PDA

View Full Version : Saga (IV) kit finished

Cary Fagan
May-05-2014, 4:20pm
Took me four or five months. I spent some time on reshaping the neck, taking off wood to slim it down and lowering and narrowing the heel (using my Passernig as a model). I gave it a distressed look to make it look less like a kit build (and cover up flaws!). Also the headstock shape (borrowed from another member's build) with a rosewood veneer and the fretboard end. The finish work is definitely the look of a homebuild.

How does it sound? I was careful with thicknesses and shaping the tone bars. It's pretty loud and has a good bark. High end a bit too bright. Not the clarity and punch in the individual notes I'd like. Overall decent, probably as good as I hoped for. 118870 As a second/travel mando, it's good enough, especially as it plays easily.

Thanks for looking.

Cary Fagan
May-05-2014, 4:22pm
Oh, yes, forgot to mention I gave it a speed neck, no varnish. Made the pickguard over some maple leftover from the back of the flat-top I built.

bigskygirl
May-05-2014, 9:19pm
Nice job! I built one of these a few years ago and it came out pretty good. Got a sound clip to post?

Randi Gormley
May-11-2014, 7:09pm
Nice work. Congrats!

AW Meyer
May-12-2014, 10:12am
Cary, you're really getting into this building thing. I've been thinking about it myself, but have no work space. Lame excuse, I guess. One of my pals who has worked with wood and and hand tools all his life put one of these kits together and it didn't come out very good, sound-wise. Yours looks good and you're happy enough with the sound. Good work.

Cary Fagan
May-13-2014, 12:16pm
Thanks, people. Hi, Al. Well, it's just one project at a time. And at the end I always think: too much work, I'll never do that again! We'll see what's next. As for this one, I think the sound is ok--good enough for me to enjoy picking it up. And it did well in the first jam I took it to. If anything, makes me appreciate the work of fine builders even more.

JEStanek
May-14-2014, 8:28am
Nice work!

Jamie

Jim Garber
May-14-2014, 4:04pm
Great, Cary! I need to get back working on my lowly kit and get it done. I had a build partner who got me motivated but he got too busy with another (non-music) project so I am back on my own. Now I am bogged down (?) with music playing. All I really need is time and space but need more of the former.

Your next project, Cary? From scratch build?

Cary Fagan
May-14-2014, 4:55pm
Get on it, Jim! It's a lot of fun to play an instrument that you know inside and out.

And if you're like me, not a perfectionist, it doesn't take forever.

My next project is actually to finish a neck reset on a 1920s Washburn guitar for my wife. I got the neck off--which wasn't easy. Now I have to put it back on.

I have a hankering to build an open back banjo but don't know if I'll do it.

Building does take away from playing time.

billhay4
May-14-2014, 6:36pm
Good job.
Bill

Nick Pooch
May-14-2014, 8:49pm
I think you did a great job with the finish. It's unique in a standout kinda way. I dont know but i really dig the face on it. Really enjoy reading these threads. Makes me want to try my hand at it.

Great job though, look forward to seeing the next.