PDA

View Full Version : Tom Bekeny

banjoboy
May-03-2014, 11:28am
I watched Kathy Kallick's band last night. Great group of musicians. I was especially impressed with Tom Bekeny who plays mandolin in the band. He seems well versed in playing bluegrass, swing, and jazz. Great back-up playing, solid breaks, and even a little humor interspersed here and there in his breaks.

EdSherry
May-03-2014, 4:55pm
Yeah, Tom's been a stalwart in the Bay Area music scene since his days with the Done Gone band. I've had the pleasure of jamming with him a couple of times. Great tone/touch/taste.

Pete Martin
May-04-2014, 12:03am
Top notch musician!

Ivan Kelsall
May-04-2014, 2:31am
Butch Waller's band 'High Country came over to the UK many years back & of course Tom Bekeny was with them. He's a tremendous fiddle player by any standard,so it's no surprise that he's also a great mandolin player. In fact while im on the subject,''High Country'' must be one of the most underrated (underexposed ?) bands in the US. Jim Mintun brought the house down during the Sat.night concert with an incredible rendition of 'Cold Rain & Snow',& Larry Cohea on banjo (self built), made my evening wwith some great playing,
Ivan

Spruce
May-04-2014, 9:53am
I have some great memories of going to hear Tom with Done Gone at the Other Cafe in San Francisco, with the Judah St. streetcar going by outside the foggy windows, and Tom playing "Kentucky Mandolin"...
This would have been around '76 or so, so almost 40 years ago, which is absolutely frightening.

TonyP
May-04-2014, 7:02pm
Tom was the first mandolin player I saw live. He was the mandolin player with Laurie Lewis and Grantstreet in '82. We saw them in a little dive(literally) in Fresno Ca. in the old Olympic Tavern in the old rough part of town. We were the only ones listening to them(the locals were too scared to come down and see them, we didn't know that at the time) and they put on an incredible show. He made me appreciate the Monroe approach of playing mandolin. Scary place, great music.

Jim Taylor
May-04-2014, 8:51pm
Depression Deli in Reno, same time frame. I was taken with his playing, and his sound. He said he had a 'hot mic' that night, but I was sitting 3' from him, and it was powerful!