PDA

View Full Version : If I like Matt Flinner Trio - "Winter Harvest" I might like?

keithb
Jun-10-2014, 4:04pm
I've really been loving the "Winter Harvest" album by Matt Flinner Trio - what other records should I check out?

brent1308
Jun-10-2014, 6:32pm
Great Album. From the man himself:

http://www.mattflinner.com/2012/07/six-essential-new-acoustic-recordings/

Also might I suggest Darol Anger's new album, E-and'a, with Joe Walsh on mandolin.

flagstaffcharlie
Jun-10-2014, 7:23pm
I saw him play with David Grisman last year in Sedona, AZ. Really beautiful stuff! I'll be watching this thread too. :mandosmiley:

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-11-2014, 8:25am
My Favorite from Matt is "Philips, Grier & Flinner" (One with the orange cover). http://www.amazon.com/Todd-Phillips-David-Grier-Flinner/dp/B00000JWCO

Its a trio with Todd Philips and David Grier and is one of my favorite albums period. All of the playing is awesome, as are the tunes and the recording quality.

I also really like his first album "The View from Here." Very fresh sounding and an album I tend to listen to over and over.

Alison Brown's bluegrass/newgrass album "Fairweather" also has some good playing by Matt-along with Sam Bush and Mike Marshall.

keithb
Jun-11-2014, 12:12pm
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

SincereCorgi
Jun-11-2014, 1:13pm
Matt's trio's 'Music du Jour' is awesome. I actually like it better than 'Winter Harvest' because it's a little more lighthearted. Other stuff you might like are early David Grisman records, and maybe Andy Statman's 'Old Brooklyn'. It kinda depends what you liked.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-11-2014, 3:01pm
If you aren't just talking Flinner's own records then there's lots of great stuff out there in addition to what has already been shared (Matt Flinner's picks from his website are all awesome BTW). Bela Fleck, "The Bluegrass Sessions". Tony Rice "Acoustics" and "Backwaters", The David Grisman Quintet's 20 year retrospective is killer-especially the first CD of the set. John Reischman "Up in the Woods". Any of the Psychograss albums but I especially like "Like Minds".

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-11-2014, 3:06pm
An under appreciated album in the genre is Grant Gordy's self titled solo record from a few years ago. Featuring Dominique Leslie on mando - some scary playing on that album for sure!!! Definitely new-acoustic in nature and all instrumental.