PDA

View Full Version : Still looking

GratefulFred
May-18-2014, 6:50pm
I know I will catch grief form the $3K to $5K crowd, but I'm still looking for an F style with case for $1K or under. I had the two Eastmans (MD315 and MD515) that I tried, but after messing around with them a bit, although the play-ability (is that a word?) was good and workmanship seemed good, too, they weren't any louder, and also weren't as "bright" compared to my $175 A style Epiphone. Could be strings that are used, could be I just have a really good Epiphone???

Anyway, I found a nearby dealer that was currently out of Kentucky stock, but he had some Loar models (plus one Gibson A and a few other assorted entry level models). I tried the LM520VS and the LM590, both nice instruments. They had a good sound. Yes, I noticed the somewhat sloppy finish under the fingerboard extension on a couple mandos there, but nothing else that would out me off. He had some nice Loar A models too (I know I still want to pay the $300 extra for the strap hanger). He had one 600VS, but he brought that one out from his storage, and it hadn't been set up yet. It was sold already, and in the midst of having a pickup installed. He had one LM700VS that also wasn't set up yet. He'll be doing that this week and I'm coming back for a test drive. It's right at my top end as far as price, and I'm not going farther up the scale. This guy (the owner is also the tech) has a great reputation for guitar set up and repair, so that's something in his favor. In fact, he says it takes him a little longer to properly set up a mandolin than it does a guitar. BTW: I do like the ebony finger boards on the 600/700 better than the rosewood board on some of the other models. Oh well, I'm still searching and keeping an open mind.

Jim
May-18-2014, 7:00pm
There"s this in the classifieds: Kentucky KM-855 Bella Voce Mandolin nfi

Steve Zawacki
May-18-2014, 7:08pm
If I wanted a new F-style for under $1,000, I'd be seriously looking at a JBovier F5T.

mandobassman
May-18-2014, 7:18pm
If I wanted a new F-style for under $1,000, I'd be seriously looking at a JBovier F5T.

I would agree. I've played a few of them and all were outstanding. I don't think there's a F model under 1K that comes close.

JeffJones
May-18-2014, 7:29pm
If you want a new mandolin because you want a new mandolin, buy a new mandolin. Any of the Eastman or The Loar mandolins you have tried are better than your Epiphone and would do you well. And, in any case, the weak link in the tone equation is probably you, not the mandolin.

If you want a better sounding mandolin, practice, practice, practice. And if you are serious about improving the tone you are getting out of your mandolin, under buy on the mandolin and spend some of that money on lessons, if you can find a teacher you like. Everyone always wants to but their way into better tone, but better tone comes from you spending the time learning how to pull the best tone possible out the mandolin you have.

I would buy that Eastman MD315, if it is still available, and a month or two worth of lessons, or a week at a music camp somewhere, and start practicing.

GratefulFred
May-18-2014, 9:54pm

I mentioned that brand at a couple of shops. Nobody carries them around here.

Phil Goodson
May-18-2014, 10:00pm
Hi Fred.:)

The replies mentioning Kentucky, JBovier, The Loar, and Eastman are certainly giving you the usual suspects when looking for the best shot at an inexpensive F model. It's a real plus to be able to play a mando before deciding to buy. Lots of folks don't have the opportunity to do that. Individual instruments can vary quite a bit and some less expensive mandos sound surprisingly good.

Welcome to the MandoCafe!! Great source for good info.
Try not to be put off by the occasional rude response.;)

allenhopkins
May-18-2014, 10:42pm
...Any of the Eastman or The Loar mandolins you have tried are better than your Epiphone...the weak link in the tone equation is probably you, not the mandolin….practice, practice, practice. And if you are serious...spend some of that money on lessons...Everyone always wants to buy their way into better tone, but better tone comes from you...start practicing.

And "welcome to the Cafe´", Fred -- I guess… Hope you enjoyed the lecture. Now stow your civvies in your footlocker, and report to the parade ground for four hours of mandolin drill. Lift that pick, hup, two, three, four...

Inexpensive mandolins often have a "bright" sound, what some of us would call "thin." And they can have plenty of volume. So one can be forgiven if thinking that a better-crafted mandolin, with perhaps a "richer," less trebly sound, doesn't have the same "punch" as the cheaper, probably plywood instrument.

Plus, a player gets used to the sound of the instrument he/she plays. Other mandolins sound different. Better? That's in the ear of the beholder (or whatever the aural equivalent of "beholder" is).

We can tell you what mandolins are better made, but not which ones sound better to you. You seem to like the sound of the Loars, so pursuing that direction might make sense. And JBovier is a brand that's not as widely carried as Eastman, Kentucky or Loar, so local stores may not have them. They can be ordered on-line, but if you want to try one before you buy (usually an excellent strategy), that's harder to do with JBovier.

I really like Eastmans (own four myself) but not everyone does. Get something that suits you; "searching and keeping an open mind" makes a helluva lot of sense to me. You've got a good idea of where you want to end up -- just need to find a way to get there. It'll happen.

Zissou Intern
May-18-2014, 11:14pm
You can easily find a used Kentucky KM1000 for $1000 or slightly under that price. They are consistently nice sounding mandolins, very much in a traditional tone camp.

JeffJones
May-19-2014, 2:34am
And "welcome to the Cafe´", Fred -- I guess… Hope you enjoyed the lecture.

Hmm, so I guess we are just randomly welcoming people to the forum? Well, welcome Fred! From your friendly neighborhood mandolin Drill Sergeant! Now, like Allen said " Lift that pick, hup, two, three, four...". :)

I will say, be careful who you take advice from on mandolin acquisitions, you might wind up 8 mandolins like Allen... Wait, never mind 8 mandolins(well, 8 mandolin family instruments) actually sounds pretty awesome.

Joking around aside, it sounds like you are in a pretty good position, it sounds like you have multiple(?) shops in your area that have allowed you the opportunity to try out in person a number of mandolins in person in your price range. And one of the shops has a well regarded setup and repair person.

Does the owner of either of the shops play the mandolin well? Or do you know any mandolin players that you could talk into joining you at the shop to check out mandolins? It can be very helpful to have someone play the instruments in question back to back while you listen to them from out front. It can be easier to focus on the sound/tone of the mandolin if you are not playing it, or at the very least it can offer you a different perspective on the instruments. Even just bringing a non-mandolin playing friend along to lend you an extra set of impartial ears can be helpful as well.

There was one other thing I wanted to ask you about from your original post in your first thread. You said when you were describing how you arrived at your desired budget, "Now my wife / CFO wants "shiny", too". So my question is, how did you manage this!?! Your wife is trying to talk you into spending more on a mandolin? Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to? ;)

Best of luck, and don't forget to... :mandosmiley:

Michael Bridges
May-19-2014, 4:46am
All good advice, as far as being able to play a new instrument and compare. I will say this about the JBoviers. Those of us who have bought them find them to be a notch above the other Pac Rim mandos. Fit and finish, tone and playability all combine to make them just a good mando, you can leave out "for the price". As far as shiny, take a look at this F5T Blacktop from Kyle at The MandoShop. (An excellent guy to do business with, BTW) http://www.themandoshop.net/pages-jbovier/J-F5T-BG-12414-899.html
whatever final decision you make, good luck, and enjoy!

David Lewis
May-19-2014, 5:41am
All good advice, as far as being able to play a new instrument and compare. I will say this about the JBoviers. Those of us who have bought them find them to be a notch above the other Pac Rim mandos. Fit and finish, tone and playability all combine to make them just a good mando, you can leave out "for the price". As far as shiny, take a look at this F5T Blacktop from Kyle at The MandoShop. (An excellent guy to do business with, BTW) http://www.themandoshop.net/pages-jbovier/J-F5T-BG-12414-899.html whatever final decision you make, good luck, and enjoy!

My solidbody jbovier is an outstanding instrument.

GratefulFred
May-19-2014, 9:03pm
Thanks guys for all the input. I have learned a lot in the past couple weeks. I used to think, OK my Epiphone has a solid top, but of course there's a lot more to it. Then I started learning about carved solid tops, sides and backs. Not to mention materials (my Epi has mahogany back and sides, but I am now looking for maple, of course). Then at one of the shops, I was asking about cast tail pieces vs stamped, and just what kind of tuners are on that mandolin.... I got the deer in the headlights look.

If I had my way, I'd run out and buy a bucket of talent first, but nobody seems to carry that in their shops. This is gonna take me a while because my work schedule is so crazy, and I'm out of town a lot. I am looking forward to retirement when I can sit down and pick some more.

I actually have a contact with a guy who can get Washburns, but I've never touched one. The only one I've heard was when he played the electric version of the M3SW, and that was in an amplified situation (the band pllayed a cover of Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"). I assume these are all Pacific Rim built, too, and nobody has mentioned them, so I haven't pursued that angle.

GratefulFred
May-19-2014, 9:12pm
BTW: While searching and thinking all things mandolin, I just remembered a guy who I used to work with had told me about a mandolin he got from his dad. He said it was an old Gibson A style oval / round hole. I wonder if I could find him and see if he still has it? He retired about 10 years ago, so it might be a futile search since he moved to another state, but I'll give it a shot. You never know (maybe I will get two mandolins, lol).

Mike Snyder
May-19-2014, 10:11pm
Keeping an open mind when looking for a lifetime mandolin? Good luck. Many of us have. I have, but it's far over your price limit. Going the big bucks isn't necessarily necessary, however. I have a buddy with an Epiphone Blonde with maple neck and back, not sure of the model #) and it's a nice sounding instrument. What I'm saying; It will come to you. Belay the stress of wanting. Play the frets off what you have, save your nickles and dimes, watch the classifieds, play everything you can possibly get your hands on in order to define EXACTLY what you want in a mandolin. Try not to get caught up in the name game. Maybe your lifetimer will have a big name, maybe not. My gut tells me that what you have ain't that bad, time is on your side IF you let it be, and haste to find THE ONE makes for much catch-and release MAS. YMMV.

GratefulFred
May-22-2014, 8:16am
Well, it probably won't be "the one", it's just a little bit of MAS and some limited funds (even though I upped it from my original $500 range, twice now, I am at the limit). As I found in guitars, you can never have too many, lol. The CFO (Chief Family Officer) is also expecting shiny/new, so that's a consideration. I don't know why Chi-town is so devoid of mandolin dealers (other than big box, bottom end/entry level stuff). One wonders why my budget is much lower than when I bought my daughter's viola in high school (an upcoming maker with a very good price of $3K). Oh, well. If I can get one that I like for now and get some time to learn, maybe then I will go find the purchase of a lifetime.