PDA

View Full Version : NMD: Eastman MD 904

Dotneck
May-08-2014, 6:10am
Starting this new stringed adventure. Wish me luck!

TheMandoShop
May-08-2014, 8:06am
Nice mandolin! Good luck!

Ron Cox
May-08-2014, 8:16am
Sweet!

JEStanek
May-08-2014, 8:46am
Enjoy! Have fun and welcome to the Mandolin Cafe.

Jamie

Randi Gormley
May-08-2014, 8:47am
Nice! play it with joy!

Ron Cox
May-08-2014, 3:47pm
I love Eastmans. That model would have seriously kept me from getting my 814.

Will you be posting a sound/video clip?

Perry Babasin
May-08-2014, 5:42pm
Nice looking instrument! Enjoy it!!

Charles E.
May-08-2014, 7:12pm
Hey, great looking mandolin, maybe I'll see you around town.

Dotneck
May-09-2014, 8:34am
Will you be posting a sound/video clip?

I could post a clip if all you want to hear is a G and a D chord....I'm a pretty fresh mandolin player...

Ron Cox
May-09-2014, 2:26pm
G, C and D all have chord forms that can be played with two fingers. C is just like G but shifted over (towards your heavier strings) by one. So G would be 0032, then C would be 0320. Hope that makes sense. D can be played 2002. They are, IMHO the easiest chords to learn and sound pretty cool when you get to going back and forth between them. Whenever I meet up with someone who plays at any level and we try to play together, I like to start with those in a set order: G-C-G-D-G-C(4 beats each) then G-D (2 beats each) end in G (4 beats). It gets me and whoever is playing in rhythm with each other and is fun because you're actually playing with other people. As you get comfortable, you can each take turns noodling around while the other is playing the rhythm. Those three chords are I think, the most common chords for almost any song out there. You can also build up the chords to full four finger chords and play them up the neck. Regardless, once you start playing something it gets fun. When you are having fun, you don't feel like your working, and it's harder to get discouraged.

I think the song that chord pattern comes from is called "'Bile em cabbage down" It was the first "excercise" that was given in one of my only two lessons that I ever got. I still use it for warm-ups. Hope you find this helpful and lots of fun!

Dotneck
May-09-2014, 2:59pm
G, C and D all have chord forms that can be played with two fingers. C is just like G but shifted over (towards your heavier strings) by one..<snip> ..Hope you find this helpful and lots of fun!

Yup...I recently added the C to my repertoire. The mando is going to my monthly folk music circle jam (I'm a guitar player.) We do a bunch of three chord tunes so I'll see if I can hang on a couple with the mandolin.

And maybe my friend (who is a great player) will hook me up with a few lessons so I don't start out with bad habits.

Ron Cox
May-09-2014, 5:03pm
Sorry, didn't know you were a guitar player. So many people helped me out when I started my adventure, I just wanted to return the favor.

You've got a really sweet mandolin there. I just got my MD 814 and I already am suffering from MAS after seeing yours.

Hope you get years and years of enjoyment out of it.

Dotneck
May-09-2014, 9:52pm
I just got my MD 814 and I already am suffering from MAS after seeing yours.

Ha! Glad I could help!

So far I've been enjoying it. Had fun tonight. I bet I spent half the time on mandolin with the other half on guitar. A friend showed me an Am and an Em so I was able to play a few more songs (badly) than I thought i would attempt on my first public outing...

Had fun.

Ron Cox
May-10-2014, 8:31am
There is a really cool tune in Em that I have been playing around with, you might like it. It's called Swallowtail jig. Pretty easy without ornamentation, but can be dressed up nicely. I'm trying to learn it from a YouTube video. The TABs that I found don't have the ornamentation (which I'm trying to learn) from the video.

I think with your guitar background you'll slam it!

Here's the one I was looking at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WdxL7Fz06U