PDA

View Full Version : Wrist issues in the picking hand

Jay
Mar-16-2005, 3:22pm
Hi All-
I have read various threads regarding wrist problems in the fretting hand just as carpal tunnel and general numbness/pain. Has anyone had any issues with their picking hand?
I started having pain in it about two weeks ago. I saw a Dr. and I am now wearing a wrist brace while I sleep. It doesn't seem to be helping. I work at a computer and switched the mouse from my right hand (picking hand) to my left in hopes that it may help. It mostly a non-constant, shooting pain when I move it in different positions. And, it doesn't seem to hurt while I am playing nessecarily but I can feel it after a playing for a exteneded period of time.
The idea of being unable to play due to carpal tunnel is quite a scary prospect.

mrbook
Mar-16-2005, 3:38pm
A couple weeks ago, I got a sharp, intense pain in my forearm in the middle of a show. This happened while playing guitar, a bit into the 2nd set after a 1 1/4 hr. first set. I had no problems playing banjo, mandolin and dobro in the first set (at least concerning my arm), but with the pain I had to cut the song short, change the set set, and go back to playing banjo the rest of the show.

I've had trouble with carpal tunnel syndrome and take B-6 (800 mg/day) for it now and then. I went back to taking it, laid off playing a couple days, and it seems better. I haven't played as much guitar since then, and not as hard or fast as that day.

It does seem better, though, and I am just nervous about trying. B-6 does seem to work well for carpal tunnel, though, and I've used it on and off for about 3 years. It certainly seemed worth a try before thinking of surgery.

John Flynn
Mar-16-2005, 8:42pm
I don't get CT in my picking hand, although I do in my fretting hand. What I do get in my picking hand is muscle "burn" and intense fatigue when I am playing really fast for long periods of time. Some things I have had to learn and remember to do:
1. The stretching exercises on musicianshealth.com. These always help. They have been a godsend for my fretting hand, but they work for the picking hand also.
2. Ligthening up. One thing about the picking hand, when you are playing fast, physics takes care of the volume. No need to "get down on it" like when you're playing slow.
3. I try to use my elbow joint more and my wrist less. It seems to "spread the strain out."

mheisler
Jul-29-2011, 9:15am
Hi Jay,

I hope you still keep in touch here. I seem to have something similar and I am just wondering what's happened to your wrist since you first posted.

Big Joe
Jul-29-2011, 10:13am
Man, this is an old thread! I would suggest having someone check your picking technique. Often pain is caused by poor technique. This may be from the pick you use to the way you hold it to the way you hold your wrist or forearm as you play. There are many things that go into play with these issues, but it may be good to have someone who knows what they are doing to check your technique as you play. Just a suggestion.