PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions. Low number VS new

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 7:25am
I'm considering buying a F model from a builder that is not famous, but has a really good rep in his home area. He is in the 200+ builds now. I doubt his builds are collectable now but maybe someday.

My question. Would you choose a lower number used (30s) in player condition or a new one? I will not be able to do and A, B playing comparison

Steve Zawacki
Jun-05-2014, 7:40am
If you are looking at the instrument as an investment gamble only, then the low number has potential. However, it may take a century before maker's fame occurs (if ever). Will you live long enough to benefit from the investment if the gamble pays off?

If you like the maker's product, buying # 209-300 takes advantage of the maker's experience and lessons-learned (there are always some). The odds of getting a better made and/or playing instrument increase with the maker's greater experience.

IMHO and at my age (67), I'd lean to the later build. I don't see any instrument I buy now as future income potential - the "maturing factor" is just too long if it exists at all.

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 7:44am
If you are looking at the instrument as an investment gamble only, then the low number has potential. However, it may take a century before maker's fame occurs (if ever). Will you live long enough to benefit from the investment if the gamble pays off?

If you like the maker's product, buying # 209-300 takes advantage of the maker's experience and lessons-learned (there are always some). The odds of getting a better made and/or playing instrument increase with the maker's greater experience.

IMHO and at my age (67), I'd lean to the later build. I don't see any instrument I buy now as future income potential - the "maturing factor" is just too long if it exists at all.

Great help Steve. I'm right behind you, rapidly closing in on 65. Thanks

Timbofood
Jun-05-2014, 7:58am
I agree with Steve, time is fleeting. Use resources wisely, attain maximum enjoyment as rapidly as possible!

Jim Garber
Jun-05-2014, 8:04am
Buy the newer one. Forget the investment potential and buy it for the playing. If this guy's mandolins become very desirable then his later ones would also be desirable, I would think. I never would buy just to sell and make a killing.

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 8:07am
I agree with Steve, time is fleeting. Use resources wisely, attain maximum enjoyment as rapidly as possible!

Boy is that the truth. Last Saturday night I had a "spell" that scared the snot out of me. I'm Ok, but it's amazing how priorities change when you're laying there wondering if your going to see your loved ones again. I'm taking a road trip to see my son and some friends and buying a mandolin. Lord willing.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Jun-05-2014, 8:27am
So there are a lot of details needed here I think. Are you commissioning a new build or buying a newly made mandolin that is already finished? Is it truly new, IE you are the first owner, or just newish/newer. Are there differences in price? Are there approval periods? Can you get someone to video themselves playing both instruments?

lenf12
Jun-05-2014, 8:32am
+1 to Steve's comments above; "....the maker's experience and lessons-learned (there are always some)." Not sure I would want to buy any of Steve Gilchrist's really low numbered mandolins but he sure has learned a lot over the course of building 600 - 700 mandolins.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 8:40am
So there are a lot of details needed here I think. Are you commissioning a new build or buying a newly made mandolin that is already finished? Is it truly new, IE you are the first owner, or just newish/newer. Are there differences in price? Are there approval periods? Can you get someone to video themselves playing both instruments?

It is a new one from his stock of two. I will be buying it from the builder in person.

I have pretty much made my decision to buy the new one as long as it fits my hands, plays well , and sounds good

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 8:44am
Buy the newer one. Forget the investment potential and buy it for the playing. If this guy's mandolins become very desirable then his later ones would also be desirable, I would think. I never would buy just to sell and make a killing.

I don't usually think about investment. I just buy used to save money. Thanks

Austin Bob
Jun-05-2014, 10:55am
It is a new one from his stock of two. I will be buying it from the builder in person.

I have pretty much made my decision to buy the new one as long as it fits my hands, plays well , and sounds good

That's probably what I would do, my reasoning being that the builder would most likely improve through experience. Buying new should give you peace of mind knowing that he will take care of you in the future if it needs adjustments or work.

Stok
Jun-05-2014, 11:02am
Can you play them both and pick the one you like?

That's what I'd do, I'd buy the better one, regardless of serial number

Willie Poole
Jun-05-2014, 11:26am
While some builders do get better the more they build but also some start giving building lessons and have the students do a lot of the work and then he approves it and he just might miss something during his final inspection, not mentioning any names but I know a builder that does this and in my opinion his mandolins aren`t as good as they were when he did all of the work himself, a good builder will want to get things right when he starts so he can get his "good name" out there with the rest of the good builders, the fit and finish might not be as good as his latest builds though... just something to think about and check out...If it plays good and sounds like what you want then buy it no matter if it is an oldie or a newbie....

Just my 2 cents....Willie

Lou Giordano
Jun-05-2014, 1:57pm
Can you play them both and pick the one you like?

That's what I'd do, I'd buy the better one, regardless of serial number

Of course I will

While some builders do get better the more they build but also some start giving building lessons and have the students do a lot of the work and then he approves it and he just might miss something during his final inspection, not mentioning any names but I know a builder that does this and in my opinion his mandolins aren`t as good as they were when he did all of the work himself, a good builder will want to get things right when he starts so he can get his "good name" out there with the rest of the good builders, the fit and finish might not be as good as his latest builds though... just something to think about and check out...If it plays good and sounds like what you want then buy it no matter if it is an oldie or a newbie....

Just my 2 cents....Willie

He works alone. Thanks

SternART
Jun-05-2014, 2:17pm
It might be tough to know which is best if you play them side by side since one is broken in and the other new.
I've found it takes a year of whuppin' on a new mando to tell what you really have.......but that said I'd go
with my gut feeling about the two and pick the one that feels best in my hand as well as evaluating the tone & volumn.

Mandoplumb
Jun-05-2014, 4:08pm
I respectably disagree that all builders get better as they build more. Maybe he is the exception that proves the rule but I was playing guitar with Johnny Huto when he started building and his were great from the get-go. I really think his first few while he was still putting Gibson on the peg head were the best he made although all I ever saw or played were great mandolins. If memory serves I think Dempsey's was number eleven.

Lou Giordano
Jun-15-2014, 10:53am
Just a quick note to update.

I am half way through my road trip from NJ down through NC and SC. I am headed back up to visit my son in Raleigh, NC.

I had a lot of good visits with friends, including Lewis Price builder of Pricetone Mandolins. He is 79 now an still building them one at a time by himself.

I now own this one. Just a quick pic from my phone.

Paul South
Jun-15-2014, 11:33am
Congrats, that is a nice mandolin. Is that the #0123 from the in stock models on his website? I like the #0124, the inlay on the headstock is unique.

Lou Giordano
Jun-15-2014, 11:50am
Congrats, that is a nice mandolin. Is that the #0123 from the in stock models on his website? I like the #0124, the inlay on the headstock is unique.

Thanks Mervyn

Mine is #214

pheffernan
Jun-15-2014, 1:16pm
Mine is #214

I didn't realize that you had owned a Pricetone previously. How does #214 compare to old #68?

Jim
Jun-15-2014, 1:26pm
Nice Mandolin, Congrats

Timbofood
Jun-15-2014, 2:44pm
Tempus Fugit! Good for you Lou! Pick twice, buy once. Or pick as many and jump in!
To quote Doc Watson:
"Life gets tedious, don't it"
When I started playing music one of my few friends said:
If you miss a note, you can't go back for it; fix it next time around and learn from it.
Time to make dinner!

GreenMTBoy
Jun-15-2014, 5:28pm
Beautiful mandolin Lou , I like the inlay on the scooped out extension

Lou Giordano
Jun-15-2014, 5:31pm
I didn't realize that you had owned a Pricetone previously. How does #214 compare to old #68?

I really missed #68 health issues made me sell it. I bought # 68 from Lewis after he played it a while so it was a little more open maybe a little louder. This one was completed in September 2013. You can still smell the varnish.

My #214 is very balanced, but still has a heck of a bottom to it. Very sweet tone.