PDA

View Full Version : FAA Modernization and Reform Act, traveling with mandolin?

Bigtuna
May-28-2014, 6:39am
Sounds like we all need a copy of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act while traveling. Once again someone gets bumped for carring an instrument (http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/violin-plane-viral-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t3). Can we start a list of instrument friendly airlines and those who are not?

Larry S Sherman
May-28-2014, 7:12am
Here's part of the story:

"As the IndyStar explains, de Pue and bandmate Nicolas Kendall were trying to fly from North Carolina to Arkansas for a festival when the plane's crew told them they couldn't board with their instruments as carry-ons. Informed they'd have to stow their violins under the plane instead, the pair decided to skip the flight. Turns out, the FAA says airlines should allow violins as carry-ons, and a US Airways spokesperson subsequently apologized, got them on a different flight, and wished them well at the festival."

Larry

Traveling Tracks
May-28-2014, 7:20am
I'm proud to say I'm friends with these guys from Philly and used to record them before their record deal. At least they will get some press out of this. They are amazing and I recommend everyone check them out.

Jordan S.
May-28-2014, 7:40am
For reference, the section is 403 under FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which states:

"An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if—
(A)the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B)there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft."[/I]

coletrickle
May-28-2014, 7:49am
This story is blowing up since it hit Youtube and Facebook over the weekend. I know Zach from high school and his family are well known violinists, four brothers that are all professionals and their father, who is a retired professor of music. Zach is also the concertmaster for the Indianapolis Symphony.

Crazy that they were just left on the tarmac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGr1AwyOkb8

Either way, you should check out Time For Three, great group that encapsulates the "classical grass" sound.

stevedenver
May-28-2014, 8:42am
There is something you can do about this.....go to the us air site and post a complaint, which is exactly what I did.

A steady stream of complaints will have an impact, perhaps beyond US Air.

In watching this video, I found the captains judgment to be poor, and in complete disregard of passenger service, not to mention the specific rules. Clearly there was room for his gear, presumably not $350K worth, or easily damaged.

brent1308
May-28-2014, 11:48am
For reference, the section is 403 under FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which states:

"An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if—
(A)the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B)there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft."[/I]

Not to support the airlines at all in this matter, but the language quoted above is part (a) of Section 403. Section 403 goes on to state:

‘‘(b) REGULATIONS.—Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment
of this section, the Secretary shall issue final regulations to
carry out subsection (a).
‘‘(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The requirements of this section shall
become effective on the date of issuance of the final regulations
under subsection (b).’’.

As far as I am aware, the FAA has not issued the final regulations despite the passage of the two years. Meaning that the Act is not in effect even though the FAA is delinquent. This is in part why these things continue to happen.

dchernack
May-28-2014, 12:01pm
I'm friends of the violinists (of the group "Time for Three") and I think we all share in their pain, or at least in fear of traveling with our beloved eight-stringed pals. Whether it means being denied a flight or having your instrument smashed... this story just broke last night: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/red-hot-chilli-pipers-guitar-smashed-at-airport-1-2994130

Annette Siegel
May-28-2014, 12:37pm
My husband & I recently traveled on US Air from LAX-PHX-DFW and back. They tried to check my old Gibson Mandolin at LAX, saying no room on board. I told them my husband had gone ahead (with GSMini guitar) and was saving a space in the overhead. They still would not let me board unless I checked my instrument, I stood my ground... they held me at the gate and relented just before the doors closed. The same thing happened on return at DFW, but this time it was Nowell's small guitar...even though we were among the first to board. I've never faced such rough treatment from an airline regarding instruments than with US Air...it seems the norm for them.

My personal solution - Boycott US Air

bigskygirl
May-28-2014, 12:51pm
I've travelled with my ukulele, mandolin, and terz guitar and it was all good.....however it was not on US Air.

I racked up lots of miles on them flying over the years and they are by far some of the rudest attendants I have ever encountered, downright scary at times. I used up all my miles before they merged with American.

Neal Clark
May-28-2014, 1:00pm
I've had a similar instance with Delta coming through LAX even though I had already taken a Portland Delta flight down there with no problems. Likely had to do with the fact that it was a busy late week evening flight. They relented, but it definitely took holding my ground and respectfully explaining that there was absolutely no way I was checking the mando.

I've also found that it helps to greatly inflate the value of the instrument you're carrying when discussing the issue with the attendant (i.e., "this is a $10,000 instrument and there's just no way it can be checked"). Or, if you're one of the fortunate ones, just state the actual value :)

DataNick
May-28-2014, 3:41pm
My husband & I recently traveled on US Air from LAX-PHX-DFW and back. They tried to check my old Gibson Mandolin at LAX, saying no room on board. I told them my husband had gone ahead (with GSMini guitar) and was saving a space in the overhead. They still would not let me board unless I checked my instrument, I stood my ground... they held me at the gate and relented just before the doors closed. The same thing happened on return at DFW, but this time it was Nowell's small guitar...even though we were among the first to board. I've never faced such rough treatment from an airline regarding instruments than with US Air...it seems the norm for them.

My personal solution - Boycott US Air

Wow!

Sounds like company "Groupthink"

Jordan S.
May-29-2014, 9:54am
Out of curiosity, what happens if an airline destroys your mandolin while it's in the cargo hold as checked luggage? Who has the legal liability? Does the owner have any recourse?

stevedenver
Jun-06-2014, 9:40am
its about 25 cents a pound!

JeffD
Jun-06-2014, 12:10pm
I have a copy of the FAA rules regarding allowing certain medications to be brought on board, in my case diabetes drugs, needles and lancets. I have never had a problem, but I have the paperwork with me in case.