PDA

View Full Version : I knew it would happen eventually....

CSIMelissa
Jun-24-2014, 9:01pm
Went to a Judy Collins show tonight (AMAZING by the way) and the one-song opening act included a mandolinist. I found myself mentally critiquing how he was playing and I haven't even been playing for a year.... *sigh* I knew it would happen eventually.

JeffD
Jun-24-2014, 9:48pm
This is a good point. There is a way that a lot of music is harder for me to just relax and enjoy because I have my critical discernment in gear and start to pick it apart. Either to criticize it or if its great to figure out why its great and how it works.

More difficult to just let music wash over me and let myself just become overwhelmed.

Bill Baldridge
Jun-24-2014, 10:58pm
Wait until you do some recording. After spending days and money in a studio critiquing every detail of the project, you may find that you just don't want to hear it again for a long time. It has been my experience that whenever I have achieved a basic level of competence and interest in a subject I critique it whenever and wherever I encounter it. I was trained as a photographer and every image I see gets judged. Same goes for upholstery; did that while going to college and can't go in a house without checking out the seams on the easy chair. I remember reading some research that claimed that creative people are often more critical that others as they tend to come from a "How can I fix a problem?" approach while others are more likely to want to be positive, "How can I make this better?" I don't know about all that, but from that perspective the title would read: I knew it SHOULD happen eventually.:)

Ellen T
Jun-24-2014, 11:50pm
I think we all do it; I was listening to something accoustic on the radio recently and was enjoying it but then noticed the Giant Annoying Finger Squeak on the strings and I could no longer hear the tune, just the SQUEAK.

I worked in a museum for many years, and although I love visiting museums in other cities, half of that enjoyment is finding things to criticize in their exhibits, gift shops, security, you name it. I hope I get past that some day because the tourist half of me is always thwacking the critic half of me upside the head. Ow.

bratsche
Jun-25-2014, 10:46am
Yeah, we sort of have to be perfectionists in order to even do this music stuff in the first place; that trait can be a mixed curse and blessing, though, as we often find out. The only music I can completely relax with is that which is unfamiliar to me (of course it's got to be well-performed, that much is a given!) But then, once it becomes more familiar, the less relaxing it is to listen to... and so on. LOL

bratsche

Bertram Henze
Jun-25-2014, 10:56am
Thanks for providing me with an excuse for hardly attending concerts at all...

jaycat
Jun-25-2014, 11:30am
Yeah, we sort of have to be perfectionists in order to even do this music stuff in the first place; . . .

I think I must have missed that memo.

mandobassman
Jun-25-2014, 4:57pm
I think we all do it; I was listening to something accoustic on the radio recently and was enjoying it but then noticed the Giant Annoying Finger Squeak on the strings and I could no longer hear the tune, just the SQUEAK.

I hate that as well and I'm always aware of it. That's one of the main reasons I use flatwound strings. The downside to that is I can seldom play anyone else's mandolin without the string windings driving me crazy. Plus, I hear the squeak constantly on recordings.

CSIMelissa
Jun-25-2014, 5:31pm
Well I still love going to concerts but the situation last night was a "don't be that guy" type moment because the guy never moved, had a very stiff arm (no wrist movement at all) and he just stared at his mando's neck. Maybe he was just nervous but it was a reminder that if I EVER am lucky enough to play with others that I should be somewhat engaging and look like I'm having a least some fun.

Willie Poole
Jun-25-2014, 7:06pm
When I watch and hear a mandolin player I am the worlds worse critic, when I just listen on the radio or CD`s I let the music roll over me and am no where near as critical as I am when I see it in person or on TV...

Willie

Willie Poole
Jun-25-2014, 7:08pm
I sure hope the OP wasn`t at one of the shows that I played....I wasn't at my best on the last show I played, getting older you know....

journeybear
Jun-25-2014, 7:11pm
So then, it wasn't so much "how he was playing" than "how he looked while he was playing?" Because I'll tell ya, being from the Jerry-Garcia-just-stand-there-and-play approach to stage presence, I don't care too much about the latter. Not that there's anything wrong with it :mandosmiley: but people who put more energy into providing the audience with something to look at, rather than listen to, are off the mark and missing the point. Playing music is for the ears more than for the eyes. I'm all for presenting the complete package, of course, and entertaining an audience can mean a variety of things, but the emphasis should be auditory rather than visual.

I blame MTV in large part for the way our culture has developed this way over the last thirty years - and I mean the original incarnation of MTV, not whatever awful tripe it has become, but when suddenly performers found themselves compelled to present some kind of spectacle instead of just play music, and this soon superseded the music part of it. One of the worst shows I ever saw - and I really mean "saw" - was Janet Jackson. Spectacular set design, 15-meter-tall video screens on both sides of the stage displaying all the dancing and closeups of Janet, splashy lighting, a dozen dancers, sparkly costumes, the works - but they forgot about the music part of it. Dull, repetitive, poorly mixed, even her vocals - too much reverb or something so I could hardly hear any words. I'll grant that her music is more about dance than, well, music, but I'm a musician, and I approach concerts from a musical point of view.

Anyway, the point of my rambling rant is I don't care much whether a player looks like he's enjoying himself, as long as the music he's making gets me to enjoy myself. I drive my band leader nuts because of my own tendency to stand still and concentrate on playing rather than move around, and he's taken me to task again and again about his, and I try to move more, but really - I'm much more concerned about playing right, hitting my notes and getting the tone right. Besides, I know what I look like, and I don't believe anyone wants to see all this move about too much! :)) :disbelief: :crying: Oh sure, I've gotten better, and I do stuff like play solos behind my head, but I see in most band photos I'm doing just what that guy was doing - looking at his fingers, making sure he's hitting his notes. I dunno, I just feel it's important to do that. :cool:

CSIMelissa
Jun-25-2014, 9:41pm
So then, it wasn't so much "how he was playing" than "how he looked while he was playing?" Because I'll tell ya, being from the Jerry-Garcia-just-stand-there-and-play approach to stage presence, I don't care too much about the latter. Not that there's anything wrong with it :mandosmiley: but people who put more energy into providing the audience with something to look at, rather than listen to, are off the mark and missing the point. Playing music is for the ears more than for the eyes. I'm all for presenting the complete package, of course, and entertaining an audience can mean a variety of things, but the emphasis should be auditory rather than visual.

I blame MTV in large part for the way our culture has developed this way over the last thirty years - and I mean the original incarnation of MTV, not whatever awful tripe it has become, but when suddenly performers found themselves compelled to present some kind of spectacle instead of just play music, and this soon superseded the music part of it. One of the worst shows I ever saw - and I really mean "saw" - was Janet Jackson. Spectacular set design, 15-meter-tall video screens on both sides of the stage displaying all the dancing and closeups of Janet, splashy lighting, a dozen dancers, sparkly costumes, the works - but they forgot about the music part of it. Dull, repetitive, poorly mixed, even her vocals - too much reverb or something so I could hardly hear any words. I'll grant that her music is more about dance than, well, music, but I'm a musician, and I approach concerts from a musical point of view.

Anyway, the point of my rambling rant is I don't care much whether a player looks like he's enjoying himself, as long as the music he's making gets me to enjoy myself. I drive my band leader nuts because of my own tendency to stand still and concentrate on playing rather than move around, and he's taken me to task again and again about his, and I try to move more, but really - I'm much more concerned about playing right, hitting my notes and getting the tone right. Besides, I know what I look like, and I don't believe anyone wants to see all this move about too much! :)) :disbelief: :crying: Oh sure, I've gotten better, and I do stuff like play solos behind my head, but I see in most band photos I'm doing just what that guy was doing - looking at his fingers, making sure he's hitting his notes. I dunno, I just feel it's important to do that. :cool:

Well this dude just didn't seem to be enjoying himself. That makes a big difference to me and I think whether someone is enjoying what they play or not definitely shows in the quality of music they are making.

journeybear
Jun-25-2014, 10:06pm
That's too bad. I'll tell you - if I got a gig backing up Judy Collins I would definitely be enjoying myself, whether or not it showed! :grin: But even if there was something going on in his off-stage life that was causing him to look a bit grim (these things happen), it's his main responsibility to play his parts well, That's what pro sidemen do - hit their mark, play their part, then step back - and leave the rest of their lives out of the picture. If he did that, then I'm OK with any other aspects of his performance.

Ellen T
Jun-26-2014, 1:01am
Since I'm anonymous here I will admit that I sometimes watch American Idol. It drove me nuts this season because one of the better singers was constantly criticized for just "standing there and singing." If I want to see a dance performance, that's what I'll watch. I'll take a singer who just stands there, or sits on a stool, any day, rather than someone huffing around the stage like an idiot. A few people can pull it off, but a lot of time it just masks their talent. Of course, I had decades of listening to my Dad calling anyone a show-off who moved AT ALL while they sang.

On the other hand, a musician who stays hunched over their instrument so you can't see their face the whole time is a different kind of annoying, and it can look mighty pretentious. Gillian Welch (and some others), I'm talking to you. You're brilliant, you don't need to prove how hard you are working.

roysboy
Jun-26-2014, 2:37am

Amen to ALL of that . You don't see the Bluegrass greats jumping up and down like marionettes to entertain the crowd . ..(.well Ok ....maybe Thile but he's got that WILD classical side ). Most of the GREAT players make it all look so relaxed and comfortable , barely smiling or moving anything but their fingers while they are playing some of the most intricate and exciting music you'll ever hear .

Bertram Henze
Jun-26-2014, 3:36am
I think the point is to make the crowd see you're enjoying it, not make the crowd see you're feeling miserable while pretending to enjoy making them see you're hating it - or something :confused:. I know why I prefer pub sessions.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-26-2014, 3:46am
I never criticise the playing of others unless it obviously sounds 'wrong' somehow. However,when it comes to 'self criticism',how many boat loads do you want on here (i'm only joking - i'm totally,utterly awesome !). Seriously,i save my criticism for where it'll do the most good - for myself. Criticising others,unless as i say, something sounds 'wrong',only makes me feel hypocritical,because i myself am only 99.99999% perfect !,:))
Ivan:redface:

CSIMelissa
Jun-26-2014, 9:09am
That's too bad. I'll tell you - if I got a gig backing up Judy Collins I would definitely be enjoying myself, whether or not it showed! :grin: But even if there was something going on in his off-stage life that was causing him to look a bit grim (these things happen), it's his main responsibility to play his parts well, That's what pro sidemen do - hit their mark, play their part, then step back - and leave the rest of their lives out of the picture. If he did that, then I'm OK with any other aspects of his performance.
He wasn't backing her up, he was just part of the one song opening act. Anyway... Differing opinions.

CSIMelissa
Jun-26-2014, 9:16am
I think many of you think I am criticizing him personally and are missing my point. , I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of remembering what he projected and not doing that if I am ever fortunate enough to play in front of others. (For example, since I speak publically about the books I write, I tend to watch other public speakers and try not to be dry and/or say "Uh, um" continuously.) Not looking for Pete Townsend leaps or antics, I'm just looking to project something light and positive. For example, Judy Collins didn't move around to terribly much but she just glowed in her performance on stage with her guitar and that really endeared herself to the music and seemed to be having a darned good time.

Tom C
Jun-26-2014, 9:38am
Since I've been playing, I listen to music differently. Words? what are words? I find myself in a trance of hearing chords and notes. Playing with my friends, I have no idea what the song is about until somebody makes a comment on a line or verse.

GuitarDogs62
Jun-26-2014, 9:49am
Keep in mind two things could have happened. He was opening and felt the pressure and delt with it by playing stiff and focusing on his instrument so he did not have to deal with the audiance. Two he doesn't know yet how to just relax and cut loose and have fun with the music. I have been blessed with this and have played in front of numerous Audiances on stage and what people after the shows always told me is that I looked like I was having fun and getting into the music. Then hearing the audiance applause when you sing a song or two lets you know that all your efforts, practice and patience was worth every minute of time. I think we as humans are always looking for perfection and worried what every one else will think and forget to just relax and play and and most of all have fun. I believe that perfection comes from practice, patience, passion and fun.

avaldes
Jun-26-2014, 10:01am
I am one of those unfortunate souls who looks tense, even though I do play in front of people regularly, occasionally even for pay (on guitar. Not there on mando yet, but getting close). If I have a set, I have a couple of easy "starter" songs to get me somewhat relaxed, and on which if I crash it is not too bad. Then I get more into my set. But if he was just doing one song, and it was opening for a major performer, maybe he could not overcome his nerves.
I have been taking a lot of video of myself playing. For me, at least, it introduces many of the stage fright issues of a public performance, and so helps practice overcoming that. Plus I get to see how tense I really look, and work on specifics. With the relative ease of doing video today, I highly recommend it.

journeybear
Jun-26-2014, 11:24am
He wasn't backing her up, he was just part of the one song opening act. Anyway... Differing opinions.

Oh, OK Missed that, somehow. My bad. :redface: That would explain how he could look like he was very nervous - playing one song in front of The Queen will do that. I still stand by what I said, though, even if it isn't really relevant to this situation. :)

All right, easing myself down off the soapbox now, hoping I don't cause any more fuss ... :whistling:

bratsche
Jun-26-2014, 12:05pm
I am one of those unfortunate souls who looks tense, even though I do play in front of people regularly, occasionally even for pay (on guitar. Not there on mando yet, but getting close). If I have a set, I have a couple of easy "starter" songs to get me somewhat relaxed, and on which if I crash it is not too bad. Then I get more into my set. But if he was just doing one song, and it was opening for a major performer, maybe he could not overcome his nerves.
I have been taking a lot of video of myself playing. For me, at least, it introduces many of the stage fright issues of a public performance, and so helps practice overcoming that. Plus I get to see how tense I really look, and work on specifics. With the relative ease of doing video today, I highly recommend it.

I completely agree with you about the value of video recording oneself, the tension it induces, and the problems it reveals. I only wish it was easier to do in my situation. Seems every time, it takes me 1-2 hours, and sometimes longer, to set up and get the sound and video working right. Sometimes I've just given up, because after all of that hassle, I don't even feel like playing anymore. I wish I had a system that was more reliable, or one I could leave set up and in place somewhere, but unfortunately, I have to set up from scratch each time, and it has been anything but a "plug-'n'-play" experience.

bratsche

Randi Gormley
Jun-27-2014, 10:53am
I occasionally will debate with myself the difference between being a musician and being a performer. we have some really fine musicians in my group but only one or two performers. Sometimes I'll be at a gig and look around at the other musicians and (now, this is Irish music, remember) everybody is looking down at their feet or off into space. So I'll occasionally look at the audience and smile. I think if you have the ability to connect with the audience at least once, you ought to take it even if it isn't your primary reaction. You can do it without being overt, too -- didn't Melissa say Judy Collins just glowed without doing much but play?

journeybear
Jun-27-2014, 11:24am
Yes, and I quite understand that. That's really the way it should be, too - you play well, people listen intently, and it's a win-win. Many listeners don't pay enough attention to the music or have other things on their minds or are getting distracted by this or that, and many musicians aren't quite good enough to compel their interest, so these factors work against what might have been optimal circumstances. And not everyone performing is a goddess, like Judy Blue Eyes. What can one do? Like the poet said. "Try to do your best / And forget about the rest." (OK, that's me, but it fits.)

And you're right - there's a difference between being a musician and a performer. One of the things that worked against me while I was busking is I didn't have much of an act, regardless of how well I may have been playing. Of course, this is very different from playing a show - a busker is trying to catch random passersby's attentions very quickly as they pass by, while a musician playing a concert is trying to provide quality entertainment to those with that same specific intention in mind - but there are lessons to be learned there than can apply to a concert situation.

Bertram Henze
Jun-27-2014, 11:27am
Sometimes I'll be at a gig and look around at the other musicians and (now, this is Irish music, remember) everybody is looking down at their feet or off into space.

I think you can get away with talking a bit to the audience to demonstrate you are actually a human being and then spend the rest of the time having your hat smile at them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N746L7sTE

jaycat
Jun-27-2014, 11:40am
. . . didn't Melissa say Judy Collins just glowed without doing much but play?

She was probably enjoying herself. If you're not having a good time yourself, you can't fake it.

Many of my fondest concert memories involve New Orleans musicians -- Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Fats Domino, John Boutte. . . . All of them were obviously having a good time entertaining the people. I don't know how you can put that across if you're not feeling it yourself.

emitfo
Jun-27-2014, 11:40am

Oh how I long for the days & nights when musicians were ugly! Not "Hollywood Ugly" but FUGLY. There was no doubt where their skill set resided. Funny thing is, the more I listened to the wonderful music they made the better looking they became. We are given the same amount of hours in a day and you (plural) can choose to improve your "look(s)" or your sounds. It's not that visuals have *nothing* to do with it--especially in a live situation--but they are a distant 2nd or 3rd or...to the sounds being produced and the emotions behind them.

As they say, IMO. BTW, I definitely would have noticed someone looking like they weren't having any fun as well and would have been slightly confused by it but would likely have assigned it to bad habits they picked up along the way while they were mastering their instruments and technique.

bratsche
Jun-27-2014, 11:52am
I think you can get away with talking a bit to the audience to demonstrate you are actually a human being and then spend the rest of the time having your hat smile at them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-N746L7sTE

I had trouble understanding what he said.
(And he'd need a different hat if he were busking. If he turned it upside down, it would be frowning... :( )

bratsche

lorrainehornig
Jun-27-2014, 12:22pm
I personally don't critique anyone. Sure I hear people play who are beginners or who are obviously nervous, but I never say anything critical because these people are actually going out on a limb and are taking the chance that I have been wanting to take for years. I applaud them...each and every one. Someday I will get out of my own way and play publicly...I've been told I'm ready, but the confidence just isn't there. I'm too afraid of the people who are out there looking for every little mistake. In my opinion there are very, VERY few people out there who are qualified to critique the work of another player. That's just my humble opinion.

Eric C.
Jun-27-2014, 12:28pm
You should just get out and do it. I've noticed that those people (sometimes very few, mind you) that do actually listen to the music, are listening because they enjoy it, not to turn their nose down at it. If they don't enjoy what they hear, they'll leave. I'll generally listen to a handful of songs even if I'm not enjoying it, and will leave after that (and never leave midsong, that's rude).

I personally don't critique anyone. Sure I hear people play who are beginners or who are obviously nervous, but I never say anything critical because these people are actually going out on a limb and are taking the chance that I have been wanting to take for years. I applaud them...each and every one. Someday I will get out of my own way and play publicly...I've been told I'm ready, but the confidence just isn't there. I'm too afraid of the people who are out there looking for every little mistake. In my opinion there are very, VERY few people out there who are qualified to critique the work of another player. That's just my humble opinion.

belbein
Jun-27-2014, 12:39pm
the difference between being a musician and being a performer. . . Judy Collins just glowed without doing much but play

I understand that for some people, it's "just about the music," and the audience is irrelevant. But the thing is, if you're doing it in public, it's a performance. (See Erving Goffman, The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life)

I know for me, personally, I get more enjoyment from a performer who lets me/the audience know that s/he is doing it for us. I submit that that is true for nearly everyone. Two examples: Paul Thorn, a singer/songwriter from Mississippi, is a very good (but not brilliant) musician, a very good (but not brilliant) song writer--but because he's such a fine performer, you cannot walk out of one of his concerts without feeling like you've been a participant in a conversation. Chris Thile--pick noise or no pick noise--is the same: a wonderful performer in addition to his technical expertise. I think they transmit connection to their audiences, and it's part of why we like live performances. After all, the music is better in a recording; the only thing different about a live performance is the interaction.

As for Judy Collins ... I seriously doubt she got a "glow" from performing--not after all these years. I mean, I'm sure she enjoys it. But I'm willing to bet that what Judy Collins learned years ago was that people really responded when you respond to them. I don't mean she was faking the glow, but as the aforementioned Professor Goffman points out, we take on roles to communicate with our audiences. The importance of that fact is what made so many of us call so many of our great folk musicians "great."

Bertram Henze
Jun-27-2014, 2:26pm
I had trouble understanding what he said.

Well, there was some banter about farm animal's noises and the names of the tunes he was about to play (O'Rourke's Reel, Spike Island Lasses, Lord MacDonald) - the Irish brogue takes time to get used to, but it adds a lot of authentic personality.

Capt. E
Jun-27-2014, 2:42pm
Yeah, my wife has worked in theaters as a lighting tech, set designer etc for so long that she can't go to plays without seeing all the "bones" and the "mistakes". Very hard to just relax and enjoy the performances.

stevedenver
Jun-27-2014, 3:14pm
(For example, since I speak publically about the books I write, I tend to watch other public speakers and try not to be dry and/or say "Uh, um" continuously.) Not looking for Pete Townsend leaps or antics, I'm just looking to project something light and positive. For example, Judy Collins didn't move around to terribly much but she just glowed in her performance on stage with her guitar and that really endeared herself to the music and seemed to be having a darned good time.

I agree. And the fact that you comment at all is enough to demonstrate how important this aspect is.

I understand the point about playing music being enough made by journeybear.
Some of us may bristle due to form taking over substance when it comes to the most popular music. I do. But, most of the audience is there to be entertained, some music lovers, others for the beer.

I think many of us have a tough time going from competent musician to entertainer, the latter being an added facet of the show.
Not unlike.....dare I say it.....appropriate attire.

All I can say, is, that like a jury or audience, the music audience picks up on many communication cues.

Smiles, body language and movement, etc, and, like it or not, it IS influential. Not unlike having that steak dinner in soft lighting and a nice atmosphere versus the same , more or less, on a laminated table with fluorescent lighting. The WHOLE PACKAGE matters.

And, I for one struggle with it at times. I am not always naturally outgoing. If I'm tense when I perform, it result in a total inability to joke and be in the moment.

From the aspect of actual differences in my playing, I have hundreds of tapes that I cannot distinguish the quality of my playing overall, when i am happy, in the groove and flying, or uptight. Its pretty consistent(ly the same...LOL) But I can tell you, the rapport with an audience changes.

It's not an either or thing, its just another way of connecting with the audience.

Loudloar
Jun-27-2014, 3:30pm
Keep in mind that musicians in the band of a Country star are obliged to be multi-instrumentalists for the sake of certain songs. The guy mentioned in the original post probably was a guitar player with very limited experience on the mandolin, and he was doing his best. I have a friend who is the fiddle player for a major Nashville artist and has had to take up the mandolin to play on an occasional song. She does a credible job but is not a mandolin virtuoso. It's common to see a country band with some poor guitar player trying to play the banjo with a flat pick, or using finger picks but at the most able to play a slow forward roll. No criticism intended, just trying to put it in context.

Steve

Polecat
Jun-27-2014, 3:46pm
I understand that for some people, it's "just about the music," and the audience is irrelevant. But the thing is, if you're doing it in public, it's a performance.

A very good point, and performance (like music itself) is all about communication. I have seen performers who appeared totally self-absorbed but transmitted a fantastic sense of what the music meant (please don't ask me to define what I mean by "meant") to the audience (well, me at least). Equally I have seen live acts that were very visual but left the audience totally cold. And vice versa.
To a certain extent, one can learn to communicate with the audience (I was given the advice at a young age to practice in front of a mirror, and I still regularly follow that advice; I know musicians who have taken acting or dance lessons for the sake of their performance skills), but equally, good performance is a talent that some seem to be born with, just like the ability to play very well. I tend to analyze what's going on on stage when I go to a live concert, it's one of the drawbacks of performing oneself, both in terms of what the musicians are playing and how they are presenting themselves, but if the artist is great, no amount of rational understanding the process of performance will stop them affecting me emotionally. That is what I prize in great live music, and what I personally aim for. I read somewhere that Linda Ronstadt said that to grow artistically you have to "refine your skills to support your instincts", which I think is very wise, because it recognizes that if you don't have the instincts, no amount of honing your skills will ever turn you into a great performer.

Ellen T
Jun-27-2014, 4:39pm
Many many years ago I saw a film of a live concert of Frank Sinatra in Brazil. Now, I had of course seen him a lot in movies and on television, and although I enjoyed his singing, I never really "got" him otherwise. It all changed when I saw that concert; I have NEVER seen anyone connect with an audience the way he did, especially considering the language difference (I think he did a few spoken memorized phrases in Portuguese). It looked like he was singing personally, directly to every person in that audience, without leaving the stage, and you could tell they felt that. I have seen many performers connect with the whole audience, but that's the only time I've seen someone connect with all the individuals in the audience, a subtle but magical difference.