PDA

View Full Version : Russian Firebird Guitar-no mando content

Walt Kuhlman
Aug-03-2014, 11:37am
We have been doing sound hole and relief carvings on instrument tops recently, and the Russian Firebird is a recent addition. Sitka top, Walnut neck and body.

billhay4
Aug-04-2014, 12:04pm
Nice. Where did you get that crazy walnut?
I'd also be interested in your comments on the design of this guitar.
Bill

Walt Kuhlman
Aug-05-2014, 9:39am
I found the walnut at a lumber company owned and operated by a Mennonite family outside of Hagerstown MD. They had, what they called, 'colonial grade', and I sifted through about a thousand board feet before coming across this piece. It was an inch thick by nine ft. long, and ten inches wide. The board had two section approx. thirty inches long, and vertical grain, enough to yield several backs.

The design pays homage to the viol of the 1600's with it's body shape, tailpiece and bridge.

The firebird comes from Russian folklore.

Marty Jacobson
Aug-05-2014, 9:41am
Wow! I love the gamba body shape, too. Lovely, Walt.

billhay4
Aug-05-2014, 10:50am
Thanks, Walt,
Nice find on the walnut.
Cool design work there. I'd like to hear a sound clip of this.
Bill

Jake Wildwood
Aug-06-2014, 8:30pm
Wow, really cool.

Walt, by the way -- the fella that had your last instrument through the shop -- he's in love with it up there in Burlington. Keep em coming!

Tavy
Aug-07-2014, 2:49am
Wow, that's sweet, love that carving, and the walnut too!

PaulBills
Aug-07-2014, 7:34am
That's a bit gorgeous, that :grin:

mandroid
Aug-07-2014, 9:50am
Had me thinking .. Жар-птица», Zhar-ptitsa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firebird .. the Ballet ,

.. not the GM car..

LongBlackVeil
Aug-07-2014, 9:52am
that would be a cool shape for a mandolin

Paul Busman
Aug-07-2014, 6:31pm
As a big fan of Stravinsky's The Firebird, I find that marvellous. Really beautiful workmanship in every little detail.
Have you ever found that soundboard carving like that makes the soundboard prone to cracking?
You could sell those carvings all by themselves!

Russ Donahue
Aug-07-2014, 6:47pm
Amazing and beautiful. Glad you posted. And as was said earlier, that would make a cool Mandolin or OM design...