PDA

View Full Version : Thinking up a new mando  :-)

ebert5150
Feb-29-2004, 10:10am
I presently have a y2k (that i bought from a person on this site and have been VERY happy with) and am thinking about beginning my search for a new mando. In beginning my search I naturally came back to the place where my addiction....uh...hobby started. Im going to be looking for a celtic style mando, between $1,500 and $2,000. I really like my Weber and so a radiused fretboard is not really a must for me. Im looking forward to all your comments.

John Flynn
Feb-29-2004, 10:58am
I would be in the market for exactly the same thing in the same range if I had the spare funds right now. My choice would be to have Bill Bussman of Old Wave build me an A style oval, which I think would come in under $2,000, even with some additional options and a case.

Other possibilites, since you like Webers, are to go with a Weber Bridger. I have also thought about finding a good used Gibson A.

K_D
Feb-29-2004, 7:58pm
Sounds like a Weber Bridger would meet your requirements. Its definitely got the celtic look and sound. If you can find a used one you might end up below budget as well. Mine with a radiused fretboard was somewhere between $1500-1600 new a couple of years ago.

Ajvessey
Mar-01-2004, 4:33am
I think that Peter Coombe's mandos come in a bit above 2k, but it depends entirely on the exchange rate of the Australian dollar. He builds some gorgeous oval holes that look like they would make great Celtic instruments. I have no experience though, so maybe someone who has one can shed more light on if they think it would be a fitting mando.

ebert5150
Mar-01-2004, 6:13pm
thanks for all the input!