PDA

View Full Version : I am in love - Gibson F5-G

CSIMelissa
Jun-05-2014, 11:21am
Just looked at a Gibson F-5G and I am in love. So beautiful. It was hard to leave it in the music store BUT I need to save more. It'll just have to be my treat when my playing advances. (I started teaching myself in November.)

Anyone have one? Thoughts? :mandosmiley:

Stok
Jun-05-2014, 11:24am
You better have put it on layaway. Those sell fast and they're not all that easy to find

DataNick
Jun-05-2014, 11:27am
Go ahead and get it! Enjoy life and the pleasure a really good instrument brings. If it's one of the newer David Harvey era models it should be an extremely good mando! I myself have undergone financial purgatory the last 2.5 weeks, but I'm comin out finally, and my 94' Gibson F5L was worth it. I say go for it, now!

spufman
Jun-05-2014, 11:48am
Your playing will advance more briskly if you're holding an instrument that suits you. Nothing like holding a beautiful looking, feeling, sounding, uh, ... anything really, but instrument in this case. Get it while it's there!

bobby bill
Jun-05-2014, 11:55am
Consider finances but do not consider playing ability.

For that matter, do not consider finances. Just get it. Now.

I'm a Gibson F5-G owner and it is the best sounding instrument I have played.

CSIMelissa
Jun-05-2014, 11:59am
Well, it's just not the best time for me right now. As silly as it sounds I just wanted to look at it since I haven't seen a Gibson mando in person since the early 90s (back when you could get one for $1,200!) to make sure that is what I really, really wanted. This one has been in the store "forever" according to the manager so I'm not worried about it going anywhere.

DataNick
Jun-05-2014, 12:04pm
Well, it's just not the best time for me right now. As silly as it sounds I just wanted to look at it since I haven't seen a Gibson mando in person since the early 90s (back when you could get one for $1,200!) to make sure that is what I really, really wanted. This one has been in the store "forever" according to the manager so I'm not worried about it going anywhere.

If they'll work with you, since it's been there "forever", I'd lock it up on some kind of extended lay-away...

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2014, 12:27pm
I bought mine at Mandolin Brothers several years ago. I played every mandolin on the wall, all different price ranges and kept coming back to the F5G I finally bought.

nickster60
Jun-05-2014, 12:28pm
It is always OK to put a great mandolin on a credit card. It is an unwritten code in the mandolin world.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2014, 12:58pm
I should also note that other mandolins have come and gone but my F5G has remained. I can't imagine replacing it. We're that close.

journeybear
Jun-05-2014, 1:07pm
You are in love, yet you walked away. What if someone scoops it up before you save up enough? :crying: Putting it on layaway and paying for it in installments sounds like the way to go. I'm sure the store will be happy to accommodate you, knowing they will ultimately realize a sizable sale. And you can put your mind at ease, knowing it will be there when you finally do reach the purchase point. A win-win, I say! :mandosmiley:

CSIMelissa
Jun-05-2014, 1:18pm
You are in love, yet you walked away. What if someone scoops it up before you save up enough? :crying: Putting it on layaway and paying for it in installments sounds like the way to go. I'm sure the store will be happy to accommodate you, knowing they will ultimately realize a sizable sale. And you can put your mind at ease, knowing it will be there when you finally do reach the purchase point. A win-win, I say! :mandosmiley:

I prefer layaway over financing and I actually would have done layaway but their terms were only 30 days no matter what I bought. My thought on that is if I could have afforded to pay it off in 30 days why in the world would I have needed layaway to begin with? LOL

I'll be more in a position where I feel comfortable buying later this year. If this one isn't in the stars for me, I know that the mandolin I'm "meant" to have it still out there waiting for me.

I am happy to get some opinions from here about the instrument itself from people who actually have one. Unbiased reviews are the best.

Iron
Jun-05-2014, 1:25pm
Just looked at a Gibson F-5G and I am in love. So beautiful. It was hard to leave it in the music store BUT I need to save more. It'll just have to be my treat when my playing advances. (I started teaching myself in November.)

Anyone have one? Thoughts? :mandosmiley:

Yes I have a thought, what store is it at ?

Michael Bridges
Jun-05-2014, 1:27pm
No such thing as "unbiased" around here! Unjudgemental, maybe. LOL

journeybear
Jun-05-2014, 1:52pm
I get it. Well, I hope the feeling is mutual, and that it will wait for you. :mandosmiley:

Yes I have a thought, what store is it at ?

Ouch! :))

Michael Weaver
Jun-05-2014, 2:24pm
I'm going against the grain on this one. Save up your money and you won't feel that lump in your stomach when you shell out money you shouldn't be spending. There are a lot of mandos out there if that one is gone when you are ready.

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 2:37pm
:grin:I think someone should loan her the money:))

HarrisonMandolin
Jun-05-2014, 2:42pm
I am a proud owner of an F5-G from 2004. Found it in a music shop last summer in St. Paul, MN. Like many people have said before, I really love this instrument. At the time I bought it, it sounded very sleepy but has opened up considerably and I love the ring and presence of its tone; however, Michael does bring up a good point. If you can spare the money in the future and it's still in the shop, then it is meant to be. I also agree with an earlier post…if it's been in the shop for a while, see if you can get a discount. (As my mother always says, it doesn't hurt to ask... and she's always right ;) )

Ron Cox
Jun-05-2014, 3:01pm
When I put mine on Layaway, the owner "worked" with me. Your place may let you put it on hold or layaway a bit longer if you ask for it. A purchase like that could be a great motivator to really scrambling to get some serious money together fast. I put every bit of "junk" that I had laying around on Ebay, really shook the trees in my Photography business and scrambled for every bit of extra cash I could lay my hands on (without taking any money from my family's budget). It took my just under 90 days.

Pack lunch, bring a water bottle, or travel mug, maybe skip some of the little extra's. It will really add up pretty fast. I don't know what a 5G is running or what your finances are like, but if the prize is great enough, the work won't feel like work.

I am also self taught, but never got serious about my playing (had a pretty cheap mandolin but always wanted an oval holed F style). Started getting serious last October, saw my 814 and even though money was tight (really tight) I took the plunge. I don't regret it for a second.

I personally hope you can pull it off. F5G is a really special instrument. The mandolin that I wish I hadn't passed on was a Kentucky Oval-Hole F Style. Never saw another again (except for pictures). Since I got my 814, I've seen exactly two others, one just like mine and a sunburst. Not that that makes a difference, just how few of them there are. Kind of like the 5G

Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

CSIMelissa
Jun-05-2014, 3:36pm
I'm going against the grain on this one. Save up your money and you won't feel that lump in your stomach when you shell out money you shouldn't be spending. There are a lot of mandos out there if that one is gone when you are ready.

Agreed! At least now I know this is what I want for sure. :mandosmiley:

Ryk Loske
Jun-05-2014, 5:46pm
Reading your posts .. this is the first time in a long time you've had a Gibson mandolin in your hands. So now the question is ... do you like Gibson F5-Gs in general ... or did this mandolin call you from the wall? I was in a guitar store to pick up strings and stuff when a '52 Reissue Tele called me from the wall. I had no interest .. wasn't looking .. wasn't even thinking about an electric guitar ... but that butterscotch beauty had me at "Ryk . up here."

If your down the road destination is a F5-G .. you know where you're headed ... just don't know when you'll get there. If it's this one that's called you and it slips away your destination is heartbreak.

Good luck!

Ryk

F-2 Dave
Jun-05-2014, 6:17pm
"I know you want it, but you're a good girl" - Robin Thicke

I'm sorry.

CSIMelissa
Jun-05-2014, 6:36pm
Reading your posts .. this is the first time in a long time you've had a Gibson mandolin in your hands. So now the question is ... do you like Gibson F5-Gs in general ... or did this mandolin call you from the wall? I was in a guitar store to pick up strings and stuff when a '52 Reissue Tele called me from the wall. I had no interest .. wasn't looking .. wasn't even thinking about an electric guitar ... but that butterscotch beauty had me at "Ryk . up here."

If your down the road destination is a F5-G .. you know where you're headed ... just don't know when you'll get there. If it's this one that's called you and it slips away your destination is heartbreak.

Good luck!

Ryk

Hi Ryk! Long story short, I've been wanting to learn the mandolin for 20+ years and after my mother was diagnosed with cancer last fall I decided to quit putting it off and learn. Anyway, to start I just got a nice quality Kentucky A-style but for 20+ years I've had my heart set on an F-Style Gibson. The F5-G is in the price range of what I want. If the one I looked at today still isn't there at the end of the year when I'm ready to buy then it wasn't meant for me. Things happen for reasons! LOL:mandosmiley:

Ryk Loske
Jun-05-2014, 9:12pm
Hi Ryk! Long story short, I've been wanting to learn the mandolin for 20+ years and after my mother was diagnosed with cancer last fall I decided to quit putting it off and learn. Anyway, to start I just got a nice quality Kentucky A-style but for 20+ years I've had my heart set on an F-Style Gibson. The F5-G is in the price range of what I want. If the one I looked at today still isn't there at the end of the year when I'm ready to buy then it wasn't meant for me. Things happen for reasons! LOL:mandosmiley:

There's another thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?106677-Gibson-*enter-mandolinist-here*-model-opinions where folks with experience and knowledge discuss various Gibson Fs. My reading of that discussion speaks to the wisdom of the instrument you've focused on.

You go girl! Have fun!

Ryk

nickster60
Jun-05-2014, 9:59pm
Melissa
I have used this old trick for many years. First you said it has been there for a long time. The owner of the shop(providing it isn't a chain) would also like to see it go. He may inclined to bargain a bit. Most retail building pay rent on the first of the month. The end of the month is the best time to by an instument. Rent can be substantial and every business man would like to show a good month. I have done this for 40 years they get a little more flexible with big bills on the door step.

journeybear
Jun-05-2014, 10:07pm
Gee - too bad the end of the month just passed. Well, there will be another one in a couple weeks ...

But you have a few months of savings to go before you can seal the deal. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the classified and eBay in the meantime, to see if something else piques your interest. There are lots of options in your price range. You may have your heart set on a new instrument, but there may be a vintage Gibson that could work for you. Keep your eyes, mind, and heart open.

mandotrout777
Jun-06-2014, 1:11am
I have an F-5G and love it. Save your pennies and get it when you're ready. If it's gone by then, just find a Gibson dealer (I recommend The Mandolin Store) and plunk your money down on an order for a new one. I bought both of my new Gibsons "sound unheard", and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another one the same way.

Michael Bridges
Jun-06-2014, 5:13am
Bottom line, Melissa, only YOU can decide when the time is right for YOU to buy. If your comfort zone and finances dictate saving toward that goal, it'll be a huge feeling of accomplishment when you reach your goal and get to pick up your dream mando. No sense adding unneeded stress to what should be a happy thing! I'm in that same boat right now, working toward a particular instrument. When I get there, I'll be ready for it, and I believe it'll sound just a little sweeter! Good luck.

Bertram Henze
Jun-06-2014, 6:39am
What to do with a fit:
1. Sit quietly in a corner and wait for the fit to pass.
2. If it does, you saved money for other fits to come.
3. If it hasn't passed by the time you have the money, you can rely on lasting happiness to come from it and give in.

UsuallyPickin
Jun-06-2014, 7:13am
Gibson indeed makes a lovely mandolin. There are others out there of excellent quality but they all have their tonal and construction differences and personalities. There is much to be said for planning and waiting to obtain a desired object or outcome. If nothing else it shows that you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn to play. And once you get past the physical dexterity and information foundation to play, to play well. A Gibson F5-G is a worthy goal. Of course I am biased.... R/

CSIMelissa
Jun-06-2014, 8:02am
Bottom line, Melissa, only YOU can decide when the time is right for YOU to buy. If your comfort zone and finances dictate saving toward that goal, it'll be a huge feeling of accomplishment when you reach your goal and get to pick up your dream mando. No sense adding unneeded stress to what should be a happy thing! I'm in that same boat right now, working toward a particular instrument. When I get there, I'll be ready for it, and I believe it'll sound just a little sweeter! Good luck.

Exactly! I'm also looking at it as a goal to reward myself when I finish my first lesson book. :-)

Marc Ferry
Jun-06-2014, 8:26am
Anyway, to start I just got a nice quality Kentucky A-style but for 20+ years I've had my heart set on an F-Style Gibson.

Just so you're aware, you do pay a significant amount for the decorations on F-styles. This means that you'll get better sound quality for the same price with an A style, which is why I always go with A style mandos. But if your heart really is set on it, feel free to ignore my advice ;)

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-06-2014, 8:55am

I also second Michael's advice. There's a lot of great mandolins out there, and you will find what you're after when you're ready. Also, I think you owe it to yourself to play a few Gibson mandolins before making a decision, rather than buying the first one you see. Good luck!

OldGus
Jun-06-2014, 9:14am
There is a nice looking sunburst A9 in the classifieds. According to Bernie who owns a Gibson Sam Bush and an A9, the A9 stands up well to the Bush and sounds great. I can attest that they are a great value in that price range as I had one for a while. It had nice depth in the mid range, good tone and good bass, lacking maybe a little in the highs. It had good volume but it wasn't a cannon. If you got one you could probably resell it pretty easily or possibly even trade it in on an F5G if/when that time comes...

Caleb
Jun-06-2014, 9:20am
I also second Michael's advice. There's a lot of great mandolins out there, and you will find what you're after when you're ready. Also, I think you owe it to yourself to play a few Gibson mandolins before making a decision, rather than buying the first one you see. Good luck!I'll third the advice to save up the money. It's a better way than our world of instant gratification where everything's bought on credit. There's nothing else like saving up and then picking out what you really want.

stevedenver
Jun-06-2014, 9:33am
csi:
Totally agree about getting yourself a fine instrument as soon as you are able. It will make your musical life even better, regardless of your level. I bought my 02 fern as a 'starter'. I knew I would stick with it, and having had, long ago, an older gibby that wasn't easy to play, nor rich sounding, I was determined to have an instrument that gave me playability and the sound I loved.

You found the model you want-great!
It wont be the last one. Patience is the first rule in buying instruments imho.

It is better to feel comfortable about the purchase than to lose sleep about it.
I have no problems taking the plunge, but, have also, upon rare occasion over done things in my enthusiasm, only to think about it late at night-and that's no fun. Those credit cards ........easy to use, not always easy to pay off as planned.

The exception to this, as mentioned above, may be getting a deal you cant afford to pass. This sometimes doesn't change the worries. But, if you negotiate hard, sometimes its a good decision.

Ill throw this out , mostly to get others feedback, but I see F5G-Harveys-in the 4k range-maybe 3800. I hope others will correct me if I'm off. Was looking at one about a year ago -quoted 4500, but I think that was only an opener.

If , say, you could get one for under 3500, new, with case , it would seem a very very good deal. This may be unrealistic as I don't know actual dealer cost. But hopefully others will chime in here.

Make sure it is new, not "as new" "mint" etc ie you get the warranty (not that I think they are worth much short of a major disaster in build), as otherwise you can negotiate harder. New is a different level than used, in terms of what you might pay.

I find, when I negotiate, first you need to know what you want, its market value, its condition, and be firm about buying or walking. Knowledge, resolve and confidence are very helpful in communicating your position. There are subtle signs that you give off when you have your sights set and mind clear. Being willing to walk is also critical.

DataNick
Jun-06-2014, 12:53pm
... I'm in that same boat right now, working toward a particular instrument. When I get there, I'll be ready for it, and I believe it'll sound just a little sweeter! Good luck.

What!

Not satisfied with the JBovier...LOL!

Sounds like you're MAD (Mandolin Acquisition Disorder)...

jaycat
Jun-06-2014, 1:08pm
I prefer layaway over financing and I actually would have done layaway but their terms were only 30 days no matter what I bought. My thought on that is if I could have afforded to pay it off in 30 days why in the world would I have needed layaway to begin with? . . .

It gives you just enough time to stickup a 7-11.

tburcham
Jun-06-2014, 1:17pm
Melissa,

I've owned a pre-flood F5g (2007 or 2008 model) and I presently own an F-9 Custom (looks exactly like an F5g, except it has the abbreviated fingerboard of an F-9). The F-9 Custom is a 2012 model signed by David Harvey. There is really no comparison between this David Harvey F-9 and the F5g I owned previously. The F-9 is far superior in every aspect: sound, tone, and playability. I would recommend you find a post-flood F5g or F-9 by David Harvey. Any consistency issues, mentioned here on the Cafe regarding Gibson mandolins, have been largely eradicated during the David Harvey era!

Congratulations on setting your sights on a Gibson mandolin. Keep practicing and saving your money until you find the mandolin that brings a smile to your face every time you pick it up! That's what you're looking for...no matter what brand it is!

journeybear
Jun-06-2014, 2:06pm
Every time I see this thread's title I think of this song. Don't know why this one in particular - it's a common enough phrase - but there it is, anyway. Maybe someone with the requisite editing skills can change the words to "I'm in love with an F5-G" ...

QIfPIwWn-vg

Bernie Daniel
Jun-07-2014, 11:50am
If they'll work with you, since it's been there "forever", I'd lock it up on some kind of extended lay-away...

Yes something like that for sure if you can

Bernie Daniel
Jun-07-2014, 2:06pm
There is a nice looking sunburst A9 in the classifieds. According to Bernie who owns a Gibson Sam Bush and an A9, the A9 stands up well to the Bush and sounds great. I can attest that they are a great value in that price range as I had one for a while. It had nice depth in the mid range, good tone and good bass, lacking maybe a little in the highs. It had good volume but it wasn't a cannon. If you got one you could probably resell it pretty easily or possibly even trade it in on an F5G if/when that time comes...

I have to admit, IMO, that Gus is right -- the Gibson A-9 pound for pound is the best buy in the mandolin world -- for about $1K you get a mandolin that sounds as good as most any other Gibson F-5 (actually ANY F-5) and you still get your piece of the Gibson tradition i.e., over a century of mandolin heritage that few other makers (an ZERO other f-style makers) can match.

Kind of the same with the Gibson F-9 for about $2K plus or minus.

That said a used F-5G is the top of the heap when it comes to a mandolin that reminds you of Bill's mandolin and still is affordable. And always keep in mind except for the MM and DMM models the A-9, F-9 and F-5G do not take a back seat to any Gibson model A- or F-style.

Good luck!!

Being as you hail from Bill's home state I know that you DO need a Gibson mandolin !! :)

dorenac
Jun-08-2014, 5:22am
A friend, I regularly jam with, has wanted to find a F mandolin made by the same builder as mine. Then one day one of these mandolins came available. Problem was he didn't have all the cash needed. I proposed a "partnership" to buy this mando. He put up what he could initially and I covered the rest. We formed this partnership and arranged to buy the instrument all in a matter of a few hours, as there were two other serious buyers in line behind us. So since then, last February I believe, my friend has been "buying me out" so to speak. Currently I'm only a 10% owner of this mandolin and should be pushed out completely by August. He and I worked out the arrangements, with his wife's approval also, up front and it has worked out very well. I guess you could call this a spin on creative financing, but because we trusted each other's integrity it has turned out to be a win-win solution.

lenf12
Jun-08-2014, 8:21am
Dorenac said "....because we trusted each other's integrity it has turned out to be a win-win solution."

Integrity is the foundation of every worthwhile relationship. You and your friend are very lucky indeed plus you get to check out your investment whenever you jam together. BTW - what kind of mandolin do you co-own??

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

journeybear
Jun-08-2014, 8:36am
I proposed a "partnership" to buy this mando. He put up what he could initially and I covered the rest ... I guess you could call this a spin on creative financing, but because we trusted each other's integrity it has turned out to be a win-win solution.

Beauty! :mandosmiley:

dorenac
Jun-08-2014, 1:33pm
"BTW--what kind of mandolin do you co-own?"

Talking about #24 John Hamlett mandolin. I'm the sole owner of #13 also. We jammed this morning trading mandos back and forth. This particular set up just seemed to be the right thing at the right time. I wouldn't recommend it generally as it could ruin a good friendship in some situations. What's also interesting is my friend lives 7 miles from John and I live about 35 miles away from John.