PDA

View Full Version : Newell F style-Anybody have one?(not you Keith)

flairbzzt
Mar-09-2005, 9:10pm
I'd really like to know how your Newell mandolin plays and sounds. #Is it a keeper?

Tim Saxton
Mar-11-2005, 5:57pm
Somebody please answer this. I am waiting to hear also.

Tim

J. Mark Lane
Mar-11-2005, 6:13pm
Somebody needs to get a hold of one of these darn mandolins, so we can TALK about it.

I volunteer. Keith, send me one. I promise to talk about it.

Mark

Keith Newell
Mar-11-2005, 9:27pm
What?! Mark! there wasn't one in the case I sent??
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Keith

J. Mark Lane
Mar-11-2005, 10:43pm
Yeah, but that was a Loar. I hope you didn't put the wrong one in there. I already sold it -- managed to get $500 for it. Thanks. Now send one of yours.

flairbzzt
Mar-11-2005, 11:04pm
Ok Kieth- I'll let YOU tell me about your F-style mandolins. You may e-mail or PM me if you like. You could send me one too..and I'd even pay you for it!

Keith Newell
Mar-12-2005, 12:34pm
Give the thread a chance, I think they are having so much fun playin em that they arent cruisin the cafe right now http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Keith

flairbzzt
Mar-12-2005, 12:50pm
I cut it twice and it's still too short! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

antrish
Mar-12-2005, 11:11pm
I have one- actually I have his first F style. I have no particular techical expertise about construction details- I can do my own set-ups, barely- and change strings. But I've been a player for many years, and I know my way around a mandolin, if its still light out...with those caveats- this is the finest mandolin I have ever owned\played. My other mandolin, with which I was perfectly happy until this Red Spruce -topped beauty came into my life, spoiling me for any other mandolin, is a Givens teardrop, black-face, with a lovely silvery tone.
And it can't match the resonance and depth of tone of the Newell- and its still a baby-doesn't hardly know its not still a tree. The tone just keeps getting better. (Although I do know Keith personally, he is not paying me a thing for all this.)
\Hope this helps-
Trish ONeil
Portland, OR

markcycling
Mar-14-2005, 8:39am
Howdy, I purchased Keith's "Mermaid" f-style.
I have to tell you all I am just learning to play -so musicly keep that in mind. I do have a substantial backround in furniture making. So the workmanship and fit and finish on this mandolin is absolutly unparalleled .I will tell you what 3 professional level mandolin and guitar players said about it. One said it was THE most beautiful instrument he had EVER seen and it played just as well. Another gentle man has built mandolins and other instruments -He played it and didn't want to give it back-he also took countless pics. of it.The third basicly echoed these same sentiments. Last but not least you won't find a more honest helpful individual than Keith. I hope this helps-Mark Please feel free with any questions I could help with.

neal
Mar-14-2005, 6:37pm
HOLY COW! Trish, you're practically one of the FOUNDERS of the board, and this is your first post?!?!?

Mike Bunting
Mar-14-2005, 9:38pm
Do you have a new website Keith, the one in your profile on the cafe doesn't work.

Keith Newell
Mar-14-2005, 11:37pm
Thanks Mike I didn't know that... I am now in a big discussion between my domain name register and the web-site hosting company. Seems there is gonna be a down time while they unlock my domain to be transfered. Im sure I will get double billed, contact info screwed up, or just general dropped ball kinda issues...oh fun.
Keith

Keith Newell
Mar-14-2005, 11:49pm
Since Im here and waiting for the Live help to resolve my Domain hosting problems I will answer Neals post. Trish has probably misplaced here original login info so created another. I played last night with her at a session. She may be a bit self-depreciating (spelling?) but she is probably one of the most knowledgable people on the mandolin. I find it a vary rare time that you can stump her on a session tune that she cant play or if she doesnt know it by the 3rd time through it shes almost got it down. Trish is a Portland treasure thats for sure.

Keith

Ephraim
Mar-15-2005, 1:49pm
I have a Newell F-style, and here is what I posted a while back on it:

Folks,

I'm the customer. Here are my comments:

1) This instrument is amazing. Put simply, the pictures don't do it justice. This instrument looks and plays like it cost two or three times what I paid Keith for it. Extremely good value for the money. I took it in today to the local music shop to get a strap for it, and the tech at the counter kept straining his neck to see who made the thing. I had to chuckle...

2) The sound is VERY good. Right out of the box it sounded better than I expected. It's got great tone -- my wife could even hear the difference from across the room. I think Keith went the extra mile with this instrument. It's a looker, but more importantly it seems to have a real voice to it... I can only imagine how it will sound in 50 years as it matures. This instrument will be passed down through the generations -- my daughter gets this one when I die. It's generational quality.

3) Keith was easy to work with and very helpful through out the build process. He was patient. And he guided me in my choices when I needed help. It was an enjoyable journey. Keith knows his stuff, and I'm grateful to the folks on the Mandolin Cafe message boards who recommended his name.

Job well done, Keith. Thank you very much for your hard work.

Mando Medic
Mar-16-2005, 9:28am
Keith has brought several of his instruments to my shop for evaluation. For a new builder, he is paying attention to all the details that we mando-geezers whine about. I have been very impressed with his tone and focus of the sound. I think in a short time Keith's instruments will become very sought after.

There Keith, now will you give me that great sounding F-5 that you made that Clyde and I drooled over? Kenc