PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Tuners

Scotti Adams
Feb-29-2004, 11:04am
..any comments? comparisons?

J. Mark Lane
Feb-29-2004, 6:53pm
Maybe everyone is wondering the same thing I am. What the heck are Golden Gate tuners?

John Flynn
Feb-29-2004, 7:03pm
J. Mark:

Golden Gate, the the people who make the picks by the same name, also make replacement tuners. I have no experience with them, but I have seen listings for them.

Scotti Adams
Feb-29-2004, 7:25pm
..yea..Saga carries them....they are more costly than the Grovers and Schallers and they have the removable buttons..they are a good lookin tuner..http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=FM-20

sunburst
Feb-29-2004, 7:31pm
Just looked at the pic. They look a lot like Gotoh. Wonder if that's who makes them?

J. Mark Lane
Feb-29-2004, 7:45pm
I see. Yeah, they sure look like Gotohs, don't they? I can't imagine Golden Gate is tooled up to make their own tuners. There's also a strange variation in cost among the different model numbers.

Scotti Adams
Feb-29-2004, 8:00pm
..yea but they dont say what the ratio is...

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-01-2004, 2:26pm
They're Gotoh's...they used to offer a silver plated version. These were the first reasonable reverse cut/worm under tuner that didn't turn backward.

You can do some light machine work on the string posts and grind an "arrow end" on the plates..replace a few "phillips" screws here and there with straight/flat ones and make a very respectable Loar knock-off tuner for far less than a Waverly

Scotti Adams
Mar-01-2004, 3:19pm
..thanks alot for the info....since they are Gotohs I think I will be getting them from Stew Mac..alot cheaper....I thought they may be Gotohs..they sure looked the same...

Big Joe
Mar-01-2004, 3:59pm
Hey Scotti! Our new Grovers will be ready in a couple of weeks. 18:1 ratio. I love the ones on my mandolin.

Scotti Adams
Mar-01-2004, 6:25pm
Joe..describe the buttons to me..do they look like the regular Grover buttons?..same size and shape?..whats the cost going to be on these?

sunburst
Mar-01-2004, 7:29pm
Could we get a pic of the new Grovers? I' m hoping they'll help my "tuner frustration".

Scotti Adams
Mar-01-2004, 7:39pm
.. I seen them on Big Joes mando at SPBGMA last month but I cant remember exactly what they look like....I hope they have smaller buttons than the standard Grover button which I find just a little big....does any body make Ivoried buttons for Gotohs?

sunburst
Mar-01-2004, 8:01pm
yeah...those big buttons have kept me away from Grovers so far. Good question about the ivoroid Gotoh buttons. I've put Stew Mac pearl buttons on them by filing the shafts, so you could do the same with ivoroid.

Scotti Adams
Mar-02-2004, 11:11pm
..Ive confirmed that Golden Gates are Gotohs..one in the same