PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flinner Trio wants to play in the Dakotas

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-04-2014, 2:23pm
Hi folks,

Here's a rather odd request, but I've got the Matt Flinner Trio out touring in the upper midwest in early September. Anybody know of any good venues/house concerts in North or South Dakota? Part of the reason I ask is that we have a goal of taking our "Music du Jour" project (where all three of us write a new tune the day of the show and perform the three new tunes on that night's gig) to all 50 states. So far we've hit 27. Never hit the Dakotas, Iowa or Minnesota yet, so it'd be cool to get to a few of those this time around if we can---maybe we'll find some unique inspiration. Anyway, if you could let me know of any spots you might know of, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks!

Matt Flinner

jazzjune18
Jun-04-2014, 3:05pm
Where are you stopping in MT??

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-04-2014, 3:25pm
Good question. We need to get there, too! Not sure if it'll be happening on this trip, but it might. Would probably just have to be on weeknights (Tuesday, Wednesday). If you have any suggestions, let me know!
Thanks,
Matt

Rotoman
Jun-04-2014, 6:42pm
Matt,
Drive through the Badlands and check out Medora for inspiration. I know both Bismarck and Fargo have old movie theaters that have been converted to playhouses/concert halls but have no idea of availability.

Bernie Daniel
Jun-04-2014, 7:25pm
Hi folks,

Here's a rather odd request, but I've got the Matt Flinner Trio out touring in the upper midwest in early September. Anybody know of any good venues/house concerts in North or South Dakota? Part of the reason I ask is that we have a goal of taking our "Music du Jour" project (where all three of us write a new tune the day of the show and perform the three new tunes on that night's gig) to all 50 states. So far we've hit 27. Never hit the Dakotas, Iowa or Minnesota yet, so it'd be cool to get to a few of those this time around if we can---maybe we'll find some unique inspiration. Anyway, if you could let me know of any spots you might know of, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks! Matt Flinner

Hey Matt! North Dakota native here -- but 45 years removed. I think you would find lots of interest in your band in either Bismarck or Fargo -- but Minot and Jamestown are also good possibilities.

Someone mentioned Medora - that is a beautiful place and lots of vacation traffic to the South Roosevelt National Park but most if the entrainment is preplanned -- e.g., stage plays that run every night for the summer, horse shows etc.

I have contacted some Bluegrass players in Fargo and notified them of this thread - maybe they will be able to contact and to help you. Cheers.

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-04-2014, 11:27pm
Thank you Bernie! If there's anyone I should contact, please let me know. Much appreciated!

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-05-2014, 8:34am
Rotoman---that sounds great. I've never been to the Badlands but would love to spend some time there. I'll see what I can find out about Bismarck and Fargo. Thanks!

Bernie Daniel
Jun-05-2014, 8:50am
Thank you Bernie! If there's anyone I should contact, please let me know. Much appreciated!

Matt my North Dakota friends have forwarded your travel plans/interests on to the folks who operate a living room theater in Fargo where house concerts are sponsored -- hopefully you will hear from them and something will come of it. If you do not hear by Friday let me know.

I will be out of the country after Saturday and I will try another contact before I leave the USA.

montana
Jun-05-2014, 9:26am
In Montana contact the Yellowstone Bluegrass Assc. (See website) or Phillis Erk (Facebook) both promote shows one in Billings one in
Missoula

RB250
Jun-05-2014, 1:53pm
Why not a stop in the Chicago Area? The Old Town School with a workshop as well or the same at Downhome Guitars....or a house concert or one of the folk Music clubs.

RB250

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-05-2014, 2:27pm
RB250: great idea. Just emailed the Old Town School.
Montana: emailed YBA as well. Hoping to cross the great midwest from Billings to Fargo to Madison to Chicago. Looking forward to the possibilities.
Bernie: sounds great. I hope something can come together.
Thanks to all of you for your help!

Matt

Mike Romkey
Jun-05-2014, 2:50pm
Matt: If you're heading through the Quad-Cities (Davenport, Rock Island, Moline, etc.), on the Mississippi River between Omaha and Chicago on Interstate 80, and interested in a stop here, you have my email from 102. I do a monthly show in a quaint 375-seat theater, have a great audience and email list, and could potentially handle everything from the hall, the sound, local promotion, and FOH. And we do all this regularly for cheap, so the expenses would minimal to nil. We sign a contract in July for next year's rentals, so having a date would be good, but not life or death. - Mike

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-05-2014, 3:52pm
Got it, Mike---thanks! I'll send you an email.

jazzjune18
Jun-06-2014, 10:55am
Re: Mt. Yes. If you have trouble getting in touch with the YBA let me know and I can put you in contact.

Shanachie
Jun-06-2014, 11:44am
When you come to AZ, this would be a great spot for a show. Awesome acoustics and an intimate setting. Have played AZ? I've been practicing your tips from the Ghost Ranch camp. http://mimmusictheater.themim.org

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-06-2014, 12:56pm
Jazzjune: thanks, will do!
Shanachie---we have played in AZ at the Sedona Bluegrass Festival. You should check it out if you can; it's actually happening this weekend. Darol Anger, Peter Rowan, Laurie Lewis & Tom Rozum and Ben Sollee are all on the bill. Plus the Sonoroan Dogs---a great local band (with Peter McLaughlin) that you should hear if you haven't yet.
http://chambermusicsedona.org/sedona-bluegrass-festival.php

Great time at Ghost Ranch, and I hope we cross paths again soon.

Matt

Paul Weber
Jun-06-2014, 6:30pm
There's a music venue in downtown Minneapolis called the Dakota. You can Google it to see if it's a good fit for you.

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-11-2014, 3:19pm
Thanks Paul! Looks like a great venue. Will see if we can work something out there.

bigskygirl
Jun-11-2014, 3:26pm
Hi Matt, for western Montana you can contact the Bitterroot Performing Arts Council, they have shows that run fall thru spring.

Here's the link: http://bitterrootperformingarts.org/Contact.asp

BBarton
Jun-11-2014, 3:38pm
Matt -- For the Sioux Falls SD area (largest city in the Dakotas), you could contact the South Dakota Friends of Traditional Music (www.fotm.org). Go to the "About FOTM" menu link, and at the bottom of that page, there is contact email and phone number available. I used to live in that area and I know they are an active group promoting and sponsoring traditional acoustic music. Definitely worth a shot!

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-14-2014, 4:48pm
BBarton---thanks for the link. I'll give it a shot! Hoping we might be able to do something in Vermillion sometime as well, at the Musical Instrument Museum. Maybe we can tie a few gigs together out that way.
bigskygirl---thanks for this too! I think I'm going to shoot for a good Montana tour when we get our new CD out sometime next year. Definitely need to get out to Hamilton, Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, Helena. Anyway, thank you---looks like a great organization!

terzinator
Jun-16-2014, 11:47am
There's a music venue in downtown Minneapolis called the Dakota. You can Google it to see if it's a good fit for you.
Dakota is great, but the Cedar (on the University of Minnesota's West Bank) is also a fab place for a show. A little bigger, and more of a hall than a bar. (Darol Anger/Joe Walsh/Grant Gordy were just there...)

Legendary venue.

BBarton
Jun-16-2014, 4:24pm
Matt -- I used to live in Vermillion, so quite familiar with the National Music Museum (Fabulous place -- a "must-visit" in any event; they have an F-4 on display there I used to own. The acoustic guitar display has some real jaw-droppers.). The Museum presents noon-hour "brown bag" concerts of all music genres routinely throughout the year for the USD and regional community, so that might be a nice option for you -- they can't pay much, but it's a great spot to perform unplugged. Contact Deborah Reeves there. They book well ahead though.

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-17-2014, 5:56pm
Hi Chris,
Waiting to hear back from the Cedar, actually---I've heard it's great. I believe they want to know our touring history in the Twin Cities, which is basically nil as the Matt Flinner Trio. So I may pursue a small thing at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor instead---what do you think? Worth it? I like those guys a lot and they've been great about hosting workshops in the past. Anyway, hope to see you out on your turf sometime.
Thanks!
Matt

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-17-2014, 6:00pm
BBarton,
Thanks for the contact. My wife and I happened to be passing through Vermillion about 10 years ago or so, and stopped in at the National Music Museum (thanks for correcting me on that). Amazing! I'll bet we saw your F4---they did have quite the collection of vintage Gibson mandos and archtop guitars. Incredible collection of stuff from various parts of the world, too. And a Theremin!
I'll see if we can line something up there at some point. Maybe we can coordinate it with an evening concert in Sioux Falls or somewhere else relatively close. Anyway, thanks for the help!
Matt

terzinator
Jun-18-2014, 10:13am
Hi Chris,
Waiting to hear back from the Cedar, actually---I've heard it's great. I believe they want to know our touring history in the Twin Cities, which is basically nil as the Matt Flinner Trio. So I may pursue a small thing at the Homestead Pickin' Parlor instead---what do you think? Worth it? I like those guys a lot and they've been great about hosting workshops in the past. Anyway, hope to see you out on your turf sometime.
Thanks!
Matt

If you do anything at HPP, I will make sure to be there! (And they would be honored to have you!) I'm sure you have all the contact info for the folks there, but if not, I'm happy to help.

The other wicked cool thing would be to have you play at one of the MBOTMA (Minn. Bluegrass and Old-Time Music Assn) events. We have a fest in August about 90 minutes northwest of the Twin Cities, as well as a couple in town at hotels (when it's too cold to play outside). Next one is the Harvest Jam the weekend before Thanksgiving.(www.minnesotabluegrass.org) I know the performance schedule is set for the August fest, but not sure about Harvest Jam. (I'll look into it.) MBOTMA would also be a good inroads to the Cedar, as they sponsor a good number of events.

PS: I've been a fan for a while; I've learned a good number of fiddle tunes from you and your Bluegrass College vids! Great stuff.

flynyrdskynyrd
Jun-21-2014, 2:34pm
Hi Chris,
Awesome---I'll check into those festivals. Looks like my November is fairly full with Modern Mandolin Quartet stuff (we're in Chicago 11/21), but I'll shoot for 2015.
Thanks for the kind words---glad to hear you got some good stuff from the videos!
Thanks,
Matt