PDA

View Full Version : 1946 Martin 2-15

DaveyMando
Jun-27-2014, 1:18pm

This 1946 Martin 2-15 is available for $700. Does anyone have one or similar year/model that would be willing to offer me a review? Thanks!

Jim Garber
Jun-27-2014, 2:37pm
I see from your other posts that you play Celtic and old time. I had one also from the 1940s. It was very nicely made in the Martin tradition but not the loudest mandolin and I don't recall it having much of a tone that appealed to me. Also, beware that these have a design flaw -- often the top seam opens up (or the top cracks) at the tailpiece ends. The one I had did that after some time -- I prob had it for 2 years.

The price is not bad. If you are only playing by yourself or perhaps just using it for recording, it might be fine. I have a feeling tho that if you are going to be playing out in moderately large sessions you will find it hard to hear yourself. You might prefer a Gibson.

Essentially, tho, no one can really review these (or any other) mandolins for you personally. The best thing is, if possible, to get out to some stores that have and try them out. Only you can make the proper decision what is best for you.

If that is impossible, then perhaps if you can buy from a reputable dealer you would have the option of an approval period. That way you can try the mandolin out. Usually, you would have to pay for shipping back to the store or seller but it might be worth it to have the instrument in hand.

mrmando
Jun-27-2014, 2:40pm
My pal Edd has one of these that's just spectacular. Projects really well. Good price if you don't mind the missing pickguard.

Jim Garber
Jun-27-2014, 2:52pm
Well, there you have it. Conflicting reviews. I should temper mine with the fact that I sold it years ago but mine did not appeal to me either tonally or volume-wise (I repeat). Perhaps Martin's friend has set his up in a better manner. Mine certainly was not spectacular. Yes, the pickguard is missing on that one you posted.

mrmando
Jun-27-2014, 4:05pm
Small sample sizes. It's possible that Edd's 2-15 is exceptional.

Jim Garber
Jun-28-2014, 7:25am
I should say that the 2-15 I had was acceptable tonewise but nothing compared to other mandolins I owned. Maybe Edd found the secret to optimal playing of these mandolins.

brunello97
Jul-01-2014, 6:53am
There's an oval hole Martin 2-15 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/77340) in the classifieds right now. Don't see them all so often. I've only played one once. More familiar with the 2-15 fs. Would love to A-B with an L+H C.

I liked it--and Martins in general--but perhaps the lack of F-holes set up a different set of expectations viz alternatives. I do think these look really nice.

Mick

Jim Garber
Jul-01-2014, 8:14am
The ad is labelled correctly. Mick: the Style 2-15 is f-holes whereas the Style 15 is oval hole. I have never played the earlier styles. They are less common than the later f-holed ones.

brunello97
Jul-01-2014, 1:48pm
The ad is labelled correctly. Mick: the Style 2-15 is f-holes whereas the Style 15 is oval hole.

Check. Makes perfect sense.

Mick