PDA

View Full Version : Changes at Gibson

futrconslr
Mar-13-2005, 4:39pm
Heard rumors a month or so ago....but, a sales guy at Gibson, Shopryland told me that Derrington is no longer in charge of production. He also said that there will be no more Derrington signed MM. Anyone else heard this?

Joel

Scotti Adams
Mar-13-2005, 6:23pm
yep..

Tom C
Mar-13-2005, 6:30pm
If that's true that stinks for us mando-ists since he was readily available to answer all questions and back up their product. But if it was his decision or a better position all the best.

Rich Michaud
Mar-13-2005, 6:33pm
I heard the same thing last fall "between you and me" in connection with pitching a distressed master model. I do not understand Gibson's marketing strategy. Mr. Derrington has both name recognition and credibility. Why the switch? Perhaps for reasons we will never know. or simply because he wanted a change. Good luck to him and his new responsibilies. I guess I am glad that my Master Model was signed by him. Rich M.

futrconslr
Mar-13-2005, 6:40pm
Derrington has really done alot for Gibson. Its hard to imagine any reason for Gibson to pull him off production...but if he is happy thats what matters in the long run. Now the next question is who is going to be heading up production now?

Gibsonman
Mar-13-2005, 6:43pm
Sorry to hear that. Does that mean his signed MM will become more valued?

mandoman4807
Mar-13-2005, 7:45pm
[quote=Rich Michaud,Mar. 13 2005, 18:33]I guess I am glad that my Master Model was signed by him. #Rich M.[/quot

I`m with you bro http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Darrell

Charlie Derrington
Mar-13-2005, 8:01pm
Don't let the rumor mill drag you in.

I'm still at Gibson and happy. I was offered another position (which is only natural) and accepted. The new GM (Tom Montgomery) is an old friend of mine and a great guy, to boot. Danny Roberts is still over mando production and I check in every few days to put in my "two cents". The instruments will remain at the same high level of quality and we're even working on some new things that will make everyone happy.

I'm still around. Anyway, even if I weren't, Gibson was a force in the industry long before I came along, and would continue along just fine if I got hit by a truck tomorrow. Danny is one of the best mando players on the planet and has had things directly in his hands for a couple of years.

I'll still be here to answer any questions any of you may have.

Charlie

Yellowmandolin
Mar-13-2005, 8:14pm
Can you say where you are going, or is it too early and hush hush...? I am sorry to see you go though. I love my 2003 F5G. Good luck!

Charlie Derrington
Mar-13-2005, 8:20pm
I'm going about 5 miles down the road. I'll be starting another project that's important for the company. It's a little early to offer any details, but needless to say, I'll still be involved with the mandolins. Heck, regardless of where I go, I'll always be involved with the mandolins. It's who I am. I think you all know that.....

Charlie

futrconslr
Mar-13-2005, 9:04pm
I always compared Gibson to Harley Davidson as examples of how american companies with perceived quality issues were able to turn their fortunes around. Imho Charlie Derrington was the drivng force behind this turn around for Gibson. Good Luck Charlie and congratulations on the new position.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Mar-13-2005, 10:27pm
I'm proud to have a Danny Roberts signed Fern. Still waiting on my Master Model kit, Charlie.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

OK, I'm kidding. There's no way I'd attempt building a mandolin, even from a kit. I can barely play 'em, let alone assemble one!

jim_n_virginia
Mar-13-2005, 11:49pm
Glad to hear that you will be sticking around the Cafe and mandolins in general Charlie.

Though I am still working my way up the mandolin foodchain, my goal is still to one day get a Derrington signed Master Model....

krishna
Mar-14-2005, 5:10am
Theres nothing that will quench a rumor faster than the guy the rumor is about, sticking his nose into it. Congrats on the new post Charlie. . I'm sure I speak for many people here in saying how excellent it is to have you here at the site....Kerry

futrconslr
Mar-14-2005, 7:02pm
I feel like I need to defend my honor a little bit here. I heard rumors back in late jan. early feb that the times they were achanging. Yesterday, while listening to a sales guy try to talk me into spending 20 odd K on a mastermodel (that smells as good as it sounds by the way<G>) I was told that there would be no more signed MM by Charlie. Since I was told as part of a sales pitch, I assumed it was no big secret. Ergo, I posted EXACTLY what I was told....that being No longer in charge of production and no more Derrington signed MM. I guess I figured if the info was good enough to sell me a product it was good enough to ask about on here....I also wanted to confirm that there would be no more Derrington signed MM. So before you call me the rumor monger, I thought it would be best to know the context.

Thanks for your time

J. Mark Lane
Mar-14-2005, 8:50pm
Joel, you were certainly well within the bounds of propriety and good taste (hey, they don't call me Mr. Manners fer nuthin). Charlie Derrington is a big boy. He can take care of himself, and he did. Nuthin' wrong with that, as far as I see.

As for Charlie, I'm a big fan of his. My dream is to own a Derrington MM. This makes that dream a little more challenging perhaps. But mostly, I hope Charlie is happy in his new position with the company...and he says he is, so that ends it for me.

Best of everything in your new pursuits, Mr. D.

Mark

futrconslr
Mar-14-2005, 9:18pm
Yeah Mark, I too want a MM one day...there I said it....and I want it signed by Charlie. As far as I am concerned he turned Gibson around. Maybe he should call himself Lloyd Derrington. <G>

OlderThanWillie
Mar-14-2005, 10:35pm
How many Derrington MM's are in existence? Has anyone begun a book listing them and their features? How about sending in some photos?

Somebody (not me) should get on this right away while all the original owners are still alive! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nick Triesch
Mar-14-2005, 10:50pm
You just wait. 100 years from now Derrington MM's will be worth $800,000. Or a lot more. They could end up being the new Loar. And that's very cool! You should be very proud of yourself Charlie. A few years ago there were very few good mandolins on the market. Most were flatirons and Gibsons. (10-12 years ago) You turned the whole mandolin world on it's end in a few short years. You made Gibson come back to the good old days. Nick