PDA

View Full Version : New Tenor Guitar

sunburst
Jul-02-2014, 1:52pm
I haven't completed any mandolins lately, but I have finished a few guitars. This one is a tenor guitar, and since this forum has a tenor guitar section I figured it would be OK to post a few snap shots of it here.
The new owner took it out the door right after the pick guard was attached, so I didn't have a chance to get any proper pictures, but these snap shots show basically what it looks like.

sunburst
Jul-02-2014, 1:55pm
The back, sides and neck are mahogany, the top is European spruce. Ebony fingerboard, peghead overlay, pins and tuner buttons. Scale length is 23". Evo gold frets, bone nut and saddle. (I think that covers everything.)
Thanks for looking!

Pete Jenner
Jul-02-2014, 2:26pm
Thanks for looking!
Thanks for posting.

tree
Jul-02-2014, 2:48pm
Nice, John. Wish I could hear it.

I've only recently learned about tenor guitars, but apparently they are rapidly gaining in popularity.

GKWilson
Jul-02-2014, 3:01pm
What a beautiful guitar John.
Maybe if the owner hangs out around here he'll let us hear it.
Did you build it to a particular tuning or is it flexible?
Gary

sunburst
Jul-02-2014, 3:47pm
It's tuned CGDA. I suppose it could be tuned otherwise, but the owner plays it this way.
He uses it to back up fiddle tunes. He's a world class fiddler, has lots of fiddle/violin students, and sometimes uses the tenor guitar for back up when the students go to contests.

billhay4
Jul-02-2014, 4:18pm
Nice looking instrument. I, too, would like to hear it.
What kind of tuners are those?
Bill

Steve Zawacki
Jul-02-2014, 4:20pm
Have gone back (CGDA) and forth (GDAE) on my TG, and can't make up my mind whch I like the most.

The photos look fabulous. Thanks for sharing them.

sunburst
Jul-02-2014, 5:27pm
What kind of tuners are those?
Bill

They're Waverly guitar tuners with ebony buttons.
Now I need to make two more tenor guitars to come out even on tuners! (I could only find sets of six.) I couldn't talk the owner into banjo tuners, which I think would have been cool.

billhay4
Jul-02-2014, 6:04pm
Now I need to make two more tenor guitars to come out even on tuners!
Or talk someone into an 8 string something.
Bill

tburcham
Jul-02-2014, 6:31pm
Beautiful work Mr. Hamlett!

Charles E.
Jul-02-2014, 7:28pm
Beautiful looking tenor John!

Verne Andru
Jul-02-2014, 9:00pm
Very sweet. Thanks for sharing.

F-2 Dave
Jul-02-2014, 9:23pm
Great looking tenor. I really like the look of the ebony buttons.

amowry
Jul-03-2014, 1:57pm
Sweet! Looks beautiful. I really like your logo, John. Had logos on the brain lately...

j. condino
Jul-03-2014, 2:28pm
John:

What about buying the Waverlies in a four pack badged for ukes?

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Ukulele/Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners.html

Wanna sell me your two extra? I need a couple with ebony buttons next week to round them up to 8 for a mandocello!

j.
www.condino.com

SincereCorgi
Jul-03-2014, 3:58pm
That thing looks absolutely classic, John, totally elegant.

sunburst
Jul-04-2014, 11:36am
John:

What about buying the Waverlies in a four pack badged for ukes?

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Ukulele/Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners.html

Wanna sell me your two extra? I need a couple with ebony buttons next week to round them up to 8 for a mandocello!

I got these tuners from Stewmac. They said they only had sets of 6, the Uke sets must be something new (I bought these a while back).
PM sent.

Verne Andru
Jul-04-2014, 1:29pm
FWIW Allparts will put together sets in whatever quantity you want, as long as they stock the stuff. As a builder, getting a dealer account should be for the asking.

Verne Andru
Jul-04-2014, 1:31pm
BTW sunburst - I have a meerschaum pipe I bought in Athens in the 70's with a head carving almost identical to your avatar. Where's yours from?

Jake Wildwood
Jul-05-2014, 2:13pm
Classy!

sunburst
Jul-05-2014, 10:49pm
...a head carving almost identical to your avatar. Where's yours from?

I was just "funning" around at Galax a couple of years ago and that was a fiddle Jack Cowardin had/has. I thought it would be funny to make him look cool with the cap and sunglasses (in Photoshop, obviously). I don't know who made the fiddle or how long ago.

Jeff Hildreth
Jul-05-2014, 11:19pm
Beautiful instrument that needs banjo tuners.

Considering that the amount of labor for a tenor is only marginally les than a six string, this has to be a labor of love.

Fine looking instrument.

John,

What is the nut width and bridge string spacing, could it be fingerpicked ?

Thanks

Jeff

sunburst
Jul-05-2014, 11:46pm
The nut width is 1 1/4", string spacing at the nut, IIRC, is in 3/32" from the edge of the fingerboard for the A, in 1/8" for the C, so that would make the center to center string spacing at the nut about 1 1/32".
I spaced the strings at the bridge the same as the center 4 strings of a 6 string guitar, so yes, it could be finger picked.

Ron McMillan
Jul-05-2014, 11:51pm
It's beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a tenor guitar up close. Can you give me an idea of its size, compared to a mandolin or a 'regular' six-string guitar?

ron

sunburst
Jul-06-2014, 12:36am
It is the size and shape of a Martin 0. Roughly, it corresponds to a Martin 0-18T, so it is the same size as a 'regular' 6-string Martin 0-18, but with 4 strings and shorter scale length.