PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see the new National Resophonic mandolins?

Pedal Steel Mike
Mar-11-2005, 6:57pm
I had a chance to try out the prototype, and was very impressed with the sound. The one I played only had 16 frets, and the production models will have more, but I gotta say, these puppies are quite amazing. They don't sound like a mando-dobro hybrid, but rather like a traditional wood mandolin, only louder.

I think that when these finally hit the market, (if they haven't done so already) they are going to be a VERY serious contender.

mandograss
Mar-11-2005, 8:17pm
Is this the model you are talking about? Looks sweet.

http://www.nationalguitars.com/mandolin/index.html

Pedal Steel Mike
Mar-11-2005, 11:06pm
That's the one. And it sounds as good as the ad says it does.

Note that the one pictured has only 16 frets. As I mentioned, the production models will have more. Probably 17 full frets, and 3 more half frets that just cover the first 2 courses.

Rich Michaud
Mar-12-2005, 12:26pm
I fell in love with mine #4 from the factory, which I bought in late February. It is surprisingly good, playable, and a great banjo killer-It actually sounds great with a banjo tone-wise. It is a great buy. Rich Michaud

John Flynn
Mar-12-2005, 12:57pm
Does any dealer actually have one yet? Rich, where and how did you buy yours? I am seriously interested in getting one.

Pedal Steel Mike
Mar-12-2005, 9:37pm
I am seriously interested in getting one.
I'd like one too, but I'm going to wait till they add the necessary frets. I cannot live with less than 20.

Joe Mendel
Mar-12-2005, 11:57pm
I played the two they had at NAMM and was amazed. They did not have the harsh sound I associate with resonator mandolins. It was very loud, but sounded great. The price is not bad either, $1600.00 as I remember.

Rich Michaud
Mar-14-2005, 10:18pm
I first saw the ad and called the factory. They were very responsive and shipped one to Joe Caruso at The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. Joe gave me a good report from the trade show that he went to in February. It is surprisingly good if you have familiarity withe older resophonics-I have one as well. If you want one, call the factory and find out which dealer has them. Elderly will have them in a month or so.. Rich

Don Christy
May-10-2005, 6:49am
I just received #9 and really love it. The local shop didn't have it (and wouldn't have it for a couple of months) so I called National and found out who was getting a shipment. MAndo Bros had one shipping that day so I called and placed a deposit and had them ship directly from national to me instead of going by mando bros.

It does has 20 frets now and sounds great. I think it's a pretty good deal at $1480. I posted some pics on another thread.
Reso Pic thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=12&t=24518)
Don