PDA

View Full Version : New Ellis F5 Ordered

red7flag
Jun-19-2014, 4:29pm
I just sent the deposit for a new Ellis F5 after a really nice phone conversation with Tom. Tom will pick out the tone wood. May well go with a big leaf, but that decision will depend on what he the best available. Not being a grasser, we are leaning toward softer maples. We are going with the more contrast in the burst, yellow, orange/red, and brown/black. The headstock graphic is a Tom original. I am very excited. For those that don't know him, Tom is a great guy, great person to work with and a pleasure to spend time with.

Bigtuna
Jun-19-2014, 4:47pm
You can't go wrong with an Ellis. Mine just keeps getting better and better and it's just 4 years old. Go with the EVO wire if it's being made to order. When it's time to re-fret mine it's going back to Tom for the EVO wire and a set up and that's it. I wouldn't change a thing other than that. Mines is big leaf maple by the way and it does all genres well. You will love it!

yankees1
Jun-19-2014, 4:58pm
I have a F5 ordered to be completed in October. I have met Tom at his shop and he is a very nice gentleman and a great bird photographer ! :)

Denny Gies
Jun-19-2014, 4:59pm
Now if you can onlyl wait until it comes you will be great. Way to go. I did the same kind on thing back in '93 and had Randy Wood make me an F 5; not one moment of disappointment.

StevieBGoode
Jun-19-2014, 6:25pm
I just sent the deposit for a new Ellis F5 after a really nice phone conversation with Tom. Tom will pick out the tone wood. May well go with a big leaf, but that decision will depend on what he the best available. Not being a grasser, we are leaning toward softer maples. We are going with the more contrast in the burst, yellow, orange/red, and brown/black. The headstock graphic is a Tom original. I am very excited. For those that don't know him, Tom is a great guy, great person to work with and a pleasure to spend time with.

Since I live in Austin, I'll be happy to test drive it for you.....:grin:

-- Steve

trevor
Jun-20-2014, 2:23am
"You can't go wrong with an Ellis." Agreed, mandolins don't get any better.

tburcham
Jun-20-2014, 7:04am
Congrats red7flag! Mr. Ellis is one of the elite builders of the modern era.

Capt. E
Jun-20-2014, 9:09am
Congrats red7flag! Mr. Ellis is one of the elite builders of the modern era.

Indeed, he is a really nice guy. I need to drop by his shop and say hello, been a while (I live only 2 miles away). Missed his annual birthday party/jam. I only wish I had the money to buy one of his exquisite instruments.

Tobin
Jun-20-2014, 9:35am
Congrats, Tony! I must agree with the others: you can't go wrong with an Ellis. As I recall, you had owned one previously, so you know that already. I'm glad you decided to come back to the fold. I'm excited for you!

Timbofood
Jun-20-2014, 10:00pm
Now, let's see, what really good luthiers are NOT nice folk? Without exception every one of them I have met have been kind, generous, sharing ideas, opinions, and as much information as can anyone could hope for. Sorry to say I have not met Mr. Ellis but, I relish meeting anyone who has the talent to take all the un necessary wood away from a tree that holds a mandolin inside!
Good folks make good instruments and good friends for life.

Bradley
Jun-21-2014, 10:27am
Ellis mandolins are great instruments. I let one go 3 years ago and it was always the "one that got away". I was lucky enough to just get a new one and it's a gem. I love Toms new flowerpot inlay with the touch of a fern and almost wish I would have ordered one like that but patience isn't a trait that I have.

StevieBGoode
Jun-21-2014, 11:22am
I had my first mandolin lesson yesterday. My teacher was playing his Ellis. It sounded magical.

-- Steve

DataNick
Jun-21-2014, 11:38am
Tony,

Didn't you already have a one piece back Ellis F5 that we were trying to talk you out of selling just a few months ago?

If so, I knew it...LOL!

yankees1
Jun-21-2014, 12:52pm
His mandolins should be rated in the top five of builders .

Jim Roberts
Jun-21-2014, 2:29pm
Besides getting a great mandolin, you'll also get to know Tom which is really special. Cream if the crop in all aspects.

Billgrass
Jun-21-2014, 4:30pm
I am another lucky Ellis caretaker. I also have had the good fortune to visit with him, Cathy, Pava and the rest his team. I am so glad that Tom had the smarts to build such a successful business in Precision Perl so that his F5s are within reach of those of us not talented enough to have a number one single, and not so obsessed with making bank that we don't have time to play!

Patrick Sylvest
Jun-21-2014, 5:48pm
I adore my Ellis A. Exquisite!

doc holiday
Jun-21-2014, 7:39pm
Great news. We could use a little breath of life into the Ellis Mandolins social group ;-)

almeriastrings
Jun-21-2014, 10:59pm
Do post pics when you finally get your hands on it... I'm sure it will be incredible.

They are the kind of mandolin that inspired the phrase "picking and grinning" because that's the effect they have when you hear yourself playing one. Impeccable wood selection and build quality too. As good as it gets.

red7flag
Jun-22-2014, 10:16am
I have ordered the "Bella" headstock graphic, which is hard to describe, but not a fern or pot graphic. This is a Tom design.
I want to share an experience I had a local coffee house. Before playing, I had the chance to compare my friends X braced Gilchrist and the Ellis I owned then. I played the same tunes in the same way. The Gil, up to that moment was my favorite mandolin. It has an absolutely pure clean sound. The Ellis has more overtones, richer and fuller. Both are exquisite. I found that I gravitated more to the Ellis sound. Had I been in the position to choose only one, at that moment, I would have chosen the Ellis. Not that one was better than the other, just that the Ellis tone speaks more directly to me.
I had another moment when I picked up one of Tom's A5s and realize that it had that same tone as mine. Since that time, I have heard that sound in every Ellis I have heard. Each slightly different, but all with that distinctive sound. DataNick was right.

pheffernan
Jun-22-2014, 10:19am
I had another moment when I picked up one of Tom's A5s and realize that it had that same tone as mine. Since that time, I have heard that sound in every Ellis I have heard. Each slightly different, but all with that distinctive sound.

Have you played a Pava yet? I'd be curious to learn whether you heard that same distinctive sound in one.

red7flag
Jun-22-2014, 10:23am
pheff, I have not had the pleasure of trying the Pavas yet. I have heard nothing but positive from the folks here about them, however. I am looking forward to trying them out.

lenf12
Jun-22-2014, 10:25am
......Missed his annual birthday party/jam......

On June 11th iirc, same as mine. Happy belated birthday Tom!!! My fantasy is to take delivery in-person of an Ellis mandolin at his birthday bash in Austin. That would be sweeeet!!!

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

trevor
Jun-22-2014, 10:26am
Here's the four std inlays.

Top: Torch and wood (that's what Tom calls it); Bella.

Bottom: Flern; Fern.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/trevor_moyle/pegheadinlays_zps333fe4b2.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/trevor_moyle/media/pegheadinlays_zps333fe4b2.jpg.html)

pheffernan
Jun-22-2014, 10:27am
Tony, I have not had the pleasure of trying an Ellis yet. I have heard nothing but positive from the folks here about them, however. I am looking forward to trying them out. :))

doc holiday
Jun-22-2014, 11:06am
Have you played a Pava yet? I'd be curious to learn whether you heard that same distinctive sound in one. A guitar playing lefty friend of mine was looking for a mandolin so I put him in touch with Tom & Pava. I've had a chance to play his new one alongside my Ellis A special. The Pava has the same essential Ellis tone with the usual varnish/laquer...broken in/new differences. The family tonal resemblance makes the Pava one fine instrument with excellent design & workmanship at a modest price.

pheffernan
Jun-22-2014, 3:06pm
The Pava has the same essential Ellis tone with the usual varnish/laquer...broken in/new differences.

There is something to be said for broken in/new differences. Perhaps it's because my Pava is little over a year old, and doesn't have a whole lot of play time logged on its red spruce top, but never in my limited experience of mandolins or longer experience of guitars have I encountered an instrument that seems to wake up more after thirty or so minutes of vigorous playing.

sgrexa
Jun-23-2014, 1:40pm
Here's the four std inlays.

If those are "standard", I would go with that torch and wire as it is just beautiful! I have to believe there is an upcharge but maybe not?

Sean
(Hoping to play an Ellis one of these days!)

doc holiday
Jun-23-2014, 4:22pm
The classic torch & wire is a real beauty. I'm sure it's not at standard price since there is one heck of a lot of work involved. Tom did a terrific job on his first double flowerpot for my A special. He is a great guy and a great builder for sure.

yankees1
Jun-23-2014, 8:46pm
If those are "standard", I would go with that torch and wire as it is just beautiful! I have to believe there is an upcharge but maybe not?

Sean
(Hoping to play an Ellis one of these days!) Up charge for the Torch and Wire is between three and four hundred dollars according to Cathy at Ellis. I have an order in for the Bella but not sure if I want to spend the extra for the Torch and Wire.

mritter
Jun-23-2014, 9:53pm
Congrats, Tony. I know you'll be pleased with the mandolin.

I have three of his, two F5's and an A. You could say I'm sold on Ellis.

yankees1
Jun-24-2014, 7:00am
With the torch and wire there is evidently no space available to place the Ellis logo on the head stock. I assume that the tailpiece cover would be the only place for this logo.

doc holiday
Jun-24-2014, 8:09am
A torch & wire Ellis would be a great mandolin to showcase a Weldon Lister engraved tailpiece....;-)

trevor
Jun-24-2014, 11:35am
Here's a Torch and Wood (not wire) that I had through for a customer recently with engraved tailpiece.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/trevor_moyle/t_zpsc4e86c7e.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/trevor_moyle/media/t_zpsc4e86c7e.jpg.html)

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/trevor_moyle/tf_zps0aa4add0.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/trevor_moyle/media/tf_zps0aa4add0.jpg.html)

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/trevor_moyle/th_zpsed57e639.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/trevor_moyle/media/th_zpsed57e639.jpg.html)

desertnight
Jun-25-2014, 9:22am
The Ellis mandolins are without a doubt astounding! I have owned an F-5 now (#113) for 6 years and I'm continuously amazed by it's tone and growth. I recently acquired a Pava A-5 on my way to teach at Kamp Kaufman and have the same impressions.

Everything that comes of the bench at Tom's shop is flawless in both tone and workmanship. Or should I also say workwomanship for Pava! The Ellis team is hard to beat.

I'm looking forward to breaking in my Pava. The Adirondack red spruce top and lacquer finish produce and warm tone with a fast attack. My problem will be which one to use at the gig!

lonestar_shawn
Jun-25-2014, 10:10pm
Wow, Steve Smith! I was just talking with a friend about you and your Ellis mandolin the other day and had to re-read this article. This gives some serious Ellis lust!

http://archive.mandolinsessions.com/apr08/Smith.pdf

trevor
Jun-26-2014, 2:21am
Hi Steve, I remember seeing you in Denver, must have been over 15 years ago. Your CD 'Other places and lives' is still one of my favourites.

nickster60
Jun-26-2014, 7:44am
I have loved every Ellis I have played they are great mandolins. I am also very fond of the Pavas, great instuments coming out of Texas

Timbofood
Jun-26-2014, 10:32am
I like the Ellis take on the "Torch and Wire" design. There is an elegance in that work which is just so.....pleasant, once again,nice work Tom!

yankees1
Jun-26-2014, 4:26pm
I like the torch and wire but I think it may be a little gaudy for me and will stick to the Bella pattern that Tom uses. Besides I like to see the Ellis logo on the head stock.

darylcrisp
Jun-26-2014, 7:35pm
Wow, Steve Smith! I was just talking with a friend about you and your Ellis mandolin the other day and had to re-read this article. This gives some serious Ellis lust!

http://archive.mandolinsessions.com/apr08/Smith.pdf

thanks for posting the link above-great read

Tobin
Jun-27-2014, 6:53pm
I like the torch and wire but I think it may be a little gaudy for me and will stick to the Bella pattern that Tom uses. Besides I like to see the Ellis logo on the head stock.
Good choice. I like to see the Ellis name up there too.

I'm glad Steve Smith weighed in on this. If anybody could speak as an industry spokesman for Ellis, it would be him. He uses a Loar-signed Gibson as a backup to his Ellis, if that tells you anything! I had the privilege of taking some lessons from him about 6 months ago, and his Ellis is "all that and a bag of chips", especially in his hands. Matter of fact, the photo of the three Ellis mandolins in front of a tree on the Ellis homepage is mine and Steve's with another guy's A model.

Steve, I'm glad you decided to go for a Pava too! I agree on the tone and response. One simply can't go wrong with anything coming out of Tom's shop.

red7flag
Jul-08-2014, 8:20am
My RSDMM was close to Loar sounding. My friends, especially those from the bluegrass community, stated is is the best instrument that I have had. Great instrument, no doubt. Plays like butter. Has that deep bark chop. Cuts through a heavy jam with no problem. So why am I selling it? I have had more than one of those friends ask me. The Ellis tone just speaks to me. After putting the Ellis up for sale, I just missed playing it. The missing grew until the point where I decided for sure I wanted it back, but woe is me, it was sold. So Tom is going to make this one for me. The big decision is whether to go with the Fern or Bella headstock. My sold one had the Bella. I could go either way. Thanks to Trevor for posting those Ellis headstock pictures. I have some time before I make the decision. I will be recording the current CD with the Hester.