the video for later review. Well worth the money.

John Flynn
Aug-08-2014, 5:57am
I have a Logitech C920 that has been very satisfactory from a video perspective. A lesson learned: The microphones on video cameras (I have tried a few) are not made for musical performance. I find that with a mandolin they sound horrible. I use a Zoom H2 portable recorder that has a USB microphone mode. It sounds much better. I'm sure there are other alternatives. You do have to get into your operating system's "audio devices" settings and make sure it is using whatever external mike you get.

Cue Zephyr
Aug-08-2014, 8:15am
I would get a tablet - just grab the Skype app and you're done. Might be a little too much solely for this purpose, but there's a lot more that it can do beyond that. Just a thought. ;)

bratsche
Aug-08-2014, 10:31am
I think you'll find most of the limitations are caused by Skype and not your camera set up.

Bandwidth limitations can come into play, too. Skype is definitely a 'different' experience. With the audio, I've almost always experienced some latency problems and dropouts. Both I and my family members with whom I Skype regularly use identical decent quality Logitech webcams. They say that I come through in great visual detail, but from my end, for whatever reason, they are more and more pixelated looking from when we started a few years ago.

You also have to get used to speaking one at a time, or nobody can hear anything. Sometimes the mics will not pick up the beginning of sentences, so we have to get used to starting out talking with nonsense syllables or "Testing 123", so everything we want to say of importance can be heard. My brother has tried using an external conference mic on their end, but it barely makes a difference. I have tried to use my Zoom H2, but could not get Skype configured properly to recognize and work with it on my computer. :(

Personally, based on my limited experience (I use it weekly for several years, but always communicating with the same people) I cannot imagine using Skype for lessons, although I know that many people are able to. Part of it may be the fault of my lousy skills at tweaking settings for optimum performance, but not all of it, I'm sure. I tried playing an instrument over this setup, but the people on the other end could only hear a bunch of clipped and distorted noise.

YMMV, but good luck!

bratsche

Loretta Callahan
Aug-08-2014, 1:50pm
I bought the Logitech C615. It's inexpensive, very good quality video and audio for the price and works on both Mac and PC (I'm bi-coastal) … and, of course, with Skype. Huge improvement over the ancient HP webcam I bought many moons ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YW7WCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

belbein
Aug-08-2014, 5:55pm
Bratsche, I share your concern. I'm going into this with a skeptical attitude.

BluegrassWarehouse
Aug-08-2014, 9:54pm
I took Skype lessons with David McLaughlin. I used a Logitech full HD webcam (sorry, the model isn't listed on it and I don't remember what it is) and used a Samson usb mic. I used SuperTinTin to record them. They turned out great!

Lance

bigskygirl
Aug-09-2014, 11:52pm
I just use my ipad or Mac laptop for Skype lessons. There is a delay but you get used to it after a few times, just try not to talk at the same time. If you use the ipad the person you are Skyping with will not actually be looking at you if they are watching the screen and not looking into the ipad camera directly. Again, it's just something I got used to and doesn't bother me or take away from the lesson.