PDA

View Full Version : Definitely the WRONG way to use your case

lukmanohnz
May-15-2014, 1:41am
I wonder if his mandolin was in the case at the time...

http://www.localnews8.com/news/man-arrested-after-musician-gets-mandolin-case-in-face/25976920

Bertram Henze
May-15-2014, 5:42am
I wonder if his mandolin was in the case at the time...

If it was, and still is ok, that case certainly qualifies for airline travel.

wildpikr
May-15-2014, 6:57am
Must have taken lessons from this guy...119247

Denny Gies
May-15-2014, 7:17am
Calton or TLK? They leave out such important information.

mandocrucian
May-15-2014, 7:44am
Good as a folding metal chair!

http://birtherthinktank.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/chair.jpg

(The news report didn't say what instrument the assaulted band member played. Or if he had it coming to him. Betcha it was the banjo player!)

Steve Ostrander
May-15-2014, 8:25am
The only thing that would make it better is if it was a banjo case.....

nickster60
May-15-2014, 8:47am
I read that story this morning. I have a house in Idaho Falls so I keep up on the local news. Big news in Idaho Falls not to much happens out there. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of one of those Weber cases, built like a tank.

samlyman
May-15-2014, 9:00am
Oh Idaho! Some of the people in this state make me want to move one mile west and get out of this crazy place (to Pullman, WA).

allenhopkins
May-15-2014, 10:30am
For sale: custom Shmergel Devastator flight case. A real banjo (player) killer!

farmerjones
May-15-2014, 10:39am
Doc, I axed if it was a little guitar, and he just went OFF.

Pete Counter
May-15-2014, 11:08am
El-Kabong?

mandocrucian
May-15-2014, 11:09am
Ask yourself..... how many times might this have potentially happened with you? (Especially if you were picking in Key West!!! :) )

http://www.localnews8.com/news/man-arrested-after-musician-gets-mandolin-case-in-face/25976920

http://temp.swaggertheband.com/

Incidentally, yesterday on TNT, there was an episode of the forensic crime show Bones ("Mayhem on a Cross") (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1248445/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) where the skeleton of a bassist was being used as an onstage prop by a Norwegian black metal band. (The opening 5 minutes of that show is always a gross-out hoot!)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NkHGlMpVtMI/TQvkKx3bjZI/AAAAAAAAFjg/i_ia_ObkKRo/s1600/Bones+S04+E2+-+Mayhem+on+a+Cross.jpg

PS:
What did the punched out picker sing when he got back on his feet?
"I get knocked down, but I get up again, You're never gonna keep me down...."

nickster60
May-15-2014, 11:25am
Sam
There are states that put Idaho to shame. You should spend sometime time down here in the South.
Buy the way Go Vandals
Proud U of I student

PJ Doland
May-15-2014, 11:58am
A fight between members of a band playing Irish music at a bar two days before St. Patrick's Day.

I wonder if alcohol could have been involved?!?

bratsche
May-15-2014, 12:04pm
What is his Mandolin Cafe username?

bratsche

samlyman
May-15-2014, 12:31pm
Nickster: I've been down south a lot over the years. I spent a year in Rexburg at Ricks College (1979), annually bike in the Craters of the Moon area, attend the Weiser Fiiddle Contest, and regularly go to Boise to visit my oldest son.

I never attended the U of I but my wallet sure has as three of my five kids are Vandals and the youngest is set to start as a freshman in a little over a year.

Where do you hail from?

mrmando
May-15-2014, 12:49pm
This is why I never pick a fight with anyone but the whistle player.

mandocrucian
May-15-2014, 1:21pm
This is why I never pick a fight with anyone but the whistle player.

Are you kidding? Think again. :crying:

I'd much rather have someone swinging a Tele like a club at me. Don't kid yourself that a tin whistle stab (with either end) to the soft tissue won't penetrate. Into the eye or throat, it could easily be "curtains".

(Getting "tiger clawed" by someone wearing fingerpicks would also be highly unpleasant.)

nickster60
May-15-2014, 2:35pm
Sam
I meant like Georgia,South Carolina, Florida. I hail originally from Connecticut and have lived in Florida for 20 years. I have a house in Idaho Falls I plan on semi-retiring too. I want to finish by B.S so I transferred my credits to the U of I and have taking classes in their Idepentant study program. My wife is also a student but not matriculated.

samlyman
May-15-2014, 2:37pm
I guess the moral to the story is don't pick fights with band mates as any instrument or case can be turned into a weapon. As for me, I'm glad my mando sits in a Calton in case I have to protect myself.

sgarrity
May-15-2014, 2:51pm
I was just typing the exact same thing! :mandosmiley:

nickster60
May-15-2014, 3:07pm
I guess it is better to try to get along with your band mates. If you hit your lead singer with a instument case you could be out of work. A banjo player well I am on the fence on them.

CES
May-15-2014, 4:14pm
I guess it is better to try to get along with your band mates. If you hit your lead singer with a instument case you could be out of work. A banjo player well I am on the fence on them.

Seen Zombieland? A resonator banjo, esp a cheap import made like a tank to avoid warrantee issues, could do some damage, lol. And hitting a banjo player in the head or face with anything is unlikely do do any significant damage (insert brainless/toothless banjo player jokes here).

Btw, I own a banjo (a cheap import open back model that wouldn't stand up to too much head banging), am from SC, and currently live in North Carolina (which is pushing it vertically, but you do whatcha gotta do). I would have never in a million years thought "southern Idaho," either...guess it's all about where your mind is at!

samlyman
May-15-2014, 4:35pm
I was just typing the exact same thing! :mandosmiley:

I guess Heiden players think alike!

mrmando
May-15-2014, 4:58pm
Are you kidding? Think again. :crying:
Ah, but Niles, you study martial arts, don't you? You probably don't need an instrument case of any kind to defend yourself.

JeffD
May-15-2014, 5:20pm
Be careful out there. It might be the other guy with the case.

Ellen T
May-15-2014, 5:31pm
An uncased mandolin would be just the right size for a backhand swing at a head. Do they make steel-enforced models?

mrmando
May-15-2014, 5:35pm
A guy built a concrete mandolin and posted some photos a few weeks ago.

I really like how the concrete mandolin fits into the mix. And the guy who plays it? He's rock solid.

mandocrucian
May-15-2014, 5:49pm
You probably don't need an instrument case of any kind to defend yourself.

But in one of the "Guns Allowed Anywhere" states like Georgia, a bulletproof rectangular case might come in handy as a defense against bar room bullets.

http://www.argoasecurity.com/product_detail.aspx?productID=868

http://www.007collector.com/bond/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/mpc_secret-agent-attache-case2.jpg

Matt DeBlass
May-15-2014, 6:25pm
"It's *WHACK* not *WHACK* a $@$%ing ukulele *WHACK WHACK WHACK*!"

Mike Bunting
May-15-2014, 9:01pm
The thread title reminds me of those threads asking about the right or wrong way for down-up pickstrokes or fingering on the mandolin where someone always replies with a do whatever works for you, etc. So I say here is no wrong way to use a mandolin case, do whatever works for you and don't let the case nazis tell you any different.

Astro
May-15-2014, 9:43pm
I heard the victim tried to argue his point. But he didn't have a case.

He offered instead a case in point, but he received a case in face.

dang
May-16-2014, 4:16am
I was working in a lab in a research building and on a hot day I brought in a mando in a shaped black case. One of the professors (from Philly) put his hands up and said "where I'm from you've got to know better than to ask what's in the case."

Apparently it could have been empty and I would have still been able to do plenty of damage :cool:

almeriastrings
May-16-2014, 4:38am
There are two extremes of this scenario, with very different outcomes. If it had been one of those old MARK LEAF cases (especially a banjo case loaded with an old Mastertone) the guy would likely be facing a murder charge. On the other hand, if it had been a TRAVELITE the "victim" would probably just have thought he was getting a gentle pat on the head for being good....

Cheryl Watson
May-16-2014, 8:34am
Tempers sure can fly in bands! Yes, a Mark Leaf case could have really done some damage!

sgrexa
May-16-2014, 8:47am
Governor pardon is likely, have you seen this circus yet!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EocFjwaJNw0

allenhopkins
May-16-2014, 11:31am
The assailant's arrested, so the case is closed.

Mandobart
May-16-2014, 12:13pm
Nickster - I drank two of the best years of my life while a sailor in IF. S1W, 1983 - 1985. Fortunately never got whacked by any kind of case there. Just crashed into trees at Targhee.

Eddie Sheehy
May-16-2014, 2:00pm
So those old-time gangsters probably didn't have machine-guns in their mandolin cases... they just used the cases?

Bertram Henze
May-16-2014, 2:17pm
machine-guns in their mandolin cases...

The Tompson had approx. the length to fit into a mandolin case. But the weight...

journeybear
May-16-2014, 2:42pm
We don't know enough of the back story concerning this incident. For all we know, this may have been the RIGHT way to use his case.

Especially if the victim is the banjo player in the band ... :whistling:

John Flynn
May-16-2014, 6:34pm
Q: What do you say to a rock musician wearing a suit and tie?

A: Will the defendant please rise...