PDA

View Full Version : Rozawod mando-lin/cello,/octave

Mandomonte
Jul-25-2014, 4:40pm
There was an ad in Acoustic Guitar on this maker in Czech. Does anyone know anything about them. Also rate of exchange is confusing to me. They have a nice web presence and some nice guitars also.

Eddie Sheehy
Jul-25-2014, 5:12pm
I've got a Rozawood OM-5, guitar-bodied arch-top, F-holes, Octave Mandolin that can also be adjusted to a Mandocello. On the website they are priced in Euros. I had mine in the Classifieds recently but pulled it when I needed it for a gig. I'll probably relist it. P.M. me for more info and pics.
David Grisman or Mike Marshall has one as well - it was on loan to the Mandolin Symposium Orchestra.

djweiss
Jul-25-2014, 5:19pm
Eddie, what's the scale length of that?

Eddie Sheehy
Jul-25-2014, 5:38pm
It's a ~25" scale... The Rozawood website is:

http://www.rozawood.cz/mandolins/om5/

The luthier is Roman Zajicek.

His price for an OM-5 or MC-5 is 4590.00 EUR = 6,167 USD

Gerry Cassidy
Jul-25-2014, 5:44pm
I've owned a couple of Roman's instruments. The pic here is of my current ROM2. It's an Octave Mandolin and is 21.5" scale. It's, hands down, the nicest OM I've ever owned. It even has a virzi! :-)

Roman is a master builder. He's fairly well known in Europe, mostly for guitars. I've met him a handful of times. He is very enthusiastic about his craft and loves to talk Larson Brothers and the other builders from that era.

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-01-2014, 2:48pm
I've got a Rozawood OM-5, guitar-bodied arch-top, F-holes, Octave Mandolin that can also be adjusted to a Mandocello. On the website they are priced in Euros. I had mine in the Classifieds recently but pulled it when I needed it for a gig. I'll probably relist it. P.M. me for more info and pics.
David Grisman or Mike Marshall has one as well - it was on loan to the Mandolin Symposium Orchestra.

I saw it listed again. That is an AMAZING price you are asking for it. I SOOO want to pull the trigger! Alas, the MAS Piggy Bank is currently empty and I will have to be happy with what I have.

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-05-2014, 5:13pm
Yes, it's back up...

Dobe
Aug-05-2014, 7:28pm
She's a beaut' Eddie. Amazing how many fine, lesser known luthiers out there. Headstock pics ?

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-06-2014, 1:50am
Headstock...

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-06-2014, 4:54pm
It is the same as my OM. Pretty standard snake style with a very cool inlay/logo;

billhay4
Aug-06-2014, 5:34pm
Cool headstocks.
Bill

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-06-2014, 6:07pm
Yes, they are cool. Another cool thing is the little surprise hidden inside my OM; :cool:

Eddie Sheehy
Aug-06-2014, 10:47pm
Mine doesn't have a Virzi... which is good since I don't feel comfortable with the concept...

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-06-2014, 11:11pm
I could really care less about the concept. I never did fall for that tit-for-tat. All I know is the instrument sounds great. So, it's a no-brainer for me.

High Lonesome Valley
Aug-07-2014, 2:11pm
Mine doesn't have a Virzi... which is good since I don't feel comfortable with the concept...

It's the "C" holes that do the trick.

A great instrument with a few tweaks is still going to sound great, I'll betcha.