PDA

View Full Version : Buying first Mandolin

Lawrence J
Jun-16-2014, 7:09pm
Hello fellow musicians. I have narrowed my mando search down to a Breedlove premier A series OF. Can anybody out there give me their thoughts, esp. an owner, and what about the neck thickness is this an issue or just personal preference.

CSIMelissa
Jun-16-2014, 8:18pm
I do not have the model Breedlove that you have referenced but I recently put a Premier F series on layaway and it is perfect. Wonderful sound and construction. It was very comfortable to play and the volume and intonation were amazing. I'm sure there are owners of the model you are interested in who can comment more but I don't think you'll be disappointed with your Breedlove.

Lawrence J
Jun-16-2014, 10:47pm
Thank you for your comments.

bart mcneil
Jun-17-2014, 9:42am
In my opinion it is a personal preference and not related to playing unless someone has unusually small hands but even small children play mandolins, as well as very large adults,,,, On my first buy I was afraid the narrow fret board on a mando would be a drawback but the salesperson at Mandolin Brothers was much bigger overall then me and demonstrated that even large hands and fingers were no detriment to good playing. I would say that any mandolin sold today takes some getting used to. But that is normal for just about any instrument. You have selected a very nice mando.

sgrexa
Jun-17-2014, 9:46am
The neck profile on all the Breedloves I have played have seemed "chunkier" than most, but they all sounded and played great. Good choice, enjoy!

Sean

JeffD
Jun-17-2014, 10:24am
I think neck width is more of an issue with folks who come to the mandolin with tons of guitar experience. Its the transition from what one is accustomed to.

Get what is comfortable and enjoy.