PDA

View Full Version : Neely 4 point at Elderly

multidon
Jun-01-2014, 8:14am
I post this knowing if I draw attention to it I could lose it but that's ok because I'm in a really good place mandolin wise right now. I do still have a soft spot for under appreciated instruments which I think this one might be.

I had a chance to look at it in person at Elderly. It is being sold as is so is not set up. Therefore hard to judge sound. The strings look like they haven't been changed in 4 years. They are black with oxidation. One e string is missing. Everything else was pretty much as the pictures show. Really nice wood was used. The back is well flamed and also has a touch of spalting that makes the grain pop. But I found the back strangely carved. Recurve was carved very deeply and far inside of where you would expect it, making the neck block appear to bulge out the back. It does appear to be intentionally carved that way.

I have been following it since it appeared on the web page. It has been put on hold 3 times in the past month but ultimately listed again each time. Are others seeing red flags that I don't? Elderly says it needs a fret level and dress, new strings (duh), and a set up. If that's all it needs I could do that. I don't need it per se but what does that have to do with it? It just seems like a good price on a luthier made instrument and it deserves a good home. If not with me then someone who could do it justice.

I did do a forum search and found some scant info. There is one member here who has owed 2 and liked them both. I think he owned #36 and #72. This one is #71.

Any insight or info would be appreciated.

bigbendhiker
Jun-01-2014, 9:13am
It sounds like you have pretty much decided that you want this mandolin. It is unique looking and not too expensive. Elderly also has a 10% off coupon promotion active now. Although they have a lot of exclusions, it looks like it would apply to this mandolin. You could always buy it, throw some strings on it, and see how it sounds. If you really didn't care for it you could return it. It may be that once you performed a setup you would really enjoy it. At worst you could probably resell it for what you would have in it. Doesn't seem like there would be much downside. Just my two cents.

Russ Donahue
Jun-01-2014, 9:14am
Did you ask the repair shop about it? I've found them to be very upfront about problems and how they would solve them. On the other hand, my first look at the instrument left me thinking that is a really handsome instrument. As a I looked longer I thought, maybe not so much...

Could be you are very attracted to the instrument, where the other three folks each had second thoughts.

Ask and I bet the folks at Elderly will tell you exactly what is going on. They are an awesome shop, which is why they've been around so long.

multidon
Jun-01-2014, 9:39am
Thank you for the responses so far. To clarify: when Elderly decides to sell an instrument as is it does not go through the shop. The descriptions are written by employees who are not luthiers. They are very clear about this when you read the description about what as is means. They do their best to describe it accurately but not being luthiers they could miss things. So the shop awesome as it is would be no help since they never saw it.

I could do as Scott suggests and just go for it. Not much financial risk there. As is instrument can be returned within 7 day but you pay shipping both ways. But what I was hoping for is comments from someone familiar with the maker's work or maybe even from someone who considered it but took a pass.

Bill Snyder
Jun-01-2014, 10:34am
H E R E (http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6572.htm) is a link to the instrument in question and some photos.
119913 119914 119915

Stok
Jun-01-2014, 12:08pm
They won't even just put one string on it??

It sure looks neat though

trevor
Jun-02-2014, 12:11am
I had one in for a pickup fitting last week. I wasn't impressed with the tone.

Ron McMillan
Jun-02-2014, 4:36am
Without wanting to be overly disrespectful to the builder, even from those photographs it is clearly not of high calibre workmanship. But then, at under $600, neither is the price.

trevor
Jun-02-2014, 5:01am
Good point Ron, the one I had in was OK for $600. Are you still planning to visit?

Ron McMillan
Jun-02-2014, 5:06am
Indeed I am, Trevor. Perhaps on Tuesday 24th of this month.

rm

multidon
Jun-02-2014, 7:28am
Thank you Trevor and Ron. I too was unimpressed with the tone but it did have old strings and no setup. I wondered if it might have greater potential with new strings and set up. Apparently the answer is no. What a shame though. I think the back wood with the combination and figure is beautiful.

multidon
Jun-03-2014, 10:18am
Bump up to note that it is now in our Classifieds.

Interesting development. They certainly don't do that with every mandolin.

oldwave maker
Jun-03-2014, 11:33am
Built a 4 point custom order back toward the end of the last century, not exactly ergonomic for mandoshredding unless using an archers forearm guard on the right arm, but maybe the best mando for a barfight!

Russ Donahue
Jun-03-2014, 11:47am
Bump up to note that it is now in our Classifieds.

Interesting development. They certainly don't do that with every mandolin.

Clearly they pay attention to free marketing opportunities...

RichM
Jun-03-2014, 11:56am
Clearly they pay attention to free marketing opportunities...

That's a bit rude, considering they are a Café sponsor...

Russ Donahue
Jun-03-2014, 5:41pm
Rich M.
I make my living as a marketing executive. I was making an observation that I found complimentary of their practices. They pay attention. If you look at post #3 above you will see I am a big fan of Elderly.

Without Marketing many of us would know nothing about myriads of products that exist - especially in the specialized world of mandolin.

Some of our compatriots on this board spend lots of time "marketing" their favorite brands of instruments as they argue the merits for and against certain styles, brands, types, etc. Is that rude, or bad?

If it weren't for one or two individuals here I'd not know a thing about J Bovier instruments or Northfields as examples.

I don't see marketing as a pejorative...I see it as a useful tool in accomplishing communication with a potential buyer of a good or service.

Thankfully Elderly does marketing as well, which has allowed them to stay in business as long as they have and continue to grow the reputation they have earned during that time.

As sponsors I hope to see them using the platform they help make possible. And good for them recognizing interest has developed here in a product that might otherwise have languished at their shop. And if it gets into the hands of an appreciative Cafe member even better.

'nuff said

Russ Donahue