PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin recommendations to check out

LongBlackVeil
May-26-2014, 1:41pm
I'm already thinking about my second mandolin purchase, I'm gonna make due with my loar while I save for awhile but I was thinking maybe some of you could point me in the right direction.

I have a loar lm300 a style mandolin, that sounds decent and has a great neck profile, I'm wondering if there's any higher end mandolins that have a similar chunky profile? I've heard webers were on the chunky side, there's a dealer that carries webers near me but that's all he carries as far as upper end mandos.

So any other builders that build with a chunky neck? I couldn't see myself spending more than 3k, but I do think I want an f style.

I play mainly bluegrass but also really am into David grismans style which includes more than just BG.

What do you suggest?

Brandon Sumner
May-26-2014, 1:53pm
The Weber and Eastman both have the thicker neck style, that I have experienced . Presently,I own a Weber Gallitin A and a Girouard A ,The Girouard has a V neck and honestly, I enjoy playing both equally well, each neck suits the Mando nicely.
Hope you fine one you like!

roysboy
May-27-2014, 10:19am
The Weber and Eastman both have the thicker neck style, that I have experienced . Presently,I own a Weber Gallitin A and a Girouard A ,The Girouard has a V neck and honestly, I enjoy playing both equally well, each neck suits the Mando nicely.
Hope you fine one you like!

Having been a guitar player most of my life , I've learned that I can adapt to a neck profile 99 percent of the time and I've played hundreds of guitars . I've played mandolin for far less time but , again , with ver few exceptions ( a fretboard width too narrow for large hands for instance ) I've found mandolin necks far far easier to adapt to . If you find one with tone that speaks to you and it's reasonably priced , you'll adapt .

Amanda Gregg
May-27-2014, 10:25am
I don't know about the neck profile, but there is a Stiver A in the classifieds right now for 3K. It's not an F, but it would be a fantastic bluegrass instrument. These are a steal.

LongBlackVeil
May-29-2014, 10:17am
I'm going for this one. Should be here soon

http://www.banjohangout.org/classified/43770

pheffernan
May-29-2014, 11:35am
MAS: a case study

LBV is a musician with MAS admitted to Mandolin Cafe on May 16th, 2014. The patient described heightened feelings of excitement and enthusiasm. The patient first experienced symptoms when migrating from a ten year exposure to guitar:

Just wanted to introduce myself here.

The patient returned on May 24th with continuing symptoms and revealed a modest mandolin-shaped protrusion from his torso:

Got it in and i really love it, it sounds great.

By May 26th, the patient's symptoms intensified, manifesting as obsessive fixation, rationalization, deal making, and delusion:

I'm already thinking about my second mandolin purchase, I'm gonna make due with my loar while I save for awhile but I was thinking maybe some of you could point me in the right direction.

Predictably, the patient returned May 29th with a full blown case and advanced symptoms including points and scrolls:

I'm going for this one. Should be here soonhttp://www.banjohangout.org/classified/43770

ASSESSMENT: The progression of symptoms is familiar to regulars at Mandolin Cafe, but even the most hardened veterans are shocked by this virulent strain of MAS and the 13 day life cycle of this pathogen. The prognosis is bleak, but friends and family find solace in the fact that the patient has not yet shown signs of pots, flanges, heads, or tone rings.

LongBlackVeil
May-29-2014, 11:44am
Haha! Hilarious. Very true, a massive mas attack indeed.

I actually decided to return the loar, it was ok and played great but I decided I wasn't liking the sound when I compared it to other mandolins. I feel bad for returning it because robert at folk musician did a good job and provided great customer service, but I wanted more so I had to get it

I didn't think I would love playing mandolin so much, so I bought a cheaper instrument thinking it would just be something on the side. But I was suprised how much fun it was to play. Now I want a real quality instrument

Mickey King
May-29-2014, 11:59am
Check this Lafferty out, sounds better than two Weber's I used to have.http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/76147 I have a new custom Lafferty Deluxe coming in a few days and I need to make room.

Sid Simpson
May-29-2014, 5:02pm
I have a Breedlove, and it has a wider neck ( 1 3/16") which is also a bit "beefier" than most. Nice playing and sounding instrument. I started as a guitar player and it was comfortable fom the start for me.

roysboy
May-29-2014, 6:58pm
MAS: a case study

LBV is a musician with MAS admitted to Mandolin Cafe on May 16th, 2014. The patient described heightened feelings of excitement and enthusiasm. The patient first experienced symptoms when migrating from a ten year exposure to guitar:

The patient returned on May 24th with continuing symptoms and revealed a modest mandolin-shaped protrusion from his torso:

By May 26th, the patient's symptoms intensified, manifesting as obsessive fixation, rationalization, deal making, and delusion:

Predictably, the patient returned May 29th with a full blown case and advanced symptoms including points and scrolls:

ASSESSMENT: The progression of symptoms is familiar to regulars at Mandolin Cafe, but even the most hardened veterans are shocked by this virulent strain of MAS and the 13 day life cycle of this pathogen. The prognosis is bleak, but friends and family find solace in the fact that the patient has not yet shown signs of pots, flanges, heads, or tone rings.

Damn this is scary funny , my friend....brilliant , in fact . I know we all see glimpses of our affliction in this patient's battle . As I've always maintained ,in a perfect world there would be a 12 step group for us but there wouldn't be ONE responsible sponsor in the lot . Sad .......sad indeed .I suppose if some of us are destined to spend our final days living under a bridge somewhere , it will at least be made more tolerable if we have that 8,000 dollar mando we chose over a down payment on a small condo .

LongBlackVeil
May-29-2014, 8:42pm
Yea I have to admit that's probably the funniest post I've ever seen...

Help... Me

nickster60
Jun-03-2014, 7:40am
Mandolins and neck profiles to me they are like lovely ladies. They may look different , feel different and sound different but in the end the are just wonders to behold.