PDA

View Full Version : Describing Neck sizes

sgrexa
Jun-24-2014, 9:37am
I prefer a 1 1/8" nut with a profile that is a little more rounded and only slightly "fatter" than a typical "Loar" F5 type profile. I think a slightly larger "soft v" would be the best way to describe it but it is difficult to put into words. Does this description make sense? It would be nice if there was some type of standardized profiles, similar to what is used to describe Fender guitars (C shape, fat V, etc..) at least put you in the ballpark. Maybe there is and I am just not aware?

Sean

sunburst
Jun-24-2014, 10:04am
The best way to describe a neck shape is to have one that you like and say, "like this". In the case of a builder, he/she can make templates from that neck and duplicate it (or at least come very close). Usually, though, with most people who know what shape they like, it's not too hard to communicate it to a builder. Communicating it to people who don't build can be different. For example, someone selling an instrument trying to communicate to a buyer on line. One person's "soft V" can be another's "modified C" or whatever.
BTW, your description: "I prefer a 1 1/8" nut with a profile that is a little more rounded and only slightly "fatter" than a typical "Loar" F5 type profile. I think a slightly larger "soft v" would be the best way to describe it..." makes sense to me, having made templates from Loar necks and having built a few mandolin necks, but for those unfamiliar with the shape of a Loar neck it might be more ambiguous.

Jim Garber
Jun-24-2014, 10:19am
I would imagine that it would be much easier to actually meet the builder in person and show him or her what you want (as John notes above). A friend of mine recently had one of the top-echelon of builders (read both most expensive and most respected) visiting in her area and he spent a good deal of time getting measurements and specs of her favorite neck profiles. She took delivery a few months ago and the mandolin is quite perfect for her.