PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix NeoBluegrass *New Model For 2004*

Feb-29-2004, 10:53am
This is a new Phoenix model for 2004. This one is sold & was a custom for me in that it has the wineburst, Feather pickup & 1 3/16 width at the nut. Lists for $50 less than an F9 & can you say "Flame".......look at the woods used in this mando!...Notice the tuners, finish & custom Phoenix case (on the website)

Phoenix Neobluegrass (http://www.phoenixmandolins.com/neobluegrass.htm)

Feb-29-2004, 10:55am
The back.

Feb-29-2004, 11:00am
closer....

Feb-29-2004, 11:02am
I won't have another until summer (another custom for me!), however some other Phoenix Dealers will have the NeoBluegrass sooner.

Feb-29-2004, 11:12am
BTW, this is not a Gibson slam. Just showing an option at the same pricepoint. Since it's a new model for Phoenix in 2004, many folks are unaware of it. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

250sc
Feb-29-2004, 3:05pm
Dale,

Compitition in the same price range is nothing but good news for consumers. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think of the sound? (Compared to other Phoenix models and other manufacturers)

Thanks.

Feb-29-2004, 4:41pm
I've had two & they were both outstanding. They are voiced just like the regular Bluegrass model.

How do you like the Phoenix "no frills" model?

JimW
Mar-02-2004, 12:20pm
The NeoBluegrass looks like a nice mandolin. I love Rolphe's work, and had a Phoenix Deluxe for almost a year. Very light, responsive, tone, tone, tone, and more tone. While you compare it to the F9, I think this is like comparing apples to oranges.

1. The Phoenix isn't an F style mandolin; your better comparison is to maybe a Rigel R100, some of the Breedloves, etc.

2. List of Phoenix is $3200.00 and I believe you can discount only 10% so making a street price of $2880.00(correct me if I'm wrong Dale and give us the street price), Gibson F9 list at $3250.00 and street price of $2372.00 at FQMS. If my figures are correct, that's $508.00 difference.

3. As good as Rolphe is, I think availability is going to be an issue.

I am just pointing some differences out here, and don't take this as a negative post regarding Phoenix mandolins, as I think they are great and if this is the style you're looking for, I don't' think you'd be disappointed in your purchase.

Jim Watts

Mar-02-2004, 12:35pm
Jim, if the F9 is "all about tone" rather than frills, & if the Phoenix has tone tone tone....Then why is it not a fair comparison. Availability is an issue on the Phoenix. When you consider the woods,finish, radiused fretboard & custom case...$508 more really sounds like money well spent. IMHO

BTW...it's Rolfe

Ted Eschliman
Mar-02-2004, 3:08pm
I'm trying to kind of lay low here since I've got a financial "interest" in a item in the classifieds (I certainly wouldn't want to let the exploitation of the discussion board get to maverick proportions...), but let me just insert, my F9 really does have a nice flame to it.
And that's even before being held over Dale's Bic butane lighter...

Don Grieser
Mar-02-2004, 3:20pm
Dots, Dale, you forgot the dots in the fretboard! And not just pearl dots, but some knockout abalone or snail dots! With those the F-9 would have to retail for $3600 at least. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jessboo
Mar-02-2004, 4:25pm
Hey Dale how does Phoenix compare in sound to the Unicorns that Rolfe built in the 70's?

Thomas
Mar-02-2004, 7:39pm
Two Phoenix Bluegrass models I owned are the best mandolins I've ever had. Don't ask why I no longer have them, please. I've had an F-9 and a Collins A and the Phoenix kills them, IMHO. I would pony up $500 over an F-9 (sorry Ted) if the tone was there, and I believe Dale if he says it is. And Rolfe is among the best to deal with. You go, boys, er uh, men.

evanreilly
Mar-03-2004, 1:11am
There is a fellow here in Asheville who has an older Unicorn. He has played my Phoenix & I have played the Unicorn. I have also played Rolfe's personal Unicorn. My opinion is that his newer mandolins sound better. that is an overly easy answer... There are similarities in tone, as well as details of construction.
Before I got my first Pheonix, I wrote to Rolfe asking if he knew of any Unicorns avaialble; he told me to get one of his newer mandolins because they were far ahead of his older Unicorns. I did & he is correct.

Ted Eschliman
Mar-03-2004, 11:24am
Gentleman, I really have no opinion (or hands-on experience) with the Phoenix models, and trust Dale's Texas ears that this is the real deal. I'm sure it's good stuff.
However, in making the case for a $500 +/- discrepancy in (perceived) value, remember we're talking apples and oranges (or in this case, an orange with horns).
And I just have one word for you...

Scroll.
I happen to like my $500 strap button.

Bowzette
Mar-03-2004, 11:53am
I have a 2000 Phoenix Bluegrass i bought from Dale over a
year ago. I think it is the one Thomas use to own. It is excellent in tone, volume and workmanship. I played one of Dale's new Phoenix and while it had more bass, I liked the tone of the midrange and highs better on mine. Last week i got
a F-9 and to my ears the tone and volume is just as good
as the Phoenix-just different. The fully bound, varnish finish
makes the Phoenix a lot more expensive, as it should. The F-9
very much has that "Gibson" sound at a very reasonble price
for a F model. The Gibson is a bit louder(hard to beleive)and
has deeper bass, deeper, louder chop. The Phoenix has clearer,
cleaner mid range and highs and will "cut" through a jam
like a laser.