PDA

View Full Version : My Gilchrist if Fixed!

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:47am
Hello:

Back in January I posted about the unfortunate dropping of My Gilchrist at a local bar gig. After sobbing on the floor for about ten minutes http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I taped the mandolin back together and played the gig.

I recently got the mandolin back from Kevin Kopp in Bozeman. He did a wonderful job with the French polish touch up. The structural work was done within a week by my good friend John Joyner. He did a great job but I knew that Kevin was the man with the French polish experience.

I'll first post the shots on the morning after, for those of you who did not see it the fist time. Then I'll post the shots I just took of the finished repair.

**WARNING** If you have a week stomach for this sort of thing you may want to quickly scroll down to the after shots!

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:48am
Next one.....

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:48am
Here is the F-Hole.....

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:49am
Ok, now the fixed shots....

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:50am
And the other side....

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:51am
Here is a shot from the top of the Peghead. From this angle you can still see the damage.

Chadly
Mar-17-2005, 10:52am
Last one....

--Chad Fadely

Doug Edwards
Mar-17-2005, 11:02am
Was the rim and top cracked all the way open from the crash? Looks like a pretty good repair job. Can't hardly tell on the top. Except for the binding the rim crack blends right in.

mandoman4807
Mar-17-2005, 11:08am
Nothing wrong with a Distressed Gilchrist http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell

John Rosett
Mar-17-2005, 11:10am
nice chad! now that puppy has some "character" marks on it.
but i thought that you were going to have a humbucking pickup installed in the top while you were at it....
john

mandopete
Mar-17-2005, 12:16pm
...and a whammy bar!

Glad to see the Gil has been restored. You should just think of it as a character-building event.

amowry
Mar-17-2005, 12:25pm
Looks great Chad. #By the way, your CD is tremendous!