PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky KM 505, 550 500

lflngpicker
May-26-2014, 4:38pm
These Kentucky mandolins are in a fairly similar price range. The 505 comes highly recommended around here. I understand that the 550 is an updated version of the 505 and the 500 is a lighter sunburst edition of the 505. I am looking at the best sounding and playing A style mandolin for the dollar and these seem to be a good call. Should one stick with the tried and true 505?

renoyd
May-26-2014, 8:35pm
All if them are very good and close enough that the exact model won't matter much. More important is that the setup is done well, and if you get a chance to try one that feels and sounds good to you, that's your mando. The next step up is the 900/950 series which are different and a true upgrade at a higher price. But don't sweat it, normally you can't go wrong with any of the 500's.

texaspaul
May-26-2014, 9:23pm
It is my understanding that the 550 & 500 are built in a different workshop. There were some quality problems with the 500 & 550 early in their production but I believe that has been corrected. Robert Fear of "Folkmusician" can shed some light on these.

lflngpicker
May-27-2014, 9:35am
renoyd and texaspaul, Thanks for the great responses. You both provided information to aid my decision process. I agree that the set up is critical -- much to consider. Texaspaul-- look at the back on that F style! That is beautiful.

Folkmusician.com
May-27-2014, 2:28pm
It is my understanding that the 550 & 500 are built in a different workshop.

This is correct... The KM-500 and 550 are entirely different than the KM-505. This holds true down to the bone used for the nut, bridges, screws, etc.

The KM-250/254 are closer to the 505.

lflngpicker
May-27-2014, 5:49pm
Hi Robert, I appreciate your expertise. Do I understand you correctly? The quality of the 505 is more likely found in the 250/254 than the 500/550? The standard of quality in A style Kentucky Mandolins at this price point is the 505? Thanks again!

Ivan Kelsall
May-28-2014, 12:09am
I played a KM505 over here at one of my local music stores about 2 years ago now & it was outstanding for the price. It played easily,the tone was excellent & the build quality was very good indeed. All told, a bargain !,
Ivan

Folkmusician.com
May-28-2014, 11:11am
The KM-500 and 550 can be good as well, some runs did have issues though. If shopping for a 500/550/600/650 (these four are from the same factory), you just need to be more careful about the source. In other words, buy from a reputable dealer that is setting them up and would catch any issues. :)

The latest versions of the KM-250/254 are great values!

mandopaul
May-28-2014, 11:19am
When you say issues, what might these be? High frets, incorrect nut slots, stuff like this? What time frame were these made, recently or a few years back?

Are the 500 - 600 series made in the same factory as the KM900 or is that a different factory? Is there a dramatic difference in the build / tone of the KM900?

mandopaul
May-28-2014, 11:27am
Robert, if you don't mind this question regarding the 500 and 550, when finish says nitrocellouse, does that mean a coat on top, with a poly undercoat, or all the way though nitro?

Which one do you take a liking to more (500 or 550?)

Folkmusician.com
May-28-2014, 3:31pm
When you say issues, what might these be? High frets, incorrect nut slots, stuff like this? What time frame were these made, recently or a few years back?

Setup issues are normal on all of these (km-505 included) as well as the competitors. Uneven frets and various small issues are no big deal. What I am calling issues would be things that setup would not be able to address, though you would notice them while doing a good setup. :)

The KM-900 is made in more of a shop setting at yet another location. If you look at the Kentucky's there are at least 5 different variations that are not directly related. IE: made on a different line or an entirely different factory.

The Kentuckys appear to be all nitro, but I am not 100% sure what sealer coats all of the models use. A thin sealer coat of something other than nitro would be fine and I would still consider it a nitro finish.

lflngpicker
May-28-2014, 8:38pm
Robert, This is really great and helpful information. I thank you, much!

lflngpicker
May-30-2014, 7:16pm
I am ready to find my next mandolin and I was hoping some of you could help me compare the Loar and Eastman versions in the same $500-700 price range as the KM-505. Any other suggestions? I am wanting an A style for folk and country accompaniment as I sing.

Paul South
May-30-2014, 8:16pm
Howdy, I have an Eastman MD 505. It seems to be real moody with the way the humidity goes. A & E strings always seems to sound good but at times the G & D sound like plunking on barbed wire fence.

I only mention humidity because the guy where I bought it said that was why it sounded that way, and since I'm fairly new to mandolin, I don't doubt him.

I've read about Steve Perry's process to make a mandolin sound better so I emailed him. He said he can make my 505 sound as good as a Eastman MD 805. I am considering doing this.

I only mention all this because I think if I would have had an opportunity to try a Kentucky 505, I would have went for the Kentucky instead.

lflngpicker
May-30-2014, 8:55pm
Thanks SwervynMervyn99-- I appreciate the honest assessment. I am sure you have a really great instrument and all of them have their strengths and weaknesses, I am sure. Yours is one I am reading about and hope to get a chance to play. Thanks for your kind input. I want to make the best possible decision and plan to make sure whatever I get it has the right set up.

texaspaul
May-30-2014, 9:28pm
I think the back of my mandolin is really nice. It was built by Bill Northcutt (hHouston, TX) in 1988.

I really like the inlay on the KM 550, it reminds me of a teens Gibson A3. I almost bought one but shied away because of some of the "issues" but never really knew what they were. I would completely trust Robert to check out and stand behind any instrument he sent out.

lflngpicker
May-30-2014, 10:44pm
Great input Texaspaul! Thanks.

pheffernan
May-31-2014, 7:29am
As you are asking for suggestions, and not intending to play bluegrass at jams, I would point out that a flattop might well suit your needs. Since they are less time-consuming and therefore cheaper to make, you can find a new domestic instrument at the top of your budget: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-MUDDY-M1-SPECIAL-EDITION-FIGURED-MAHOGANY-6-8-NEW-NICE-/181424403642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3dbcb4ba. And if you're patient, you can often find a used one beneath your floor. This is the end result:

4h7MIC1pD_s

lflngpicker
May-31-2014, 11:34am
pheffernan: Great suggestion. Thanks. I have given some consideration to a Big Muddy. I will look at these domestically designed flat tops. BTW: I would love to attempt a blue grass jam, but not knowing of any... I have always been a singer/entertainer, so I have co-opted my mandolin playing to go with what I always have done on the guitar. :)

DGW1945
Jun-03-2014, 11:18am
I was able to try several A mandolin models and brands in OKC memorial day weekend within a $500-600 range (for a backup instrument) and the KM 505 convinced me to take it home. IMHO it was the best of the bunch for me. I did have to pass up a used Weber and a new Breedlove that were out of my price range. (I am saving for a better upgrade). So far the KM 505 with new strings sounds even better at home. I would very strongly urge you to look at, hold, and play (several times, if possible) any string instrument regardless of price before buying. If you can, try at least 1 or more of each of the models you are considering.

lflngpicker
Jun-03-2014, 4:31pm
David, Thanks for the good and sound advice. Congratulations on your new Kentucky. It sounds like a really nice instrument. I am sizing up the area I live in for stores that might have instruments of the quality we are discussing. Sam Ash and Guitar Center do not carry quality mandolins in my area, nor do the ma-and-pa local stores. I rely a lot on all of you and then listening to mp3's and watching videos of the various mandolins I am interested in. I am pretty well convinced that the KM-505 is the best in this range and have a desire to also play the Loar LM-400 and the Eastman MD505. Any thoughts on the Loar and Eastman?

lflngpicker
Jun-09-2014, 11:29pm
I decided to go with a JBovier A5 Special. It has such high recommendations from several here, and the fret size and nut width are really good for my large hands. I am looking forward to it.