PDA

View Full Version : Tablature

Cushingman
Jun-22-2014, 10:58pm
Am I the only one that finds it hard to read mandolin tabs when they show all 8 strings? Wouldn't showing 4 strings be easier to read? What am I missing here?

Cushingman
Jun-22-2014, 11:02pm
Need to say that I'm trying to read them off my phone

EdHanrahan
Jun-22-2014, 11:22pm
All 8 strings? Haven't seen that, ever. Where did you find it, I mean, where did your phone find it? Can't wait to see some 12-string guitar tab!

Cushingman
Jun-22-2014, 11:38pm
All the ones I've looked at on the mandolin cafe tabs show 8 strings. At least that's what in seeing

Mike Bunting
Jun-22-2014, 11:46pm
All the ones I've looked at on the mandolin cafe tabs show 8 strings. At least that's what in seeing
I only see four "strings".

PaulBills
Jun-23-2014, 12:09am
definitely seems to be an issue with your phone, only showing 4 for me too

Josh Levine
Jun-23-2014, 12:16am
Have you been drinking?

Jim
Jun-23-2014, 12:39am
Just 4 strings show on my computer.

Franc Homier Lieu
Jun-23-2014, 4:47am
Just tried it on my phone. Everything looks fine when I hold it sideways, but when I hold the phone upright it reformats and collapses two lines of tab into one big eight string jumble. The result is not just hard to read but surely unplayable.

Tried it on my iPad and something similar happened. Though not as bad, there are sections where two separate measures of tab are collapsed into one big eight string mess, but only when the iPad is held upright.

JeffJones
Jun-23-2014, 4:58am
Maybe your phone screen is not wide enough to show the full length of the line and is wrapping each line. So that each line is showing up as two lines. Maybe?

If so, that would be very confusing as it would be showing the first half and the second half of each line as happening simultaneously. Even if you were able to read it and play it somehow, it would sound all wrong.

Cushingman
Jun-23-2014, 7:31am
Thank you Franc. No, I haven't been drinking and I'm not crazy.

Just tried it on my phone. Everything looks fine when I hold it sideways, but when I hold the phone upright it reformats and collapses two lines of tab into one big eight string jumble. The result is not just hard to read but surely unplayable.

Tried it on my iPad and something similar happened. Though not as bad, there are sections where two separate measures of tab are collapsed into one big eight string mess, but only when the iPad is held upright.