PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Ideas in the $1,000 range

lflngpicker
Jul-14-2014, 4:48pm
I have listed a couple of instruments on Ebay and am preparing to seek my next mandolin. I am going to be looking in the $1,000 range. I have seen Eastman 515's, Loar 700's and Kentucky KM-805. I am wondering about these and other options, used or new, that will give me a high quality F model. I am very pleased with my J Bovier A5 Special but want to add a different sound, look and feel. This is strictly a luxury so don't laugh at me-- the MAS made my USA Fender guitar and amplifier, along with my Kentucky F style expendable. Thanks for your valued input.

Capt. E
Jul-14-2014, 4:59pm
Actually, I keep hearing great things about the new J Bovier F Tradition.

Denny Gies
Jul-14-2014, 5:07pm
A used 'teens Gibson A model is a nice instrument.

lflngpicker
Jul-14-2014, 5:20pm
Thanks Captain E. I am truly quite impressed with my J Bovier mandolin. It has raised my expectation for tone, volume, sustain and playing comfort. I am also going to be thinking about a Big Muddy and a Breedlove USA made A style (the FF and the Double 00). I am going to put those out there for ideas, as well.

Capt. E
Jul-14-2014, 5:41pm
A used 'teens Gibson A model is a nice instrument.

He says he wants an F, but ... it is true he could easily find a beautiful pre Loar era Gibson A for 1K, original condition, original case. Might even find a snakehead A-Jr too.

pheffernan
Jul-14-2014, 5:43pm
I am wondering about these and other options, used or new, that will give me a high quality F model.

If I had a budget of $1000 and was determined to have an F model, I'd look for a used Kentucky KM1000 or a Breedlove Ff: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Used-Breedlove-2000s-American-Series-FF-Sunburst-Mandolin-110115527-i3772875.gc.

lflngpicker
Jul-14-2014, 7:08pm
pheffernan, I like those suggestions. A Kentucky KM-1000 used would be great if I could get one in my range. Also, that Breedlove looks like a very nice USA made mando. Thanks.

lflngpicker
Jul-15-2014, 3:58pm
I am presently thinking of the Kentucky KM-805, KM-855, KM-1000 (used), Eastman 515, Eastman 615 (used), and for an A, the Breedlove OO (a different sound and use than my A style with ff holes). I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences. THANKS FRIENDS!

pheffernan
Jul-15-2014, 6:01pm
and for an A, the Breedlove OO (a different sound and use than my A style with ff holes).

Well, if A style ovals are in the discussion, I'd be looking for a Gibson A Jr., either one of the snakeheads that have been around lately or perhaps this one to help you channel your inner Mike Compton: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76972.

lflngpicker
Jul-15-2014, 6:19pm
Yes, our family has a Gibson A4 from the teens which I started on 30 years ago. My son took it home for a while, which I encouraged. Hard to beat and fun to play!

Josh Levine
Jul-16-2014, 12:36pm
Dan,

Looking at your current stable, you may find it hard to improve much with the $1000 budget for an F. As Nick said, it may benefit you to hold out until you can throw down a little more cash. If you can't fight away the MAS demons, be sure to try to find a good value on a used instrument. That way, when MAS inevitably strikes again you can move it along at around the same price that you paid for it. That would mean waiting and watching the market before you act, than jumping on a deal when you see it. I would hate for you to have your next MAS bout cut short because you paid too much on this round. I hear that Jbovier is a great mandolin. I would just get as much play out of that thing until you HAVE to have another.

robert.najlis
Jul-16-2014, 12:42pm
There is a Bulldog econo F that just appeared in the classifieds for $1300. I can attest to the fact that Bulldog mandolins are excellent instruments.

Zissou Intern
Jul-16-2014, 3:34pm
I'm with Robert; that is a great price on the Bulldog!

eastman_315
Jul-19-2014, 11:52am
. . . , the Breedlove OO (a different sound and use than my A style with ff holes).If you are looking for a different sound, the Breedlove will get you there. I had an Eastman md-315 before I got my Breedlove KO & they each had their own sonic signature. The md-315 had a very traditional bluegrass sound & the KO has a more modern, complex voice. Not sure how to describe it exactly. Very smooth, mellow sound, not (IMO) harsh or tinny like many of the moderately expensive bluegrass-style (ƒ-style, ƒ-holes) mandos I have played. I traded the md-315 eventually & then picked up an oval-hole Eastman md-514 that I really like. It has a more traditional sound, though, fuller and less harsh to my ears than the md-315, but still very different from the KO. I like having 2 mandos with sweet, but different, voices to choose from!

The OO would be in your budget, too.

Good luck,

Frank

tburcham
Jul-19-2014, 1:18pm
If I had a budget of $1000 and was determined to have an F model, I'd look for a used Kentucky KM1000 or a Breedlove Ff: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Used-Breedlove-2000s-American-Series-FF-Sunburst-Mandolin-110115527-i3772875.gc.
+1

pheffernan
Jul-19-2014, 1:29pm
and for an A, the Breedlove OO

The Guitar Center in Nashville has one of those with a five star rating for $799.99: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Used-Breedlove-AMERICAN-00-Mandolin-110341676-i3837956.gc.

J Mangio
Jul-19-2014, 1:41pm
Dan...I noticed that you pick radiused fretboards, if you are looking for a flat board, then I can attest that
the KM-1000 is a lot of Mando for the money. Check out the Blackface in the classifieds (NFI) looks sweet.

LongBlackVeil
Jul-19-2014, 2:31pm
Dan,

Looking at your current stable, you may find it hard to improve much with the $1000 budget for an F. As Nick said, it may benefit you to hold out until you can throw down a little more cash. If you can't fight away the MAS demons, be sure to try to find a good value on a used instrument. That way, when MAS inevitably strikes again you can move it along at around the same price that you paid for it. That would mean waiting and watching the market before you act, than jumping on a deal when you see it. I would hate for you to have your next MAS bout cut short because you paid too much on this round. I hear that Jbovier is a great mandolin. I would just get as much play out of that thing until you HAVE to have another.

I agree with this, nothing in this price range will be that much better than your bovier. Just slightly different. It's worth it to save up, unless you want an oval hole which would actually add some diversity to your stable.

I know if I had a grand right now if snatch up a snakehead A jr. I'm not one to invest in mandolins or any musical instrument for that matter, but loar era instruments are always a safe bet and I imagine it will go up in value. If it doesn't you still have a sweet mandolin that will be vastly different from your j bovier

lflngpicker
Jul-19-2014, 2:54pm
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the good advice. I am not interested in curtailing the MAS I am experiencing, so I need all of the above suggestions. Each one makes sense, for good reasons. I am looking thoroughly and attempting to be patient. My J Bovier A5 Special sounds and plays so well-- so comfortably. I feel like it has given me a chance to improve my skills so much faster since receiving it June 19th. It has contributed to my MAS-- is that nuts? :) :mandosmiley:

lflngpicker
Jul-19-2014, 2:58pm
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the good advice. I am not interested in curtailing the MAS I am experiencing, so I need all of the above suggestions. Each one makes sense, for good reasons. I am looking thoroughly and attempting to be patient. My J Bovier A5 Special sounds and plays so well-- so comfortably. I feel like it has given me a chance to improve my skills so much faster since receiving it June 19th. It has contributed to my MAS-- is that nuts? :) :mandosmiley:

P.S. My son loves the Gibson 1912 A4 so I let him take it home-- he grew up playing it and before I got back into mandolin, he used to have possession of it (I didn't know what I had). Kind of missing having an oval hole-- that is affecting my thinking a lot. But I want that classic blue grass sound and feel, too. Course, my J Bovier gives me that... the vintage Kentucky F is going out somewhere Monday morning, so I need to replace it. My blue Amer. Strat is already gone, which is contributing to this next mando... the MAS saga continues (no pun intended).

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-19-2014, 3:21pm
I think you should check the resources on Mandolin Cafe: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001443.shtml has all the information you should need to find a mandolin up to 1 k. Many of those are way better than all of those that have been mentioned here incl. "The Loar" et al. Please find yourself one of those mentioned in the cafe thread. But I´m biased and my heart goes out the Strad-O-Lins.

lflngpicker
Jul-19-2014, 4:05pm
I think you should check the resources on Mandolin Cafe: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001443.shtml has all the information you should need to find a mandolin up to 1 k. Many of those are way better than all of those that have been mentioned here incl. "The Loar" et al. Please find yourself one of those mentioned in the cafe thread. But I´m biased and my heart goes out the Strad-O-Lins.

Thanks, Olaf. I had never seen that article. Such a good piece with loads of great information. I was surprised to see Strad-O-Lins mentioned so much, but enlightened as such. I have an old Gibson A4 in the family that my son now has at his place. It is so resonant and has great sustain. Thanks again!

MK in NC
Jul-20-2014, 5:34pm
It doesn't meet your $1,000 cap, but Sonny Morris of Irrigon, Oregon, will custom build an F in the $1,400-$1,500 range. His A-style mandolins are about $1,000, and he occasionally advertises a flattop at a much lower price.

If you catch him at the right time in his building schedule, the turnaround from your initial request to the completed mandolin can be two months or less, as was the case with my A-style Morris (No. 250 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?89689-Howard-Morris-Mandolin-No-250)).

If you're willing to extend your search above $1,000, others will chime in with additional suggestions.

OldGus
Jul-21-2014, 2:56pm
I'd check out the A9 that just became available via the Cafe classifieds.

DataNick
Jul-21-2014, 7:14pm
Or the F9 if still available for $1800 http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77365,

or the Flatiron Festival F for $1800 http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77115.

I'd scrape together the funds for either of those; both really good buys...

Josh Levine
Jul-21-2014, 7:47pm
If you are in the $1000 range the A9 would be my clear choice.

I have the exact same mandolin that Nick posted (2001 Flatiron) and paid about $2100 for it. So that seems to be a great deal especially with the Calton case and extra strings.

lflngpicker
Jul-21-2014, 7:48pm
Thanks Gus! I appreciate it.

lflngpicker
Jul-25-2014, 1:20am
I decided on a Kentucky Master Km-1000. I will have it in about a week. Thanks to all for the ideas and good advice.

Mike Bunting
Jul-25-2014, 1:47am
I decided on a Kentucky Master Km-1000. I will have it in about a week. Thanks to all for the ideas and good advice.

That's an excellent choice.

almeriastrings
Jul-25-2014, 2:17am
+1

They are amazing value and very nicely put together.

Zissou Intern
Jul-25-2014, 6:47am
Glad to hear you found one, Dan. Curious to hear how it compares to your J Bovier F5.

OldGus
Jul-25-2014, 8:33am
In my experience you will get more high end with a KM1000 and more low end with an A9. Both have a good mid range and good tone but I found the 2008 KM1000 I had to have weak bass and crappy frets. I have heard the newer ones have deeper bodies so hopefully more bass and hopefully better frets on yours. The workmanship was very clean and they used nice wood. I think the KM1050 has better frets...

lflngpicker
Jul-25-2014, 9:40am
"If I had a budget of $1000 and was determined to have an F model, I'd look for a used Kentucky KM1000 or a Breedlove Ff: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlov...27-i3772875.gc."

At the beginning of this thread, our friend Pheffernan wrote the above, recommending the Kentucky KM-1000. Interestingly, everywhere I turned-- to the Breedlove FF used on G.C., the used Weber A at the Mandolin Store, the possibility of a J.B F Tradition (I came closest to this move), or a Big Muddy, I could not get the KM-1000 out of my mind. I have a great A style with a lot of warmth, and yes, OldGus,you are absolutely right, it will have a more focused bluegrass sound. I had hoped a 1050 would be available for the reasons you cited above, OldGus. :) I am excited to get this one and realize that I missed on all the other options-- you all know that feeling? But this new mandolin was at the price of a very nice used KM-1000 that is in the classifieds, and mine will be brand new and getting a professional set up. I am grateful to this cafe for the support and advice you all give. Special props to Pheffernan for suggesting this mando to meet my needs right out of the gate. Ultimately, it is all fun and pure enjoyment. Last night I was playing my J Bovier while my son played the piano and we sang old Jackson Browne songs. I can't put the mandolin down and pick up my ol' guitar these days. The guitar is my life, but the mandolin has taken hold. Thanks everybody!

Capt. E
Jul-25-2014, 9:52am

Good choice. Personally I like the traditional nut width and flat fretboard on the KM-1000. I expect you may never need anything else.

lflngpicker
Jul-25-2014, 10:00am
Wow, that is high praise for an instrument from one of the greats. Thanks Capt. E!

Michael Bridges
Jul-27-2014, 6:13am
Wow, Dan! Between that JB, this new KM 1000, and the Gibby, a really nice selection of mandos. Really happy for ya, and i'm not the LEAST bit jealous!!!!!!! (yeah, right)

lflngpicker
Jul-27-2014, 5:55pm
Hey Michael! I appreciate it. I am gonna miss a couple of guitars and amplifiers that had to go in order to get the J.B. and Kentucky, but I felt that MAS so powerfully it could not be denied.