PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin

Bartk1448
Jun-26-2014, 11:38am
Just a little brag here and a few questions. My brand new Calace No. 26 came today from the Calace factory in Italy. It looks really nice and I am really happy with the appearance.

However, I need a little coaching on how to break it in. How many days do I have to wait before I tighten up the strings and tune it? Do I tune it all the way up, or do I tune it a few semitones below pitch, then gradually raise it up? I'm anxious to play it but I don't want any cracks to appear due to the change in climate. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Michael Weaver
Jun-26-2014, 12:55pm
You have more restraint than I do for sure. If you can tell that the instrument has acclimated well I wouldn't hesitate to play it now at full tension. The builder played it at full tension before it left the factory. But you do need to post pictures because we all like show and tell. Have fun!

DataNick
Jun-26-2014, 4:29pm
Congrats! I did a little reading and that seems to be a brand with a nice heritage, enjoy!

Mike Bunting
Jun-26-2014, 5:34pm
Just a little brag here and a few questions. My brand new Calace No. 26 came today from the Calace factory in Italy. It looks really nice and I am really happy with the appearance.

However, I need a little coaching on how to break it in. How many days do I have to wait before I tighten up the strings and tune it? Do I tune it all the way up, or do I tune it a few semitones below pitch, then gradually raise it up? I'm anxious to play it but I don't want any cracks to appear due to the change in climate. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Six months oughta do it.

bohemianbiker
Jun-26-2014, 7:41pm
Pictures, pictures!!!

Congrats. bb

Bartk1448
Jun-29-2014, 10:33am
Thanks to everyone who responded. I need to get permission from my roomate to use the camera to take pictures that I can post. So that might take some doing. You can download pics from the Calace website here at: www.calace.it It is a number 26 mandolin. Oh and I just put a pic of the mandolin as my profile pic and avatar pic.