PDA

View Full Version : New Morris Mandolin

Peoriamando
Jun-09-2014, 7:11pm
Hello, I have been a forum reader for sometime so I thought I would start sharing. This is my new Morris A4 mandolin. Red Spruce, Maple, Walnut back and sides, Cocobolo fret board and headstock overlay. My 3rd mandolin. Had an Eastman 315 that I sold, and a Collings MT that I got through a trade but had to sell so my kid could have straight teeth. So when time finally came to get a new mando I really wanted to get one that was made in America preferably by an independent. Overall I am impressed with the mandolin. Fit and finish is good, and the sound is excellent. Warm and rich with plenty of volume. I like to play classical and Celtic and this little mando fits the bill. 120265120266120267120268

bigbendhiker
Jun-09-2014, 8:56pm
Very nice! Enjoy and thanks for posting the pics.

Zissou Intern
Jun-10-2014, 12:13am
Great looking Morris!

I feel your pain in losing the Collings. I sold a killer Newell F5, so my son could get a new French horn. I have two Kentuckies, and it's going to stay that way for a while, as we are now going through the braces thing, with a second one coming up behind...

lflngpicker
Jun-10-2014, 5:27pm
Looks like a very well made instrument with beautiful tone woods. What a great instrument. Congratulations!

Peoriamando
Jun-15-2014, 7:50pm
Wanted to edit and add some info. It is obviously a maple back with walnut sides and neck. After having the mandolin for a while now, I really like the neck. It defiantly needs a fret level and dress. The 18th and 5th fret are both a tad high. I contribute this to the mandolin coming from Oregon to Phoenix; two completely different climates and shipped in very hot weather. The mandolin however, has great tone with incredible trebles and a nice tubby low end with lots of volume. My wife, even commented on the sound stating that she really liked it because it sounded more "Irish". This is coming from the woman that said a Collings was "too shrill". The finish is very thin which I think contributes to the tone. I have already noticed that the finish on the top of the neck is already starting to wear in some spots from just a couple weeks of steady playing (BTW feels good). This was the first mandolin I purchased without playing, and it was from a builder I did not know of. I was a little nervous, but Mr. Morris was great about answering questions regarding building and stated flat out, "if anything is wrong I will make it right". That was enough for me so I pulled the trigger and am very happy that I gave my money to a local luthier. I have attached some pics of the fret prior to getting a set up. I will post some sound clips once I get a decent mic, cell phone just does not do it justice.120573

Ed Goist
Jun-15-2014, 7:59pm
Howard "Sonny" Morris is a great builder and an even better person.
PeoriaMando, congratulations on a great mandolin!

RioDog
Jun-23-2017, 2:18pm
Wanted to edit and add some info. It is obviously a maple back with walnut sides and neck. After having the mandolin for a while now, I really like the neck. It defiantly needs a fret level and dress. The 18th and 5th fret are both a tad high. I contribute this to the mandolin coming from Oregon to Phoenix; two completely different climates and shipped in very hot weather. The mandolin however, has great tone with incredible trebles and a nice tubby low end with lots of volume. My wife, even commented on the sound stating that she really liked it because it sounded more "Irish". This is coming from the woman that said a Collings was "too shrill". The finish is very thin which I think contributes to the tone. I have already noticed that the finish on the top of the neck is already starting to wear in some spots from just a couple weeks of steady playing (BTW feels good). This was the first mandolin I purchased without playing, and it was from a builder I did not know of. I was a little nervous, but Mr. Morris was great about answering questions regarding building and stated flat out, "if anything is wrong I will make it right". That was enough for me so I pulled the trigger and am very happy that I gave my money to a local luthier. I have attached some pics of the fret prior to getting a set up. I will post some sound clips once I get a decent mic, cell phone just does not do it justice.120573
I bought a used Morris F sight unseen on EBay for 750.00 bucks! I was a little nervous about it but what a deal I got. The thing is beautiful with ebony points, heel button and mesquite back and sides. Sounds and plays wonderfully. We record a lot and I'm always pleased with the result. Its one of the best purchases I have ever made and I am now a Morris fanatic. Congrats on your purchase!