Check out John at 1:40, priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnq2yaPOE5Q

Sean

AlanN
Jul-08-2014, 6:52pm
The whole dang thing is priceless.

sgarrity
Jul-08-2014, 7:00pm
He was one of a kind, wasn't he? Wish I could have seen him live!

f5joe
Jul-08-2014, 7:42pm
Loved Duffey. He sat down with me between sets at the Birchmere back in '81. He was so much fun. Got to see him a bunch over the years.

AlanN
Jul-09-2014, 6:01am
John was one of the few who could get a rise out of Monroe on stage.

AlanN
Jul-09-2014, 6:28am
John was one of the few who could get a rise out of Monroe on stage.

Of note in the photo:

- hatless Monroe
- presumably 4 20's F-5 mandolins, with JD's 30's F-12 headstock sticking out of Monroe's back pocket
- Dawg was 20 years old
- Charlie Waller seated in back (see his inlaid Martin neck)

Charley wild
Jul-09-2014, 6:56am
Great video! Loved that guy!:)

Vernon Hughes
Jul-09-2014, 7:00am
Played many times on that old stage..One show in particular was memorable. We were there on the same bill with the Country Gentlemen and the Scene. The last song of the night we all got on stage to do a rendition of I'll fly away,I was standing in between Charlie Waller and John Duffey..John breaks a string and grabs my old alvarez out of my hands and takes off on a break..while playing he turns to me and says in a whisper " this is a chicken s**t mandolin". I'll not forget that night!

AlanN
Jul-09-2014, 7:18am
Vernon, do you mean this one?

Willie Poole
Jul-09-2014, 11:50am
Alan, In that photo from the Birchmere is that Tom Gray on guitar? If not, who is it? In all of my years I never went to The Birchmere, couldn`t find it the one time I tried to go....

Willie

sgrexa
Jul-09-2014, 12:21pm
I must say that the Seldom Scene and John Duffey had a profound influence. His mandolin playing was certainly a bit "sloppy" compared to modern standards, but I can't think of anyone with more style and heart. The string bending thing is still something you just do not see. I didn't appreciate the beauty of bluegrass harmony singing until I discovered the Scene. They had the whole package- musicianship, showmanship, great songs and singing all at the highest level. To be able to see them at the Birchmere in such a casual setting every week was a treasure I am sure many did not appreciate until later in life.

Sean

PS- Willie, not sure what picture you are talking about but the guitar player in the video is Phil Rosenthal, Tom Gray is on bass.

Timbofood
Jul-09-2014, 3:41pm
I loved that man! They broke the mould after him! Style!? Fashion and musical, incomparable! Only met him twice but, what a kind fellow. He dedicated a whole set to a friend who was planning on being at the show but, came down with a case of appendicitis and could not make the performance, I will never forget that.
Vernon, I love the CS reference! That cracks me up. Wakefield used my Alvarez once and liked it quite a bit, maybe he was just being kind.

billinaz
Jul-09-2014, 7:15pm
Is that Peter Rowan on the right playing guitar?

billinaz
Jul-09-2014, 7:17pm
I was referring to black and white photo that AlanM posted.

Laurence Firth
Jul-10-2014, 1:16pm
Yes that's Peter Rowan and the man to the right of Big Mon I think is Bobby Osborne.

djweiss
Jul-10-2014, 1:36pm
Here's on of my favorite Duffey/Monroe photos...

Bill13
Jul-12-2014, 9:57pm
What a great video - thanks!

billinaz
Jul-22-2014, 12:45pm
I saw The Scene at The Birchmere way back about 1979. That night, Bill Monroe came onstage. No one even knew he was there. Duffey introduced him as The Bluegrass Boys, with Bill Monroe. Only John could get away with that statement. I remember Kenny Baker played the best Orange Blossom Special I've ever heard.