https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Hb9ZAi-dc
With some pretty good mando.
Bill

RichM
Jun-26-2014, 11:12am
ohhh, I like that! Thanks for posting!

journeybear
Jun-26-2014, 11:52am
Mighty fine! I haven't even wanted an F-5 in a long time. But now I do. That is one fine-sounding instrument. :mandosmiley:

BTW, regardless of what he says, it IS about drugs. Maybe it wasn't meant to be, at first (though I imagine the writers were well aware of double entendres and had some fun with them), but it became that, once introduced to the culture. Yes, it was inspired by their flight to London, and there is imagery of that, but there are other themes running through the song. But if he wishes to attempt to dispel such rumors, fine. Good luck! I know better. ;) And so do hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people, who had songs like this on the stereo while getting a little higher. Maybe not eight miles up, but some elevation. ;) And ultimately, it doesn't matter what a song is really about, or what the writer meant while writing it; what matters is how it makes you feel or how it fulfills you - and that is entirely different and all yours.

Anyway ... :whistling: ... thanks! To you, and The Byrds, and Desert Rose Band. This is very enjoyable. :mandosmiley:

EdHanrahan
Jun-26-2014, 11:55am
NICE!

I got to see Chris & Herb about 3 years ago. They did a slew of Byrds & Desert Rose covers, plus their own "At Edwards Barn" then-recent release, and were simply outstanding. But the interplay here between 8- & 12-string... YEOW!!

billhay4
Jun-26-2014, 12:03pm
Can anyone identify the make of the mando. I thought it was a Red Diamond at first, but the logo seems to be only one word in some of the views of the headstock. Perhap[s Collins?
Bill

Russ Jordan
Jun-26-2014, 12:19pm
not a Collings fingerboard

LongBlackVeil
Jun-26-2014, 12:30pm
Listen to that first mandolin strum! Wow, really great tone.

Can anyone name that chord? The very first chord with the mandolin

journeybear
Jun-26-2014, 1:25pm
That's just a regular Em, 0223. It sounds so good because that's a nice mandolin, and well, it's a great chord anyway. ;)

I was assuming that's the Loar Steven Stills gave him many years ago. If not, then someone did a nice job.

EdHanrahan
Jun-26-2014, 1:31pm
... make of the mando.

Around 1:48 to 1:51 or so, it sure looks like two lines. "Red Diamond" pretty much fits, but it's so blurry that if someone said "The Gibson", I couldn't really argue. Think I read somewhere, probably Fretboard Journal, that he doesn't tour with the Loar.

LongBlackVeil
Jun-26-2014, 1:34pm
That's just a regular Em, 0223. It sounds so good because that's a nice mandolin, and well, it's a great chord anyway. ;)

I was assuming that's the Loar Steven Stills gave him many years ago. If not, then someone did a nice job.

ah, ok. Yes it sure does sound good.

I dont think its a Loar though, around 1:30 you can see the inlay on the headstock, it sure doesnt look like a traditional flower pot. Ive also heard Hillman does not take the loar on tour with him, claiming there is too many great mandolins out there now days to risk taking the loar out.

I think this is one of those great mandolins

journeybear
Jun-26-2014, 1:43pm
Yeah, I'd believe it if he never takes the Loar out. Though I'd like to think he would, now and then. I thought I saw a fleur-de-lis. But it looks too pristine to be that old. Never mind, just wishing ...

Mark Wilson
Jun-26-2014, 1:47pm
From the internet: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/printer_909.shtml

"Other Hillman tidbits:

His Loar: A March 31, 1924 F5, with a Verzi. Stills paid George Gruhn $2,500 for it in 1972. He loves the tone and has retired it from the road, unless he can keep a close eye on it.

"It's a good instrument, I'll never sell it."

Current stage ax: A 2006 Red Diamond F5. "It's loud and it plays easy. But I also have great affection for Bill Collings' mandolins." For guitar, a small-bodied Santa Cruz.

Reads the Cafe: "I like it, I go there a lot. I've bought and sold some mandolins on the classifieds."

journeybear
Jun-26-2014, 2:06pm
Well, there we have it. All I could see was short word, long word, and I was hoping ... Still, as I said, a fine-sounding instrument. :mandosmiley:

[QUOTE=Mark Wilson;1300904] Reads the Cafe: "I like it, I go there a lot. I've bought and sold some mandolins on the classifieds."[QUOTE]

Um ... Hi, Chris. Love your music, and The Byrds. Saw Desert Rose Band open for Tanya Tucker at the same place in CT where I saw The Byrds back in 1965, my first rock show. I'm the guy that hung around after the show to shake your hand and tell you that. I played bass before I picked up the mandolin, too - instruments with consistent intervals between four courses make sense to me, others don't - so you and Howie Epstein are among my role models. And what I said in my first post here - guess work, of course, based on my own experience and what seems to make sense to me, But once songs go out into the air, where they land and what they do to whomever hears them is out of their creators' control. Just the way things work. You know that.

Peace!