PDA

View Full Version : "Celtic Woman"

Mar-16-2005, 5:44pm
I was watching PBS and they had one of there raisin money things and they had a program called "Celtic woman". Did anyone see it? It was five singers that sang with a background celtic orchestra. They had fiddles[violin] and other instrument like tin whistles and whatnot. I did not see a mandolin but there sure could of been one there. Well this was a pretty good program. I wouldnt mine owning it but you donate 75 bucks just to get the dvd. Kind of a rip off becuase i dont watch that station much to support them with that load of money.

Well anyway, did anyone catch this? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

steve V. johnson
Mar-16-2005, 8:54pm
Mike,

Not to steal from your local PBS outlet, but I think I found the CD and the DVD online somewhere after I saw it last week.

It's not exactly trad, but written and arranged by one of the original arrangers for the Riverdance shows. It is a great show, and these combinations of Irish trad and ... well... "show biz" are both well done and very popular. Perhaps hard-core traditionalists among us may scoff at it (I was tempted to...), but it was a fun show, overall and certainly well-produced, arranged and shot.

The big moment for me was the bit with the gorgeous blonde fiddler (sorry, I never remember her name, but check outt her credentials and resume!!!!) and the two bodhran players! <GGG> It was wonderful to hear so much of it sung in Irish, too.

Thanks for mentioning it! A fun show!

steveV

steve V. johnson
Mar-16-2005, 8:55pm
P.S.

IMO, PBS is WELL worth supporting versus the corporate giants out there feeding us stupid sitcoms and fear-mongering cop shows.

stv

PaulD
Mar-17-2005, 12:44pm
I agree that PBS is worth supporting, as is public radio (plug for KRCL, Salt Lake City, Utah; Bluegrass Express and Fret & Fiddle Sundays at 2:00 and 5:00 PM respectively, 90.9 FM or www.krcl.org). I can understand having a hard time justifying the $75 if one is tight on money, although I always figure if I bring my lunch to work instead of buying fast food, I'm saving about that much money that can go to a better cause.

I don't know if this is the same show, but if you're tight for $$$ and want this video you might check out http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/724354460494BT?source=froogle. The flip side is that I saw sites that wanted a $90 donation for the DVD, so your local station's pledge request is reasonable.

pd

PaulD
Mar-17-2005, 12:56pm
Kind of a rip off...

Mike, after re-reading the original post, this line kinda jumped out at me. I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it came across, but public radio and public television are certainly not ripping anybody off when they have their telethons (or beg-a-thons, as I affectionately call them). You could probably say the opposite; most people are willing to "rip off" (figuratively speaking) these stations by watching/listening without contributing. When they make these offerings, they are on the air to raise money for a non-profit organization, not to sell product.

When I think of all the great music I've seen on PBS stations: Klezmer by Itzak Perlman & Andy Statman, Austin City Limits (mando content: Newgrass Revival w/Sam Bush), and so on, I'm glad to do what little I can to keep them on the air! In fact, the only Celtic radio shows in our area are the locally produced Fret & Fiddle on KRCL (mentioned previously) and syndicated Thistle & Shamrock on KUER; both non-commercial radio.

Paul Doubek

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mar-17-2005, 5:37pm
You know me, sometimes my comments can be a little harsh. I love the station its just i can spend that much for the benefit of a dvd or cd.

By the way that blonde fiddler was a nice one wasnt she.
Happy St pat Day

PaulD
Mar-18-2005, 12:09pm
I figured it probably wasn't meant the way it came across, but I wanted to stand up for PBS/public radio just in case! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I didn't see the show... I'll have to look for it... but when you mention blonde fiddlers I immediately think of Natalie MacMaster. Talk about a Fiddle Goddess! Not only is she beautiful, but she is one of the best all around talents/performers I've seen.

pd

Mike Buesseler
Mar-18-2005, 2:14pm
I just saw two CD versions of "Celtic Woman" at our local (poorly stocked) music store.
Not sure it's the same stuff you guys are talking about, but sounded good in the store. You might take a look....

steve V. johnson
Mar-19-2005, 2:54am
While the special was on our local PBS (Indiana University) station I did some searching and the DVD and CD are certainly available for less than $75.

So we have our options all in place: A) We can support the PBS thing that way and get the Celtic Wmn material; 2) We can buy the talent and forget the PBS; C) we can support PBS any way we choose, or not, and forget the Celtic Women.

So there.

<GGG>

Enjoy any options you choose,

stv

Mar-19-2005, 10:22am
They have the cd availible on www.cdnow.com for $13.99. Great price. I recommend cdnow because you can listen to free samples of most the cds on most of the songs. That is usually how i come across what i want to buy. But i never order anything there. I usually stay away from big sales places like that.

But i was looking for Don Stienberg and they had the cd's but no samples.

Mar-19-2005, 10:25am
Here it is for those wondering what it looked like.

# # # http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007GAEGC.01._PE26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tim
Mar-23-2005, 11:53am
Anyone in Northern Virginia who would like to see this group live will have a chance on August 1 at Wolftrap.

Clyde Clevenger
Mar-23-2005, 1:24pm
I used to support Oregon Public Broadcasting until, I after a long (2year) dry spell with no bluegrass, I called to ask why no Bluegrass. I was told that they considered bluegrass to be niche music, that really didn't appeal to their "demographic". So I blacked out my two front teeth, hiked up my overalls and turned over to KBOO.