PDA

View Full Version : Denver DMFS-VS??

smokey08
Jun-11-2014, 1:05pm
What do you guys think of this Denver f-style , basswood mandolin??? a little more than a beginner model would you say?? i don't want to spend a mint-i have a Johnson MF-100 right now and i think it's a pretty good beginner instrument-so what are your thoughts on this one??

pheffernan
Jun-11-2014, 2:22pm
a little more than a beginner model would you say??

I would not say. It looks like similar construction to the Johnson you already own. While you may not want to spend a mint, and need not, I'd at least advise you to save up for a solid wood instrument from a more highly regarded brand such as Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar, or JBovier.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-11-2014, 2:53pm
I second the post above. Stick with those makers and you will likely get a real instrument. Asian instruments have been available for a song for a long time. The makers above have taken the low cost Asian production model but produce playable instruments instead of toys and future wall hangers. IMHO

roysboy
Jun-12-2014, 12:26am
hmmmm...explore other options . I have a friend with a Denver acoustic guitar and its the s---ts.

Marc Ferry
Jun-13-2014, 6:43am
A couple recommendations:

Go with A-style when looking for a beginner or step above beginner mandolin. The decorations on the F-style cost a lot, which means you'll get much better sound quality for your money with an A-style.
I personally would suggest a low-end A-style Loar.